Positive Thinking

I try to be positive, but life really gets me down a lot. It's easy to hear all these things about "think positive!" but it's usually said by people who aren't suffering at the moment. How do you "stay positive" when you are struggling with death of a loved one, or when you are flat broke with no hope? What do you think of the positive thinking doctrine?

I try to stay positive as well but it is difficult. People always say "Stay positive" which is actually harder than it sounds! You have to train and recondition your mind to get used to thinking positive. It may not be an easy task but the benefits are worth the effort.

Sugarhill

Well, some things you cannot change, such as death. However, being flat broke with no hope is something that you can change. There are a lot of ways to make money on and offline, but it may not be what you are used to. That's not what you can focus on at this time though. You have to do whatever you can legally do to survive and do it well.

The positive thinking about it is that you see you have more money than you did before, you may learn of better ways, more efficient to complete the jobs that you are doing and you may hear of better paying versions of what you are doing and now you know how to do it, so you can hit the ground running.

How do you think positive? By thinking positive.

lettuce

I think it does pay to be positive. Granted, you don't have to be overly or falsely positive, just see the good in any situation that arises. If that's not possible, it's still not the end of the world. Time can fix things where a positive attitude can't.

Luvkenny

It's hard! I guess you just try to stay as positive as you can. Try to surround yourself with uplifting people. It's ok to grieve the loss of a loved one. You can grieve and still be positive.

Hyacinth

I have a male friend who believes a lot in the Law of Attraction. Our conversations are almost always about thinking positive in order to attract positive energy. It's easy to say 'Be positive', but when you're feeling as if everything was going downhill, it is hard to stick to the principle.

hunysukle

I used to practice positive affirmations every day. They only work if you really believe it. If you just say, "think positive" but actually think negative, it won't work. Positivity has to come from within for it to work. Staying truly positive does make situations less stressful and they usually turn out better than if you're negative. However, it can be annoying hearing people who never experience anything negative preaching "think positive" when you are going through a negative situation.

shaunche

The effects of positive thinking are dramatic. How you think affects how you feel, think positively and you will feel positive, confident and optimistic in the present and about the future. I have been using positive thinking for years now and it has helped me greatly.

I know it sounds cliche, but positive thinking really can change your life, because it changes your mindset. I found a quote recently, and I wish I knew who to credit for it, that says, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." While many things are out of your control, like the death of a loved one or the loss of a job, how you react to those things are within your control. Choose to react in a positive manner. Choose to look at the death of that loved one as a positive continuance of their existence, or at least as an end to their suffering. Choose to look at the loss of a job as the opportunity to find a better job where you'll be happier. Choose to look at being broke as a test of your budgeting abilities. There's something to be learned from every situation, even the bad ones, and you'll come out stronger for having been through such hard times. :)

freshfoodie

I am a very positive person. No matter how hopeless a situation seems, it will always get better even if it gets worse first. There is always hope, you just have to be the change you want to see.

jason

Have a great day
I try to be positive, but life really gets me down a lot. It's easy to hear all these things about "think positive!" but it's usually said by people who aren't suffering at the moment. How do you "stay positive" when you are struggling with death of a loved one, or when you are flat broke with no hope? What do you think of the positive thinking doctrine?

I am always one of those that says stay positive, look for something good. Do I get down sometimes, yes. But I pick myself back up. Is it easy; no. It takes work. Like riding a bike. The first time you fell off did you just say you cannot do it, no you got back on and fell again, only to get back on again.

If you are flat broke, look at the spending. Where did the money go? What can I sell to get me through? Try to work through it. Will I be happy about being broke? Nope. But I've been there before and got myself out, and I would like to think I could do it again.

To improve my mood I may go out in the garden, or get outside in some sort of way. For me, getting outside, working in the garden, floating around on my kayak fishing allows me to think more clearly and improves my attitude.

Things tend to happen for a reason, find the reason and you can work your way to a new beginning.

beckyv1265

I think that this is a load of crap. Life is going to happen you might as well get over your self and stop whining. Do something positive and stop worrying about your feelings all the time. Busy people don't have the time to worry about nonsense. Only you can decide if you are going to be happy or not. Stuff going on around you should never make a difference.

Sugarhill

I think that this is a load of crap. Life is going to happen you might as well get over your self and stop whining. Do something positive and stop worrying about your feelings all the time. Busy people don't have the time to worry about nonsense. Only you can decide if you are going to be happy or not. Stuff going on around you should never make a difference.
:eek: Well, dag. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Should a person allow themselves to fall into a long period of depression, no. But, things going on around you do make a difference and they can spur you on or sidetrack you immensely.

You sound like a person that has never really had anything of consequence happen to them or have had so much that you are numb to it all. I hope it's the former.

Uh, who are you talking to? It doesn't really matter actually; I think that is extremely rude. Speaking of positivity, if you don't have anything positive to say, then you should keep it moving. Sheesh.

:eek: Well, dag. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Should a person allow themselves to fall into a long period of depression, no. But, things going on around you do make a difference and they can spur you on or sidetrack you immensely.

You sound like a person that has never really had anything of consequence happen to them or have had so much that you are numb to it all. I hope it's the former.
It's really ironic that this thread is about "positive thinking," when that poster is the most negative person I've seen since I've been on this forum. Smh, lol.

I used to practice positive affirmations every day. They only work if you really believe it. If you just say, "think positive" but actually think negative, it won't work. Positivity has to come from within for it to work. Staying truly positive does make situations less stressful and they usually turn out better than if you're negative. However, it can be annoying hearing people who never experience anything negative preaching "think positive" when you are going through a negative situation.
I think I'm going to focus on positive thinking first thing in the morning, then keep working throughout the day to improve the situation. I think it's very hard to deal with death of a loved one, but I know they wouldn't want my to be sad forever.

beckyv1265

It's really ironic that this thread is about "positive thinking," when that poster is the most negative person I've seen since I've been on this forum. Smh, lol.
Actualy I have lived through much adversity in my life probably more than most peole. However I have never felt the need to sit around and whine about it endlessly. Shit is always going to happen. People need to get over it and move on. I think that whining about your problems is self defeating. People can fall into a trap of woe is me instead of actually living life. Yesterday is gone. reflect on what you learned and move forward. I think thats why moving helped the other woman. She was suddenly with people who were actualy living life rather than focusing on what is wrong with hers. Life is often messy and tragic. It doesn't have to be who you are just something that has happened. You get up dust yourself off and get back in the fray.

beckyv1265

Its funny because most of the people who know me find me the most positve person they know. I am always laughing and happy. But I am extreamly honest and people who can't deal with honesty tend to not like what I say. I am saying get off your duff and live.

Sugarhill

Plenty of people are always laughing and happy in front of others while endlessly crying on the inside and by themselves. That's why so many people are shocked when those types of people kill themselves, so that description has nothing to do with who you really are.

What you say and said are truly a reflection of your true self and it sounds like you are ridiculously bitter and jaded. I don't have a problem with that, it's your life, but don't get bent out of joint when someone calls you on it. You said it yourself: you've lived through a lot of adversity, probably more than most people.

Instead of that adversity making you more sensitive to the perils of others, it's made you hard and callous as you don't believe what they've gone through measures up to what you've gone through. You haven't moved as far forward as you would like to believe.

It's not that ironic, nor is she necessarily a negative person. Anybody who claims to be happy all the time is probably lying. Real people struggle with their feelings (or else they give in completely, and those are negative people).