Jamie Oliver's experiment

ssamcd

I seen another program showing how they made the McNuggets, a good few years ago. Children love McDonalds. McDonalds advertising have a subliminal message on the kids minds. When you drive down the busy street their is usually a golden arch to be seen. If McDonalds is a treat for kids once a week I think it is fine. I did it with my kids. It is what goes on the table at home that is important. :)

artistry

I have never seen Mr. Oliver, but it sounds as though he is trying to do a good thing for the kids. The poster who made the statement about getting through to the parents is correct. They make most of the decisions, and could help the children make better food choices. But other things take priority in a busy world.

shaunche

I've never before heard that eating this ...

... will reduce the incidence of polio - I wonder exactly what component is responsible for that action?

As for the playgrounds, I just think it odd that they feed colorful, tasty crap to children and then think that they're balancing out their sins by giving the kids a fiberglass tube to crawl through.

Yes, and when those programs are looted like the Great Brinks Robbery by your friendly neighborhood politicians you're stuck with paying the bills all over again.

But wait! That's not all! So many elderly people have to make the daily decision of food vs. health care - gee, what happened to this great system of ours? To put on top of all that, caring for someone with MY tax dollars that has purposely led a life of excess, of not caring about the quantity or quality of the food they've ingested, while I go to great lengths to eat healthy and take care of my body?

Hardly equitable.

Of course I've eaten them - I raised two boys. But I ate them sparingly, a nibble here or there to make the kids happy. I would never offer them as a dinner to anyone, yet I see that happening all the time. We severely limited how many times they could eat there and WHAT they could eat; as a result they are both in excellent shape. Not so the little lard-balls that eat there morning, noon and night because their parents (if there ARE two of them) are too busy slacking-off somewhere to cook a real meal for them.

You think the taxpayer's should support that kind of parenting?

And yes, the food at your typical McDonald's (I'm picking on them because they are the most known, but others are just as bad) is calorie-laden garbage with, for example, a Chicken McNugget having 56% corn or corn-derived product in it, along with butane (the stuff that goes in your lighter) as a preservative and more dyes and flavors than you could shake a chicken-leg at. That pink stuff coming out of the extruder above is your Chicken McNugget before it's colored, shaped and cooked.

Yummy!
She also believes drinking milk with sugar is good for you. She seems to believe anything the government endorses, if it's not endorsed by a .gov website it's not good for you.

The government are in the pockets of the food industry, the sugar industry has one of the biggest lobbies around. They have seemingly unlimited funds for conjuring up scientific research which legitimizes the crap they sell and funding is cut for any scientists who challenge their interests.

Esperahol

She also believes drinking milk with sugar is good for you. She seems to believe anything the government endorses, if it's not endorsed by a .gov website it's not good for you.

The government are in the pockets of the food industry, the sugar industry has one of the biggest lobbies around. They have seemingly unlimited funds for conjuring up scientific research which legitimizes the crap they sell and funding is cut for any scientists who challenge their interests.
You know it's not very nice to talk about someone behind their back and/or when they can't respond. As for what I think - you are frankly not psychic. I mean going by your logic it would be easy to say, " you sound like a conspiracy nut and you believe anything some healthnut site posts". Does that sound like you? Did you enjoy me saying something like that? Doubtful. I mean sugar is not going to kill you, if it was then it should have been doing so ages ago. However all the current issues with it have only come up very recently which any logical person would realize means that something else has to have occured recently. Of course, I guess logic mean brainwashing... Much better to blame BIG BUSINESS and the GOVERNMENT or I guess the ILLUMINATI or whatever. Also what is sugar to you? I ask because people are always shoving different things under the same title to save time and actual thinking. Also you really shouldn't take things out of context, but I guess I should expect that from someone who launches personal attacks on someone as a response to a totally different poster. Whatever.

shaunche

You know it's not very nice to talk about someone behind their back and/or when they can't respond. As for what I think - you are frankly not psychic. I mean going by your logic it would be easy to say, " you sound like a conspiracy nut and you believe anything some healthnut site posts". Does that sound like you? Did you enjoy me saying something like that? Doubtful. I mean sugar is not going to kill you, if it was then it should have been doing so ages ago. However all the current issues with it have only come up very recently which any logical person would realize means that something else has to have occured recently. Of course, I guess logic mean brainwashing... Much better to blame BIG BUSINESS and the GOVERNMENT or I guess the ILLUMINATI or whatever. Also what is sugar to you? I ask because people are always shoving different things under the same title to save time and actual thinking. Also you really shouldn't take things out of context, but I guess I should expect that from someone who launches personal attacks on someone as a response to a totally different poster. Whatever.
It wasn't meant as a personal attack, I was just highlighting your position. I didn't talk behind your back and you can respond, as you have. I'm far from a conspiracy nut, I'm generally averse to all conspiracy theories because I believe there are more rational explanations.

Sugar has killed many. John Yudkin's book title 'Pure, White and Deadly' is accurate.

Big business does have a vested interest in making us fat, that's not a conspiracy. The food they are selling us has had disastrous consequences for public health but it is extremely profitable. There's a direct conflict between the profit motive and public health.

Esperahol

It wasn't meant as a personal attack, I was just highlighting your position. I didn't talk behind your back and you can respond, as you have. I'm far from a conspiracy nut, I'm generally averse to all conspiracy theories because I believe there are more rational explanations.

Sugar has killed many. John Yudkin's book title 'Pure, White and Deadly' is accurate.

Big business does have a vested interest in making us fat, that's not a conspiracy. The food they are selling us has had disastrous consequences for public health but it is extremely profitable. There's a direct conflict between the profit motive and public health.
Hmm, it seemed like an attack since I believe everything the government tells me and I drink milk filled with sugar. I mean that says nothing about my position it just makes it seem like your discounting me, further why would I or anyone else need you to hightlight my position? If Phil wants to ask me or I want to clarify something, well you can certainly leave that to us - you aren't needed for that. You may not consider yourself a conspiracy nut, but if I decided to highlight your position you would certainly come across as one, especially since you would rather rest your position on dodgy websites and books while at the same time disputing the validity of anything associated with the government. As for sugar killing many I will paraphrase the NRA (who I'm not fond of) "Sugar doesn't kill people, people kill themselves". By the way how do you know Mr. Yudkin is accurate? As for big business having a vested interest in making folks fat that is a conspiracy, because they want consumers not corpses. Corpses do not buy products. Therefore if they are interested in profit, they cannot be interested in corpses. QED.

shaunche

But believing there is a conflict of interest between public health and the profit motive is not a conspiracy at all, is it? It's the reality, the food manufacturers make billions selling fake food.

Doddy websites? Dodgy because they are not endorsed by the government...

Is the New York Times a dodgy website? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opinion/sunday/what-really-makes-us-fat.html?_r=4

Or the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat?CMP=twt_gu and the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2164071/Everything-think-know-healthy-eating-wrong.html - both big national newspapers in England. Articles like that would not have been seen 10 years ago.

My view on health will become more mainstream when the evidence continues to piles up, that's what is happening. Also, when the healthcare cost outweighs the profits, the industry will be challenged.

Corporations are only concerned about profit, they know the food they sell is making us fat and sick, they don't care.