Skinny Jeans and Nerve Damage

Myrrh

I like slipping into those skinny jeans because I find them flattering. However, I just caught a report that skinny jeans, if too tight, might actually cause a nerve damage condition called "meralgia paresthetica". It refers to pain felt in the front and side of the thigh.

hunysukle

I personally hate skinny jeans. Most people do not have the body type for them, so it looks like they literally have to squeeze into them, which causes their fat rolls to spill over. I'm not surprised that these jeans could cause bodily damage. I bet that's not going to stop people from still trying to wear them. People will do anything to fit in with the current style.

Imagine that these causing nerve damage. I know that I just wear the normal jeans because these seem to cut off circulation for me. However, I hope to get back in shape to the point my normal jeans look like they are skinny jeans.

shaunche

I never knew tight jeans could cause nerve damage, although I knew it can't be good for blood circulation in the legs. My girlfriend wears really tight jeans, I will have to warn her about this because it is quite worrying.

This is something that I haven't heard of. I would think though that wearing jeans that are to tight wouldn't be good for you (or comfortable for that matter).

dissn_it

I have heard about the circulation problem but like others here, I have not heard about nerve damage. I think I am getting to old to wear skinny jeans myself, but will pass the information along to my daughters. This is good to know and thanks for posting it.

This is new to me. I've always heard of tight pants causing circulation issues and yeast infections, but never any nerve damage.

Although I've never heard of this and it is news to me, it does not surprise me one little bit. I mean really, we need to wearing clothes that fits us. Bottom line. I understand why women want to shove their body into a tight little pair of jeans, but it does make sense that if done too much there would be some kind of effect on the body. Does it not?

Aaron

Skinny jeans just don't seem that functional to me, but I have never really understood women's fashion. Pre-emptive apology to any male reading this who wears them...

misumaru15

I hadn't heard of this study. It's just that I don't care for the way these jeans look on anyone. I think you should have some room to breath in your jeans.

Waynefire

Thankfully I just wear regular jeans, but I have enough nerve damage without the skinny jeans. So hopefully people can realize the damage this can make before it becomes a major issue.

SoftRain

I didn't realize skinny jeans can cause nerve damage; hopefully as this news gets out, fewer people will wear them.

I can't wear skinny jeans anyway. I have really large legs. :(

amy71219

I never thought or either circulation of nerve problems because of skinny jeans but then I think skinny jeans look horrible on 90% of the people that wear them and wouldn't be caught dead in them.

Esperahol

It would make sense since the circulation issues would lead to the nerves being starved of blood and thus killing or damaging them. This would lead to pain and issues later on.

I hadn't heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me. I personally don't see the attraction to these "skinny jeans" anyway. Maybe because I see people wearing them who should not be wearing them. I like to be comfortable in my clothes and even though I could now probably fit into the skinny jeans, I won't be buying any.

They said this about low riding hipster jeans as well a few years ago, didn't they? Why do people love to wear things that cause health problems?

beckyv1265

I am just not a fashion diva. lol I wear what ever I grab out of the closet first. Its usually soft and comfortable. If I am leaving the house I do check for holes and stains. lol

AnonaMoss

I imagine that jeans tight enough to cause nerve damage would also be too tight to walk in and cause yeast infections in women. I can't believe that someone would actually have this problem. I also imagine that jeans that tight would be very unsightly.

I like wearing skinny jeans. I feel that they look good. I wasn't aware about it causing nerve damage. That is kind of scary. I don't feel that my jeans are that tight where it is really cutting off my circulation, but never thought about it being bad for me. I should definitely think about this the next time I am shopping and want to browse in the skinny jean section.

artistry

I would not be surprised that the jeans could cause nerve damage. Wearing anything that is constraining in such a way, is going to cause some circulation problems and continuous wearing would worsen it.