Pap Avoidance

lettuce

Do any other females try to avoid getting Pap smears if they can?

I live somewhere where they basically force you to get a Pap every year if you wish to receive birth control. I think they do it to ensure as many women as possible are getting Paps, but every year, really? I've had 3 or 4 and I'm only in my mid-twenties (monogamous and STD-free). Seems like overkill if you ask me.

MarBell

I put them off as long as I feel I can, but then I feel so guilty I call and schedule an appointment. If anything ever shows up, I'm sure I'll regret not having gone earlier. It's just hard to keep up with everything the way we should.

chabella

All Lady
I never have unless its been that random time of the month. For me using Mirena that hardly ever happens (maybe 6 times in the past few years), but guess what I got this month? Guess who also has an appointment to reschedule.

wanderingherb

I have them every year. They are not performed to find just std's. This ccan be a life saving situation if a tumor you can't feel shows up.

SoftRain

I think they are important and every year used to be the recommendation anyway. However, I don't think pap smears should be a requirement for obtaining birth control.

rayne

Well I'm probably older than the rest of you and my Doctor still wants me to have one. I am going to try and talk her out of it the next time I go. After you reach a certain age, I think it's ridiculous.

strawberry

My doctor recommends that I have one every two years. It's certainly not the most pleasant procedure, but the short term discomfort is worth it for the peace of mind it brings.

alr2988

I have kind of been avoiding my yearly check up. I haven't been for one since early 2010, but I know I need to go. The kinds of stuff the look for in a pap are things you wouldn't have any signs with if something was wrong until it was too late.

clewand550

I go every year. Cancer runs in my family so I just want to be on the safe side. I had a good friend that kept putting her pap off and finally after 4 years of putting it off, went in for a pap smear. She ended up having cancer. It was devastating for both her and her family. She ended up having surgery and is fine. She will never wait that long ago. It is always better to have one done annually to be on the safe side. You just never know. I would strongly recommend everyone have one done annually. They recommend all girls/women that once they become sexually active start having a pap smear done annually, according to my ob.

I avoid them and have never had them done. My midwife said that it isn't something that you NEED to have done and it is your choice. I don't feel like they are necessary, but that is just me. You have already had 3-4 done and you are only in your mid-twenties, does sound like a lot.

Lcd975

I don't think anyone is particularly enamored with the dreaded pap smear. My Dr often jokes that the stirrups are my friend...I tend to disagree. I wish that paps could be done after ALL other tests have been done first but I begrudgingly understand their importance.

misumaru15

It's definitely not a pleasant experience. However I have had female problems, dysmenorrhea and fibroids and heavy heavy periods. I have pretty much gotten them regularly. I know they are to check the health of your cervix.

UmiNoor

It's such an intrusive procedure. I hate it. I haven't done a pap smear in a long time. And since I buy my pills from a private pharmacy, they never force me to get a pap smear. I try to postpone getting one as long as I can.

Jessi

I require them yearly, too, in order to get birth control. I've actually had some major problems with gynos as well, so you would think I would avoid them like the plague.

Realistically, though, the exam only takes a few minutes and I think it's good for catching issues early. If they call to say my pap wasn't normal, then whatever is wrong can likely be taken care of much easier than it would've been had I waited a few years to have another exam. And while I do self-breast exams, there's no harm in having a doctor check over things while I'm already there. They also have records of my previous weight, blood pressure, etc, and would be able to spot irregularities that I might not.

So yeah, I hate them and sometimes it feels excessive, but realistically, I know I wouldn't go at all if it weren't required for the birth control. I don't go to the doctor at all otherwise, so it's the only time I see a medical professional.

msdstnctv

I had the worst pap experience in the history of the exam about 10 years ago. Due to that horrific experience, I avoided them up until I got pregnant with my youngest daughter. I have to go annually now due to my family history, but I put it off as long as possible.

kyleesmommy09

I really hate pap smears but after my mom got diagnosed with cervical cancer and had to have a hysterectomy, I have a new respect for them. Yes, they are uncomfortable for all parties involved, (I mean who wants things shoved up their naughty bits) but they could be life saving. I just go in there and stare at the ceiling and wait for it to be over and when it is I treat myself to a Starbucks.

I do not put them off because I did put them off for a few years at a time because they were always normal. Then I went in one year and happened to come back the next and had pre-cancerous cells. Now I go every year no matter what. It was scary to think that I might have missed something had I not found out soon enough that there was a problem. I do understand your feelings, but in my personal experience, I am glad to put up with the minor inconvenience now in order to catch something early if I can!

BrittneyD

I honestly hate getting pap smears. I always feel so embarrassed, even though I know that the doctors are not looking at me in any other way but professional. It is just uncomfortable for me. I honestly do try to avoid them, but it is harder in my situation. My risk for ovarian cancer is high, so they always want to check me out to make sure that everything is ok.

Pap smears are as much as possible required annually for women 18 years old and above. Cancer chooses no one and no time when it attacks. Pap smear is not used for birth control, it is used to detect any abnormalities in your cervix. Whether you have cancer or not, early detection and prevention is still better than cure.

konstantina

I have a test every year, too and I don't think it's awful. It lasts like five seconds and it doesn't hurt at all. You know it can actually - literally save you from cancer! Just don't think about it too much and schedule something you like doing right after that.