Drinking soda associated with high blood pressure

EarthGirl

New research just published in Hypertension: Journal of the American Heart Association concludes that soda and other drinks sweetened with sugar are associated with higher blood pressure. And the more sugar as well as sodium (also found in abundance in most sodas) people consumed, the higher blood pressure spiked upwards.

Learn more: Sugar-sweetened drinks cause higher blood pressure
This is very interesting. I am not a big soda drinker, so I had no idea that soda has sodium in it.

My grandmother has hypertension and she drinks a ton of soda. I will have to pass this news on to her.

Twinny

Very interesting!! I don't drink soda much either, but one of my doctors told me to cut back soda when my blood pressure was high at an appointment. My grandmother has high blood pressure and drinks a lot of soda.

blossom

Quite interesting, I had no idea. I drink more soda than one person should and I have great blood pressure. Perhaps it just hasn't caught up with me yet!

freshfoodie

I think studies are all a bunch of hype sometimes because I have extremely low blood pressure and I drink a ton of soda. My normal blood pressure reading is around 65/80.

SaltandPepper

I may be wrong but I also sort of remember an article talking about drinking sodas and the loss of phosphorus in bones. I can't remember where I heard it but I know I don't need anymore problems with my health. I stopped drinking sodas a long time ago. I only drink tea and coffee now and I moderate that use. I drink water most of the day.

EarthGirl

You are correct about soda leaching phosphorous from the bones. I want to say that it is only dark/cola sodas, but I may be misremembering.

I, too, am a water drinker. I drink soda on occasion, but really not that often. Honestly, I try to stay away from sugary drinks altogether. I really like water. I always think it is a little strange when people say that they don't like water at all.

Healthy4us

Thank you for all the info. Had not heard about the connection between soda and bone health. Makes sense for blood pressure. Guess it is a matter of cumulation and time, plus if you are prone to it. Alternatively, so many drinks have artificial sweetners. Would rather have sugar and modify intake rather than artificial.

LoveNature

This makes perfect sense to me. Most soda contains quite a bit of sodium. It's horrible for you in all sorts of ways, anyhow. I stick to water and tea, personally (and sometimes wine).

Andrea4

I don't doubt that soda can spike blood pressure, there is caffeine and sodium in it, but I also think that ones own personal make up also plays into it. I have high BP in my family, and so I tend to run high. But like a previous poster said, she drinks tons of soda and has low BP. Depends on the person how much they are effected, in my opinion.

Garrett Erb

As if I needed another reason not to drink it! I have almost completely cut it out of my life, and don't regret it one bit. Although I will be honest, nothing is more refreshing than Mountain Dew from the can on a scorching hot day :p ! Moderation is key, as it is in everything.

Parker

I just to drink a lot of soda (I suppose that's relative) and never had a problem with high blood pressure. Then again, my diet is very low in sodium. I don't like to put salt on my food and I stay away from frozen and prepackaged meals.

Esperahol

It should be remembered that soda is associated with high blood pressure,not that it causes high blood pressure. So it's more the straw breaking the camel's back rather than the entire load the poor beast is carrying. I would thing that a large part of this association is that many of the people drinking the most soda are also the people getting the least exercise and/or under the most stress. So you know corporate drones and the like.

SoftRain

It doesn't surprise me that soda is associated with high blood pressure, although I don't see it in myself, as I drink quite a bit of soda and have low blood pressure. Of course, what I drink is diet and caffeine-free so that may have something to do with it.

dissn_it

Another reason to avoid drinking too much soda. I am glad I do not drink it very much at all anymore. I am just hoping that all the pop that I drank when I was younger doesn't cause me problems later on.

Lyra

It should be remembered that soda is associated with high blood pressure,not that it causes high blood pressure. So it's more the straw breaking the camel's back rather than the entire load the poor beast is carrying. I would thing that a large part of this association is that many of the people drinking the most soda are also the people getting the least exercise and/or under the most stress. So you know corporate drones and the like.
That's a good distinction to make and we often forget to think of it that way when we hear two things are associated.

I would think that it tends to be seen in older people, too, since they are more likely to be susceptible to bouts of higher blood pressure, too.

There are all kinds of evil things in soda. Sodium, caffeine, way too much sugar... it's a little disgusting to me that this is still on the market.

Laurasav

I'm like a couple of you here that are big water drinkers. I stopped drinking soda many, many years ago and only drink water now, with the exceptional (unsweetened) iced tea in the summertime. However, last week I went into a new shop in a small town nearby. The owner twisted my arm into buying some sodas he's now carrying. I've been giving him a running commentary (on Facebook) on what I think of each one. I bought seven bottles of different kinds/flavors. My husband and I have split each one, and only one per evening, so we're not drinking much of it. I doubt I'd buy any of the soda again. We really like water. And water is much, much healthier!

Thank goodness I am cutting back on how much I drink. This would explain why when I do drink more then one a day I get light headed and dizzy though. Hopefully I am able to use this to get my husband to cut back as well.

beckyv1265

It will spike your pressure if you are salt sensative. Anyone who has blood pressure issues needs to be aware of sodium content of anything they eat and drink. That should be a given.