Making your own beauty products

Carolynn

Have any of you ladies tried making your own beauty products at home? I have recently come across some recipes for salt and sugar scrubs, face washes, and moisturizer. I am hoping I can make some quality products and save a little money too!

Hyacinth

Oh yes! At least once a week, I use homemade facial and body scrubs. I usually combine oatmeal with milk and sometimes add a little honey then scrub the mixture to my face. Sugar mixed with honey also gives an exfoliating effect.

Brea

I made a bannana mask for my hair one time. It was suppose to do something good, but I can not remember what it was. Boy, was that a mess to clean up out of my bathroom and tub!

I've recently started using a mixture of apple cider vinegar and whey (left over from making cheese) with a couple drops of lavender oil as a conditioner. I like it so far, but I think I'm going to start adding a spoonful of honey to the mix as well.

LillyZ

I make my own beauty products. I take a little ginger and a lot of turmeric and mix it with yogurt to make my own face mask. The turmeric stains so be careful. Don't use much ginger as it has a burning sensation.

Lcd975

I love making this kind of stuff. I have had better results than when I was spending lots of money on products that did not give me nearly the results I get with homemade stuff. The fun part about it is that it does not take long to make and you can come up with all sorts of recipes.

misumaru15

I have recently started doing this. The kids seem to love my concoctions. They try them out and my son has eczema. I have to be careful about what I use or else his skin gets dry and itchy. Natural oils seem so much better.

Making your own beauty products will not only save you money, but it will give you healthier skin. I do not wear makeup and only use organic face scrub. I hate that they put sodium lauryl sulfate and propylene glycol in so many of our beauty products. If you find recipes for natural face washes, be sure to post the recipes!

hunysukle

Homemade beauty products are the best! You can decide what ingredients to add and control what goes on your skin. You can use practically fruit in your kitchen. I've used avocados, bananas, eye whites, strawberries and other foods. You can make practically any face cleanser, toner, scrub and lotion yourself.

misumaru15

For the banana hair mask, I think I can remember a recipe. You can use a ripe banana or some banana baby food. Baby food is good because it often has no sugar and preservatives. Add in some coconut milk and stir well. You can apply to your hair and put on a plastic cap. You can let it set for about 20 minutes to a half hour. The coconut milk is superb for hydrating hair. You can find it in the grocery store (and it comes without added sugar).

Carolynn

I have really been enjoying looking up new recipes for my own beauty products and trying them out. So far I haven't made anything that was a total dud!

Parker

This is a great thread as I never thought to make my own beauty products. When I was a young girl, my mom used to use mayonnaise as a hair moisturizer. It sounds really gross, but my hair was always so soft.

This is a great thread as I never thought to make my own beauty products. When I was a young girl, my mom used to use mayonnaise as a hair moisturizer. It sounds really gross, but my hair was always so soft.
Homemade beauty products tend to be better quality than store bought ones, because they're not loaded down with chemicals and preservatives, and you can control what goes into them.

I've heard about using mayonnaise as a hair moisturizer but I'm a little scared of it, haha!

Carolynn

I have heard about the mayonnaise moisturizer too. I have never tried it because mayonnaise is outrageously expensive now, and I wonder how well it washes out!

misumaru15

I've heard about coconut milk that it's a complete mess in the bathroom. Is that true?
I haven't found it to be. I measure mine in the kitchen. I cover it and put the remainder back in the frigde for use next time. I don't find you need to use the whole container at one time. Perhaps that was the person's problem or mess. Now, it does have a tendency to run a bit. But I add a bit of conditioner to thicken it up.

I haven't found it to be. I measure mine in the kitchen. I cover it and put the remainder back in the frigde for use next time. I don't find you need to use the whole container at one time. Perhaps that was the person's problem or mess. Now, it does have a tendency to run a bit. But I add a bit of conditioner to thicken it up.
That sounds like an awesome idea. I think I'll try it... apprehensively, haha!

Somniate

I found this recipe for conditioner on another site. It's supposed to help oily hair, and I figured I'd post it because it might help out?

Ingredients: one whole lemon; cider vinegar (1/4 cup)

Procedure: Slice the lemon and remove the seeds. Place slices in a blender and blend into a smooth pulp. Filter the pulp through muslin then mix with the cider vinegar. Shampoo hair, blot out excess water, and then apply conditioner. Leave on for five to ten minutes then rinse thoroughly with cool water. This is one of the best hair care home recipes.
I saw that and thought of this forum, so I hope that someone gets use out of it!

amy71219

I've made my own sugar scrub that makes my skin feel amazing! I still use regular shampoo but everything else is all natural and most of it is made from work at home moms.

misumaru15

Classicnyer you will like it. With the remainder you can always add it to chicken breasts and bake it in the oven. No it doesn't really taste like coconut. It does make them very tender. Ah sugar scrubs are so heavenly. I used to buy a yummy sugar scrub that smelled like chocolate or cocoa. I should try to make one on my own. I'm sure it's cheaper.