Skinny Jeans and Nerve Damage

beyreNC

I'm very much a plain jane when it comes to clothing ... more of a tomboy ... baggy t-shirts and shorts are comfy and that matters more to me than being part of the latest fashion fad. I don't find it surprising that there is some negative health effect from skinny jeans. Consistent wearing of many of women's fashions have negative health effects, such as constantly wearing of high heals reshapes the calf muscles that leads to back problems, wearing too tight of clothing leads to circulation problems and yeast infections, etc.

And then you have the aesthetics factor, such as previously mentioned about those who shouldn't be wearing tight/skinny shorts or jeans doing so only to have their flab hanging out - overall making the person look worse. I just don't get it. :oops:

Ankh

I like slipping into those skinny jeans because I find them flattering. However, I just caught a report that skinny jeans, if too tight, might actually cause a nerve damage condition called "meralgia paresthetica". It refers to pain felt in the front and side of the thigh.
Where is this report?
This sounds almost too funny to be true.

ssamcd

Yes, I read that not so long ago. Those skinny jeans are so tight I have not idea how the girls wear them. I would imagine they cut off the circulation as well. :)

mudrock

I don't wear skinny jeans but I do know that if something is causing part of your body pain on a constant basis, some type of damage would occur during long term. I don't know if I really buy the idea of serious injury over a pair of jeans but anything is possible.

Waynefire

I am glad to see that so many people are identifying with me. I know that nerve damage is bad because I have some and it is from a spinal cord injury, not from the jeans,

freshfoodie

I think that any piece of clothing that is worn too tightly can cause nerve damage because it keeps blood flow restricted. I don't think that is reserved for skinny jeans. I wear skinny jeans but I wear them in the correct size. I think a lot of people these days tend to wear their clothes about 2 sizes too small.

Esperahol

I think that any piece of clothing that is worn too tightly can cause nerve damage because it keeps blood flow restricted. I don't think that is reserved for skinny jeans. I wear skinny jeans but I wear them in the correct size. I think a lot of people these days tend to wear their clothes about 2 sizes too small.
Actually isn't that the new trend in men's fashion? Wearing clothes that look entirely too small. I saw it on one of the morning shows, and like none of the male models looked a bit happy to be dressed as they were.