Men Hugging Men?

xenon

We see it in sports. Sometimes we wonder whether they are getting a bit two friendly when they score a goal in soccer.:rolleyes:
The cyclists in the Tour de France continuously kissed cheeks of both sexes.:)
But do you give another man a man hug when you haven't seen someone for a while?

Esperahol

Why wouldn't you give another man a hug after you haven't seen them in a while? Touching another male is not going to make gay... promise. Hypermasculinity leads to so many problems in the world...

Jessi

I'm obviously not a man....

But I know plenty of men who will embrace another man they haven't seen in a long while, especially if they're family or close friends. It doesn't even require there to be a long gap in visiting, but rather, simply used as a greeting.

xenon

I sure do, though I usually let them initiate it...
I'm somewhere in this category. From my experience not all men will hug. The old hippies tend to but the more conservatives don't. It may be a cultural thing here not to. Shaking hands is very common though.

misumaru15

I know plenty of men that hug. They often do this even if they are tough guys. I think it can be cultural also.

Sugarhill

I'm somewhere in this category. From my experience not all men will hug. The old hippies tend to but the more conservatives don't. It may be a cultural thing here not to. Shaking hands is very common though.
A chest to chest hug? Maybe not, but most men give pounds. There are plenty of women that don't give chest to chest hugs. However, the hug becomes an option depending on the relationship. People that are closer to each other and truly friends, not just buddies or acquaintances will hug each other, chest to chest.

Sure, I'll give a hug. I'm not into the butt slaps like baseball players, that has always seemed a little off putting to me. It also seems to depend on how much people have had to drink. More booze = more hugs!:p

Jatelo2

We see it in sports. Sometimes we wonder whether they are getting a bit two friendly when they score a goal in soccer.:rolleyes:
The cyclists in the Tour de France continuously kissed cheeks of both sexes.:)
But do you give another man a man hug when you haven't seen someone for a while?
I do not see hugging someone I have Missed for a long time as a problem at all. Also giving a hug to congratulate someone is not offensive to me. However I'm a Conservative who would not find it very interesting to be kissed on the cheeks by either a man or woman.

sandooch

My husband will hug his brothers and my father, but not his friends. But I seriously don't think he has a problem if any of his friends reach out to hug him first. It doen't make him feel uncomfortable in any way. Well, maybe if they were one of those looooong huggers, but that makes me uncomfortable, too...male or female hugger. :p

gina121

It is a social custom in some cultures for men to hug. While a pat on the back, hand over the other's shoulder or a handshake are more common, I have seen many men hug each other too especially when they are meeting after a long gap. But kissing on the cheek is a rarer sight.:p

shaunche

I'm not very touchy feely with people I don't know well. I remember when I came back from travelling after a few years away and I felt a little awkward hugging my family, it's just the way I am I suppose. I prefer to hug when I want to, not when I feel obligated to.

writer811

I will absolutely hug and kiss my male friends if I haven't seen them in awhile. Usually the kiss is on the cheek or forehead but lips are not out of the question as many people believe a kiss on the lips can be friendly and nonromantic in nature. Then again, I am bisexual, so...

SifuPhil

I always use what they call the "Bouncer Hug" - clasp right hands together (no shaking), push right shoulder into HIS right shoulder and a slap on the back. It used to be sort of a secret handshake to recognize a brother in the trade, but now I see it all over the place.

The perception I've always had is that European men are more into hugging (and kissing on the cheek) then Americans - we tend to be an uptight group.

Other than that, no - not into chest/chest, chest/back or whatever. :eek:

misumaru15

Although I'm not a man, I believe this varies by culture. American men tend to be less likely to full on hug. Men in other countries such as Korea, and European countries seem to be less rigid.

I know very few men who are willing to hug each other, and every single one of them is willing to hug me, haha! The men I know who are indeed willing to hug other men tend to be hipsters, or else they're not American. Americans, especially the more conservative types, tend to be too "macho" for that.

chabella

All Lady
I think some people are just crazy when it comes to things like this. I know I have people I hug and people I don't but in all honestly, its 9 out of 10 times a male that hugs a little too much if you know what I mean.

beckyv1265

I don't think that hugging is gender specific. I think its more about personal space. I am not a hugger but tolerate when people hug me out of respect to their needs. My husband is a hugger. He always huggs people men or woman . Its just his nature. I have never questioned his masculinity. He is definately alpha male. He is just very affectionate. His family are all huggers. I don't recall ever hugging anyone in my family and had to overcome my personal space violations because I recognised the need in some people to do this. I am not opposed to hugging just never felt the need for me.