Jamie Oliver's experiment

aphil

I watch Jamie Oliver's food revolution whenever I can catch it on tv. I like the show and feel it is very revealing. I had never seen this one. It is so sad that the children didn't care about what they were eating. In most of his shows, he is able to reach the children and give them a higher consciousness and a desire to eat more healthy. Perhaps it was because of the age of these children. It's ver perplexing and sad.

Parker

Thanks for posting this video. I heard about it, but never saw it. Did the kids actually eat it? I wonder how many kids ate the nugget because it seemed like there was a little peer pressure going on. At least, that's what I choose to believe.

Sarah C.

I love Jamie Oliver and all the good things he does for children. He has really changed the diets of a lot of children and helped make major changes in many lunchrooms!

I did see this episode, and it was disheartening. I do think it is possible the children were responding to peer pressure. I still believe he got through to them in the end. They may not have reacted initially, but this lesson will stay with them.

amy71219

I saw that episode and could believe the kids ate it after seeing what it was made out of. I love that show and think he is doing such great things to help school lunches get healthies and help kids. I know with my son's school there have been some times where I couldn't believe what they were feeding the kids and what they considered fruits and vegetables. White cake with canned cherry pie filling is not a fruit!

freshfoodie

Here they have something they call a walking taco which consists of a bag of Fritos with greasy taco meat poured in it. Gross! I love Jamie Oliver and what he is trying to do. Sadly, some of the school districts are even fighting him on it.

Parker

Here they have something they call a walking taco which consists of a bag of Fritos with greasy taco meat poured in it. Gross! I love Jamie Oliver and what he is trying to do. Sadly, some of the school districts are even fighting him on it.
The school district in my area was fighting him. Since, I didn't watch the show, I didn't know the exact details. I knew it was about providing health food for school kids, so I consider it a good thing.

Recently, there's a lot of drama regarding sodas in the district here. A group was trying to remove soda machines and fast food kiosks in the high schools.

I watch Jamie Oliver. I am concerned about the food and drink sold to our children. I think he is doing a great job and he is not always appreciated by the very people/parents who need him the most.

I love what Jamie is trying to do, but sadly if families and society do not buy into it, it is going to be difficult to make a real change with our children's health. I am not perfect by any means in what my family eats, but we do try to eat as natural as possible. The difficult part is that when my kids are old enough to go to school and go over to other friends houses, it is going to be hard for me to completely monitor everything that goes into their mouths. Great video.

I have seen this also. It is amazing how our children here in the States don't have a clue about nutrition. I love Jamie, he is amazing, now if everyone would think like him, just think of all the children that would not have diabetes or have illnesses related to lack of nutrition in their diets! Let's all get on board with Jamie! Nutritional deficiency is the cause of so many unnecessary health issues her in America. Let's all start eating more fruits and vegetables and growing our own food. Having a garden is a great family project, and a healthy one to!!

Carolynn

I think that what he is doing is a good thing, but if you aren't reaching the parents you are wasting your time. We need to do more to teach parents and families about growing their own foods so that at a minimum you can reduce some of the processed junk you eat.

BonnyC

Hey now, greasy taco meat and fritos is an excellent combination in moderation! :D I make a taco soup sometimes and serve it over fritos. It's great comfort food. No, not terribly healthy, but we don't have it all the time.

As for the Jamie Oliver thing, I know that if my girls watched it they'd never eat it. They can get really turned off by food if it appears gross to them. Of course, if they saw a chicken slaughtered, they'd probably never eat that either.

dissn_it

I love Jamie Oliver and I think what he is trying to do is wonderful. I am really surprised schools are fighting him on healthy foods!:eek:
My daughter became a vegetarian in her teens and she always loved getting the Morning Star chicken nuggets. They are really good and taste so much better than any other nugget I've ever had.

shaunche

Jamie Oliver hasn't changed eating habits in England. His project has had minimal success, not the large-scale success his ego demanded. His mission is idealist and goes against the reality of the economic system we live in. To change eating habits we need to replace the profit motive with production for need. Health will always be second to profit under capitalism. Ironically, Jamie is a capitalist.

konstantina

Wow, I am so shocked. I think he puts it fairly descent though. We have brainwashed our kids. This is all true, we are all brainwashed about so many things. It's a good thing that sometimes some things wake us up. By the way, I m never even having this thing again

Esperahol

I'm proud of the kids for not being pressured into hating a food they like. What idiot tries those kinds of scare tactics on impressionable children? I know for a fact that after being made to watch a bunch of videos of animal processing (including a cow being skint while alive) by some vegetarians I went out and bought the biggest burger I could afford and enjoyed the devil out of it. Eat your nuggets kids! It's your choice, not some egotistical jerk with an agenda.

SifuPhil

I'm proud of the kids for not being pressured into hating a food they like.
I'm sure you'll be equally proud when you're visiting them in their iron lungs ...

What idiot tries those kinds of scare tactics on impressionable children?
Probably the opposite kind of idiot that uses toys, clowns and playgrounds to lure them in.

I know for a fact that after being made to watch a bunch of videos of animal processing (including a cow being skint while alive) by some vegetarians I went out and bought the biggest burger I could afford and enjoyed the devil out of it.
Isn't that because you're a contrarian? :p:D

Eat your nuggets kids! It's your choice, not some egotistical jerk with an agenda.
I agree - eat up, kids! I'll be dead by the time my tax-dollars have to support you!

Esperahol

I'm sure you'll be equally proud when you're visiting them in their iron lungs ...
Probably the opposite kind of idiot that uses toys, clowns and playgrounds to lure them in.
Isn't that because you're a contrarian? :p:D
I agree - eat up, kids! I'll be dead by the time my tax-dollars have to support you!
What iron lungs? Eating chicken nuggets doesn't mean you get polio Sifu. In fact some studies have found that nuggets will reduce the incident of developing polio. Of course that might be why people hate them since vaccines are of course evil just like chicken nuggets.At least a playground encourages exercise which is what children need. More then scaring them about thing, they should be taught to go outside and be active.

What? Me! Contray! Why I never. Seriously though, how do you think I feel when I think about all the old people I have to support because of all the mistakes they may or may not have made? Except wait I don't think that because I don't begrudge people knowing full well that as a nation we are all in this together. The programs and whatnot we have in place are there to catch ourselves and others in the event of misforture.

I'm really sorry that people have gotten to the point where they feel like those programs are worthless unless they are directly benefiting from them. I also think it strange that you would assume that chicken nuggets makes for a fat kid. What you never ate them? You were always the most health concious individual? I doubt it, but hey keep tossing out your homegrown propoganda.

Waynefire

I guess this goes to prove that you can lead a horse, in this case kids, to water, or nuggets, but you cannot make them drink, or hate to eat the food because of how nasty it is!

SifuPhil

What iron lungs? Eating chicken nuggets doesn't mean you get polio Sifu. In fact some studies have found that nuggets will reduce the incident of developing polio. Of course that might be why people hate them since vaccines are of course evil just like chicken nuggets.At least a playground encourages exercise which is what children need. More then scaring them about thing, they should be taught to go outside and be active.
I've never before heard that eating this ...

... will reduce the incidence of polio - I wonder exactly what component is responsible for that action?

As for the playgrounds, I just think it odd that they feed colorful, tasty crap to children and then think that they're balancing out their sins by giving the kids a fiberglass tube to crawl through.

What? Me! Contray! Why I never. Seriously though, how do you think I feel when I think about all the old people I have to support because of all the mistakes they may or may not have made? Except wait I don't think that because I don't begrudge people knowing full well that as a nation we are all in this together. The programs and whatnot we have in place are there to catch ourselves and others in the event of misforture.
Yes, and when those programs are looted like the Great Brinks Robbery by your friendly neighborhood politicians you're stuck with paying the bills all over again.

But wait! That's not all! So many elderly people have to make the daily decision of food vs. health care - gee, what happened to this great system of ours? To put on top of all that, caring for someone with MY tax dollars that has purposely led a life of excess, of not caring about the quantity or quality of the food they've ingested, while I go to great lengths to eat healthy and take care of my body?

Hardly equitable.

I'm really sorry that people have gotten to the point where they feel like those programs are worthless unless they are directly benefiting from them. I also think it strange that you would assume that chicken nuggets makes for a fat kid. What you never ate them? You were always the most health conscious individual? I doubt it, but hey keep tossing out your homegrown propaganda.
Of course I've eaten them - I raised two boys. But I ate them sparingly, a nibble here or there to make the kids happy. I would never offer them as a dinner to anyone, yet I see that happening all the time. We severely limited how many times they could eat there and WHAT they could eat; as a result they are both in excellent shape. Not so the little lard-balls that eat there morning, noon and night because their parents (if there ARE two of them) are too busy slacking-off somewhere to cook a real meal for them.

You think the taxpayer's should support that kind of parenting?

And yes, the food at your typical McDonald's (I'm picking on them because they are the most known, but others are just as bad) is calorie-laden garbage with, for example, a Chicken McNugget having 56% corn or corn-derived product in it, along with butane (the stuff that goes in your lighter) as a preservative and more dyes and flavors than you could shake a chicken-leg at. That pink stuff coming out of the extruder above is your Chicken McNugget before it's colored, shaped and cooked.

Yummy!