Natural methods to good sleeping

The only way I am able to fall asleep is on my side. It is really hard for me to sleep on my back. I usually move around a lot during the night and may end up on my back or stomach, but actually falling asleep that way is near impossible. Thanks for posting these natural methods to good sleeping! It is very appreciated.

shaunche

The only way I am able to fall asleep is on my side. It is really hard for me to sleep on my back. I usually move around a lot during the night and may end up on my back or stomach, but actually falling asleep that way is near impossible. Thanks for posting these natural methods to good sleeping! It is very appreciated.
I'm the same, I can't sleep on my back, I have to sleep on my side. This is quite bad for your back, chest and shoulders because the side you are lying on will be pushed forward. Most of the strains I suffer are on my right side, the side I sleep on.

artistry

Thanks for the good tips. They should be useful. Sleeping with a pillow is said to cause wrinkles and a double chin, so better not to use one, if you can do without it.

meowcow

Thanks for the tips! I've also just found this out recently. I used to sleep on my side but recently it has been getting harder and harder for me to fall asleep so I finally tried out this position properly and I was surprised at how comfortable it was and it just felt natural. I feel sleepy a lot faster when I do this than any other trick like teas or pills. I like this because it is and feels natural. Thanks again!

Ja'cobeC

I never knew this stuff, I will try this tonight and see how it goes. Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to sleep tonight lol.

shaunche

Another trick you can use to improve your sleep is to eat before bed! Eating a meal with carbohydrates before bed will keep you feeling satiated through the night. You will not be able to sleep if you are hungry and waking up in the middle of the night feeling hungry will disrupt your sleep.

ohiotom76

Sometimes it's the sound of silence that makes it hard for me to sleep, so I leave the TV on. But I'm sure I'm probably not getting the right kind of deep sleep by doing that since I usually wake up groggy anyhow. I heard that when you sleep while drunk, your body doesn't get into the deep sleep it usually does.

They do manufacture white noise machines that will create a calming windy hissing noise. I used to have one of these years ago and it did help. Also helps drown out outside noises (like if you live in an apartment).

ashmonn

Your method works, since switching from multiple pillows to only a single one, I have found that I don't wake up, as often, throughout the night and I also feel more refreshed when I rise in the morning. It is amazing what this simple adjustment has done for my energy levels.

misumaru15

I know that I have to say a prayer before retiring. I also find that a bath or shower helps immensely. I know a comfy pillows helps too.

shaunche

Sometimes it's the sound of silence that makes it hard for me to sleep, so I leave the TV on. But I'm sure I'm probably not getting the right kind of deep sleep by doing that since I usually wake up groggy anyhow. I heard that when you sleep while drunk, your body doesn't get into the deep sleep it usually does.

They do manufacture white noise machines that will create a calming windy hissing noise. I used to have one of these years ago and it did help. Also helps drown out outside noises (like if you live in an apartment).
I'm the same, the silence makes you more aware of your thoughts and once you become focused on your thoughts you will find it difficult to sleep. I often fall asleep whilst watching the TV, but the TV will probably wake you in the middle of the night.

Pushhyarag2000

Apart from comfortable positions to sleep, snoring could be caused by irregular breathing in involuntary state during sleep. Irregular breathing in turn may be due to lack of due attention when awake or due to problems with nasal septum (conditions like deviated septum etc). The septum issues must be corrected either through medications prescribed or through surgery. Correct breathing habits must be cultivated in other cases.

The advice on position and number of pillows though seems to be helpful. I get good sleep when I keep a pillow in between legs. Another issue that can affect sleep is the temperature/humidity in your bed room. The right ambiance can support good sleep.

shaunche

I like to place a pillow between my legs as well. I usually sleep on my side and placing a pillow between my legs takes pressure off of the spine. Placing a pillow between your legs just feels better. I even do it when I am laying on my side and awake.

I personally find that temperature and humidity is the most essential factor for me. A bath 30 minutes before bed is also important. Exercise can make me tried, but I find it leads to me to having naps during the day rather than falling asleep at night, they say don't exercise at night as it will wake you up, but for some people it has the opposite effect.

The best way to sleep is to lie flat on bed with no pillow below the head and only one pillow below the knees. This ensures correct spinal positioning. You are maintaining the natural curvature of the spine so there is no tension or pressure. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can put only one pillow below your head.
I've been told this more than once, but I have a difficult time lying down with no pillow under my head. I don't know why, but it feels more comfortable to have a thick pillow. Perhaps I should try it anyway and see if my sleeping improves?

ProForums777

Not wearing to many clothes is the way to go, it feels natural. However, there is no science to sleeping, just make sure that you feel comfortable when you go to sleep. Don't create high pressure points, else you going to wake up feeling like a piece of broken glass.

I have to sleep on my side surrounded by pillows to maintain a certain body position. I should probably go to a doctor and get checked out but I found something that works so I survive.

shaunche

A 'natural method' I have adopted which significantly improves the quality of my sleep is to drastically reduce my water intake. I used to drink 4 to 5 liters of water per day and I would wake 2-3 times during the night needing to urinate. I now drink when I feel thirsty and I avoid drinking too late at night.

CuriousJ

I personally have found that having a light dinner atleast 3 hours before I go to bed results in me sleeping like a baby. The science behind this is that it's harder to fall asleep when the body's energy is tied up in digestion.

There are some herbal teas that can help as well. Chamomile tea is excellent.

Oh and try not to engage in any activities that intensely stimulate the mind before bed.

shaunche

I personally have found that having a light dinner atleast 3 hours before I go to bed results in me sleeping like a baby. The science behind this is that it's harder to fall asleep when the body's energy is tied up in digestion.

There are some herbal teas that can help as well. Chamomile tea is excellent.

Oh and try not to engage in any activities that intensely stimulate the mind before bed.
Good points. You need to unwind hours before you go to bed, engage in activities you find relaxing. Reducing your exposure to artificial light before bed will also help.

I've started drinking chamomile, it does make me feel quite drowsy but I'm not sure if that is the psychological effect. Are there any studies on chamomile, do we know WHY is makes us sleepy?