Power of prayer

Irma

I have really come to appreciate the power of prayer. I have always meditated, but that is different. Do you know what I am saying here? Many doctors attest to its health benefits.

Truth be told, half the efficacy of any treatment lies in the mind of the patient. Time and again, doctors have found this out with the use of placebos.

So, depending the strength of a person's faith, prayer can work wonders. To an unbeliever, it's worthless.

I believe that prayer only works if you believe it will work, which is basically FAITH. :) I can enumerate a lot of moments in my life wherein prayer has worked for me and how I feel like it gives me strength in every situation in my life.

Prayer may give patients calmness and serenity, which may help them in their conditions, since for a span of time, they will feel relaxed and stress-less.

lettuce

Prayer is in the business of confirmation bias. If you hope for something and it happens to work out that way, you dupe yourself into thinking that it had something to do with your "prayer". If the event doesn't work out in your favor, you ignore the fact that your prayer didn't work.

SEA81

I know it helps me. Whenever I am distressed, I have to take a moment to remind myself to stop and pray. It has a calming effect, even if I don't get instant gratification.

Tecca_Nina

Prayer is something that helps me personally, so I do it every night before I go to sleep or during the day if I feel I really have to. Whether it actually works or not is a whole different story and irrelevant to the question. It can help your spirits either way.

Hyacinth

I do pray when I'm distressed. Praying gives me a sense of serenity and establishes my connection with an ultimate being and power, whoever that is. :)

mecallatress

I understand what you are saying. Prayer relieves stress, and it also gives you hope, and cause you to be more relaxed. Because stress is a major factor in getting well, it helps you to heal mentally and physically.

Lena51

Prayer is very powerful no matter what anyone say or do. When you pray, you become more come and peaceful within yourself. Prayer has the effect of coming your everyday stressors and keeps you more relaxed. It has the healing effects on the brain waves. I just love the way I feel after I pray because I know God and my Angels are listening to me quietly.

btatro

For me, meditation is more powerful for me than prayer. But, I guess I incorporate prayer into my meditation. I practice positive self talk and thought and am a spiritual person. They do kind of go hand in hand.

Lyra

Actually, there was a study done in which there was a group of people who were, if I remember correctly, were infertile and trying for a baby. They had a group of people who prayed for one half. Then there was a group who didn't. I think maybe they just thought about the folks or something? Anyway, the results were clearly in favor of the group that was prayed for. They had a statistically significantly better outcome.

Parker

I definitely believe in the power of prayer. There a more than a few people who attend my church who have been healed by prayer. Some of their stories are pretty amazing.

2Nature

Power of the prayer has just one aspect when it comes to benefits that you receive from it. And that is to whom are you praying. I believe in positive thinking but God is the One that answers our prayers.

misumaru15

I do believe in the power of prayer. I think there is something to be said for it. When people are praying on your behalf or you are praying for yourself, it creates a very positive atmosphere.

natuska

Many years ago I was depressed and totality sad. Anything that I made was empty to my soul. Then little by little I started with prayers and consequently with meditations. Every day when I wake up I sit down in my bed and I get a few minutes in completely silence and no thought inside my mind. After I pray thanks for me to can open my eyes again and to breath! In the night I do the same but chaging the kinds...My life has got better each day more!

artistry

Prayer is essential to my life, I do not do a formal prayer, but moreso, I just talk to my Lord. It is very important to me, that I am connected to a larger force that protects me from day to day. Without that connection, I would be lost.

hunysukle

I definitely believe that prayer can really help in any situation. I don't subscribe to any religion, but I still believe in the power of prayer. I also try to meditate on a daily basis to find peace and serenity.

shaunche

Praying will help some people, it consoles them and gives them strength. However, prayers will never be answered because there is no such thing as God. Pray every day to be skinny and beautiful, I guarantee it will not happen.

Lyra

Praying will help some people, it consoles them and gives them strength. However, prayers will never be answered because there is no such thing as God. Pray every day to be skinny and beautiful, I guarantee it will not happen.
I think you may have the wrong idea about what prayer is. It is not a bank account that you can go to withdrawal whatever you like. Prayer is a conversation, drawing closer to someone who wants to have a relationship with you. Those of us who do believe in God, and know him, find that our prayers are answered, more and more, the closer we draw to him.

beckyv1265

As an athiest I don't think of prayer at all. I guess I am just in the practice of working out my own issues rather than having some magical being in the sky do it for me. I say whatever works for you. If it makes you happy then do it.