Lack of Sleep and Junk Food Cravings

Hyacinth

Researchers from Columbia University found out that the reward and pleasure centers of the brain of the participants showed more activity in response to images of unhealthy foods such as burgers and donuts when the individuals were sleep-deprived compared to when they had a full-night's sleep. Experts are now looking further into the results as a way to establish the connection between lack of sleep and obesity.

I've heard something like this before. I remember watching a special on television about a scientific study that suggested the brain is less able to gauge fullness when a person isn't well-rested. They basically said extreme fatigue confuses the brain, causing it to send hunger signals when it otherwise wouldn't. All the more reason to get your 8 hours, right?!

SoftRain

That's very interesting! No wonder I've craved junk food more since having children. I thought it was just stress but I guess it's just been interrupted sleep for over 2 years. ;)

chabella

All Lady
My sleep schedule has been crazy since I was a child and there is no real answer as to why. I went through junk year stages too but now I tend to pay more attention to my "treats" rather than constant need of junk food, of course my sleep has not improved yet.

Luvkenny

I have heard this too. I don't know though - I crave junk food every night, even when I'm wide awake. I just make sure I don't give in to the cravings! I really don't notice a junk food craving more when I'm tired.

lettuce

I don't think you need to be sleep deprived to crave junk food. If you train yourself to eat mostly garbage, then it's only natural that your body will want it regardless of the circumstance.

shaunche

We all know sleep is very important for general health and they are studies which link a lack of sleep to obesity. I do believe you are more likely to be obese if you do not sleep well, but that doesn't mean a lack of sleep causes obesity.

dissn_it

I wouldn't think that lack of sleep leads to obesity so I am a bit surprised. To me, it just seems like just another excuse for not eating a better and healthier diet.

Esperahol

It isn't so much that sleep causes obesity (which is quickly becoming an over used word) as it is that lack of sleep means you have to get your energy from something else - sugar works for that. Therefore the sleepier you get then the more you look for a quick source of energy and the more likely you are to reach for the doughnut or cake slice.

Parker

Interesting study. I do find that lack of sleep does compromise my thinking process. I never make important decisions when I'm tired. I wonder what it is about unhealthy food that the brain likes.

chabella

All Lady
Well I had zero cravings last night other than a good nights sleep and I barely managed that.. I laid in bed for over two hours and then woke up five hours later. Maybe I am just excited about the 4th?

Jessi

I end up binging when I get too tired, and often times that's going to mean quick easy junk food because I'm too tired to cook. It makes complete sense to me.

Uhhh-ohhh I plead guilty. The nature of my work makes me end up with less sleeping hours, like 4-5 hours sleep in a 24 hour period. And really chips and fast food burgers and fries are always on my head. :( Unhealthy but true.

This is interesting and I know that I have seen a study like this before. However, I never really paid that much attention to the results because the speaker was in a monotone voice which bored me! So thank you for letting us know about this!

Esperahol

This is interesting and I know that I have seen a study like this before. However, I never really paid that much attention to the results because the speaker was in a monotone voice which bored me! So thank you for letting us know about this!
Its always the monotone isn't it? That might be why they're forcing public speaking on bio students at the local college now. There isn't much point in sharing knowledge if no one can stay awake long enough to hear it.

freshfoodie

I have heard this before and I know it is true from experience. I know I am less focused on what I am putting in my body when I am exhausted. I get serious carb cravings because I need that energy boost however temporary it is.

misumaru15

I think there is some truth in this. I also have read that lack of sleep can contribute to obesity. Yes these are reasons for getting enough sleep.

I've never heard anything like this, but I can verify it. The more tired I am, the less appetizing my own cooking becomes to me. I always assumed, though, that this was because I was too tired to physically cook, and so turned to fast food out of laziness.

Nina

Perhaps your body doesn't process foods as well when it hasn't had enough sleep. This sounds like me. I'm sluggish if I stay up way too late. If I get the proper amount of sleep, I'm bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Then again, if I get too much sleep, I'm lethargic.