Lack of Sleep and Junk Food Cravings

ohiotom76

I'm kind of the other way around, I love to cook - moreso when I'm exhausted. Too lazy to leave the house and go through the drive through. I'll veg out on the couch and watch food network for a few hours then get *inspired* to go make something eventually.

shaunche

Sleep deprivation increases hunger. Studies found that a lack of sleep increase the release of ghrelin - the hunger hormone. Lack of sleep will also make you feel more lazy through the day, meaning you will burn less calories. Increased hunger + less activity = weight gain.

Sleep deprivation increases hunger. Studies found that a lack of sleep increase the release of ghrelin - the hunger hormone. Lack of sleep will also make you feel more lazy through the day, meaning you will burn less calories. Increased hunger + less activity = weight gain.
Unless, of course, you're like me, and increased hunger does not equal larger or more frequent meals. When I'm sleep deprived, I'll literally get to lethargic to eat, and I'll start losing weight. This is bad news as I'm already not very heavy.

shaunche

Unless, of course, you're like me, and increased hunger does not equal larger or more frequent meals. When I'm sleep deprived, I'll literally get to lethargic to eat, and I'll start losing weight. This is bad news as I'm already not very heavy.
Of course, there are always exceptions to the general trend. Do you not eat anything when you are deprived of sleep? You could try drinking protein shakes with calories added in the form of fruit and nuts to prevent too much weight loss. Drinking calories is easier.