NYC Mayor Bloomberg Wants To Ban Soda

SifuPhil

Well, at least any soda that's over 16 ounces ...

New York City and the Bloomberg administration plan to enact a ban on the sale large sodas and other sugary drinks at movie theaters, restaurants, and even street vendors in an effort to fight obesity. The proposed ban, announced Wednesday in the Governor's Room at City Hall, would affect the menu of almost every popular sugary drink in delis, fast-food restaurants, and even sports arenas. In fact, the sale of any cup or bottle of the beverage larger than 16 fluid ounces would be prohibited.
source

What do you think - is this a smart move, or just another move to take away our freedoms?Personally I wonder how this ban could be enforced - couldn't someone just order multiples of smaller-sized containers?

SoftRain

I don't think it'll be effective. As you said, people could just order multiples of smaller amounts, or the vendors may just increase the price but offer free refills, so people can drink as much as they did before.

I also really love my soda and get irritated at the thought of someone taking it away. I know it's bad for me, but can't I have one vice?

Lyra

All that is going to do is put more money in the pockets of vendors or restauranteurs. That is not going to help fight obesity. I agree that processed foods and sodas are a reason we have an obesity problem. But laws like this do more harm then good.

Esperahol

... Will this effect the size of the bottles I can get at the store? 'Cause I don't buy drinks at resturants and movie theathers either. I mean I always just buy (and sneak in) my own. So I guess I'll be buying four or five very large bottles from the dollar store like always. Mmmm.

beckyv1265

I think its about money. people will be forced to buy multiples at a higher price than one larger one. We all know its cheaper to buy soda in the 2 or 3 liter bottles. SO now you have to buy a case of smaller at more cost. The drink companies will make more money that way. I wonder who is pulling Bloomburgs strings?

Sugarhill

If they can allow people to smoke, even with all of the restrictions that they have enforced, then I should have the right to drink soda. Now, personally I drink more tea than anything else, but I still want my Coca-Cola products to be available to me when I so desire one.

I can't imagine this actually passing though. It's too much money involved to let that happen in NYC. There are 10 million people in Manhattan alone!

Luvkenny

I agree with sugarhill on this one. I don't think it's the Governments job to tell me how much soda I can drink in 1 day. I'm not hurting anyone but myself. I tend to drink more diet soda or Ice Tea but I still don't want Mayor Bloomberg telling me I can't order a Large Coke from McDonalds.

Sugarhill

The other reason why this sounds so ridiculous: what happens when people want to throw a party or a picnic? Even if you are willing to keep the amount under 16 oz., it's still cheaper to buy 2 liter bottles. How will the increase in smaller portion sizes affect the environment from all of the excess plastic bottles?

I believe even less that this is going to pass. There are too many legitimate reasons to shut this down.

Parker

I agree that sugary sodas are unhealthy. But this isn't the way to deal with it. I don't like these types of bills because they try to replace personal responsibility.

If people want to get the soda they will. They will just have to travel out of the city and then bring it back in with them. What are they going to do have the cops stop all the cars and check them for soda over 16 ounces?

dissn_it

I think this is a bit silly for the government to attempt to regulate soda pop. I think our taxpayer dollars can be put to better usues than this.

Esperahol

Another note is that it's only sodas - not milkshakes or alcholic drinks or drinks with at least 70% juice or coffee (with sugar). Heck it doesn't even go after diet drinks, so it's bascially kind of a scam or something.

beckyv1265

Its a distraction from other more important issues. I aagree with the idea of maaking healthy food more available at a cheaper cost.

misumaru15

Ugg, this is a bit misguided. He should be more concerned about making healthy food more cost effective. It is often cheaper to eat the junk. I try to buy as healthy as I can.

I'm less interested in this law and more in the mindset that facilitated its creation. We live in a society where everybody wants to outsource their personal responsibility to either the government or a corporation. Doctors say "you shouldn't be drinking so much soda" and the people in turn say "well they shouldn't be selling it to us!" They can't sell what you don't consume and won't buy. Doctors say "you need to exercise portion control" and the people in turn say "well the diner shouldn't bring me so much food!" Then of course, everybody gets mad when the diner offers less food but doesn't lower the price.

SifuPhil

If people want to get the soda they will. They will just have to travel out of the city and then bring it back in with them. What are they going to do have the cops stop all the cars and check them for soda over 16 ounces?
LOL - when I was a kid in NY the big con was for people to drive down to Virginia to buy tax-free, inexpensive cigarettes by the trunk-load and sell them back in NY. I can just see people smuggling huge bottles of Dr. Pepper in their Priuses. :D

The other reason why this sounds so ridiculous: what happens when people want to throw a party or a picnic? Even if you are willing to keep the amount under 16 oz., it's still cheaper to buy 2 liter bottles. How will the increase in smaller portion sizes affect the environment from all of the excess plastic bottles?

I believe even less that this is going to pass. There are too many legitimate reasons to shut this down.
Actually, the ban is only in places like restaurants, movie theaters, etc. You can still by a two liter bottle at a grocery store to serve at a party.

When you consider that people in the ghetto tend to sneak their own food into movie theaters anyway (and who can blame them with those prices) it kind of makes me wonder what's the point of this law.

Waynefire

This is sad, I am sure Starbucks will be up in arms about this because the Venti drinks are 20 ounces. Can you imagine the cut in the business or even the number of people buying more then one drink at the smaller size to get their fix?

Sugarhill

Actually, the ban is only in places like restaurants, movie theaters, etc. You can still by a two liter bottle at a grocery store to serve at a party.

When you consider that people in the ghetto tend to sneak their own food into movie theaters anyway (and who can blame them with those prices) it kind of makes me wonder what's the point of this law.

I'm only responding to this post to point out just how stupid you sound stating that people in the ghetto sneak in their own food, when it's more of a situation of cheap people that sneak in food and cheap people exist in all walks of life. Try not to ever quote another one of my posts on this board, because I do without conversing with such an obvious idiot. Thanks.

Esperahol

I'm only responding to this post to point out just how stupid you sound stating that people in the ghetto sneak in their own food, when it's more of a situation of cheap people that sneak in food and cheap people exist in all walks of life. Try not to ever quote another one of my posts on this board, because I do without conversing with such an obvious idiot. Thanks.
Hey calm down. I know it was a stupid post and I was going say something, but I'm one of those cheap, ghetto people who sneaks food in as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Ghetto is one of those words which has had it's original meaning sort of fade in exchange for it being a catchall for everything. Kind of like the words "retarded" or "gay". I really doubt this was meant to be a posting against any particular group of people.