Beets

Sugarhill

I made a beet smoothie with almond milk, spinach and apple. I also threw in a packet of powdered wheat grass. It was delicious. I also like the purplish color of the smoothie. Purple is my favorite color. ;)

My sister tried it made it with kale instead of spinach. She added spirulina instead of wheat grass. It's her new favorite smoothie.
Oh, great! It was good, eh? Hmm. I may have to break out the blender and try that one myself. I don't know about the wheat grass, but I probably won't taste it anyway. I'm glad that you can stop hating on the poor, little beet. If y'all would eat over the table, you won't have to worry about it being on your clothes! :D

What were the amounts of what you threw in? How many ounces did it come out to? How hard was it to get your sister to try it with you? I wouldn't mind looking at how many nutrients you drank and how much health you had in a glass. I'm sure it was a great drink nutrients wise with just the beets and spinach.

Parker

Oh, great! It was good, eh? Hmm. I may have to break out the blender and try that one myself. I don't know about the wheat grass, but I probably won't taste it anyway. I'm glad that you can stop hating on the poor, little beet. If y'all would eat over the table, you won't have to worry about it being on your clothes! :D

What were the amounts of what you threw in? How many ounces did it come out to? How hard was it to get your sister to try it with you? I wouldn't mind looking at how many nutrients you drank and how much health you had in a glass. I'm sure it was a great drink nutrients wise with just the beets and spinach.
I didn't taste the wheat grass, but I drink wheat grass in my iced tea. I maybe used to it. I didn't measure what I used. I just went by sight. I cook the same way. It drives my family and friends crazy because I can't give them a real recipe. I don't know how much almond milk I used. I will measure it next time! I used half a beet and half apple. I also didn't track how much spinach I used either. I also added a pinch of cinnamon for no other reason that I'm on a cinnamon kick right now.

This sister is vegan. It was no problem for her to try it. She's like that. She eats a lot of food that I would never eat. She really into the raw food thing too. She trying to go 90% raw.

Sugarhill

Well, your family isn't the only one disappointed by the lack of a real recipe. :mad: I guess I'm good with the half a beet and apple and it probably was no more than a handful or two of spinach, so that is somewhere between a cup and a cup and a half. I am guessing somewhere between 4-8 ounces of almond milk.

Cinnamon is healthy for you and it helps regulate I think your insulin and assists in something with your weight. I'll have to go back through some notes for an official list, but the cinnamon kick is good. I may add graham crackers instead. I always add graham crackers when I break out the smoothie ingredients list.

I am just going to ignore the whole wheat grass in iced tea part and go make me another glass of iced tea in a few minutes. :D

xenon

I love beets and we grow them as one of our usual vegetables. I did hear a science report on the radio yesterday that they contain dietary nitrate which is converted by bacteria in the mouth to nitric oxide. It all comes into play when you are exercising. So for those who compete in sports it's a natural way of improving your exercise tolerance. It was suggested that 1 pint of the juice needed to be drunk at a time. :eek:
Could this be now the next supplement to be tested for in sports?

Sugarhill

Well, I would like to see the group of people that are willing to drink multiple pints of beet juice to test it out. I think the best way would be to have a pint of beet juice mixed with something else, but that may take away it's effectiveness. I'm up for many experiments, but I don't know about that one. I'll have to see what think of the juice when I get some beets. Even if it is tolerable, I doubt if a pint of it would work for me.