Beets

Hyacinth

I am not really a fan of beets, but I found myself eating some when I and some friends had a cook out. For some reason, I looked into the health benefits of beets and I hope that what I found out will sort of push me to have beets more often.

Beets are rich in beta-carotene, phytonutrients that can help ward off diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Beets also contain significant amounts of iron and fiber. The pigments found in beets can aid in detoxification.

Parker

Beets are very healthy, but I'm not really a big fan of them either. The fact that they can stain your clothes doesn't help. I do like sliced chilled beets in a salad though. That's the only way I can eat them.b

Sugarhill

Well, you can find all of those things in other foods, so if you still don't want to eat beets, don't. However, if you do decide to make that part of your diet, just look up the many ways that you can prepare them and try them out. If all else fails, put them in the blender with some other fruit and vegetable and make it a smoothie.

SoftRain

I love beets. I particularly like them diced, for some reason, but I can only find them in slices anymore. No one else in my family likes beets though so I rarely eat them.

dissn_it

Not a big fan of beets here either. I think having them diced up and mixed with other veggies does help. I'll have to try the smoothie idea sometime. We usually get a bunch of "fresh from the garden" beets given to us every year in the fall. It seems like I never know what to do with all those beets!

Parker

Well, you can find all of those things in other foods, so if you still don't want to eat beets, don't. However, if you do decide to make that part of your diet, just look up the many ways that you can prepare them and try them out. If all else fails, put them in the blender with some other fruit and vegetable and make it a smoothie.
I hadn't thought about adding them to a smoothie. A good way to get the benefits of beets. I'm off to find out which fruits and veges go with beets.

Sugarhill

If you do it correctly, you won't even have to worry about pairing them up because the base of your drink should overpower the taste, if not the color. A lot of people throw in baby spinach, but never really taste it. If you have enough almond milk or even regular milk with the protein powder that you might throw in there, it should all work. It may take a little experimentation on the ratios.

Esperahol

So are beets gross because that is there natural taste or is the result of processing? I don't know although I really haven't liked them since I was a child in daycare.

shaunche

Beets are delicious when roasted. I roast the beets in foil and finish with a nice dollop of butter, delicious. The pickle beets sold in jars are soaked in a sugar solution, soaking a vegetable is sugar is a good way to make it unhealthy.

Luvkenny

I don't like beets either but with all of those health benefits I might give them another try. I think roasted beets sounds interesting. How would I do this? Is this the best way to cook them to keep the nutrients in?

freshfoodie

I love beets either plain or pickled. They taste delicious on a salad. They are so healthy too. I should eat them way more often than I do.

hunysukle

I wish I could like beets. However, something about them is gross to me. Plus, they can really stain an outfit. Thanks for reminding us of all their health benefits.

shaunche

I love beets either plain or pickled. They taste delicious on a salad. They are so healthy too. I should eat them way more often than I do.
The problem with pickled beetroot is that is usually contains added sugar and the vinegar used is cheap industrial vinegar. The sugar and vinegar is higher acidic, the pickling renders an alkaline vegetable into an acidic food - not healthy.

Sugarhill

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at all the people listing stained clothing as a reason to cross beets off their list. :D I guess that would play a part into how much you eat them. What if you limit them to only being consumed at home when you have some house or play clothes on, would that help?

Go with the smoothie route or some other way to hid the taste. Try cheese. Seriously. Cheese makes many things taste better.

Esperahol

I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at all the people listing stained clothing as a reason to cross beets off their list. :D I guess that would play a part into how much you eat them. What if you limit them to only being consumed at home when you have some house or play clothes on, would that help?

Go with the smoothie route or some other way to hid the taste. Try cheese. Seriously. Cheese makes many things taste better.
I don't care about possible stains, but I don't know about the taste. I am even less sure about adding cheese to them. It just doesn't sound like it would taste good.

AnonaMoss

I've never had fresh beets, but I purchased them from a can at an organic food store. I have to say I found them to be very tasty. I went into the deal thinking that they would be nasty, but I really enjoyed them. I ate the beets as a side dish to fish and as an addition to salads.

alid1

Beets are great in juice. You can juice a half a beet with carrots, and you can't even taste the beets. Be careful, too many beets can act as a laxative. Also, you will have reddish pee and poo. So do not become alarmed, if you see this.

Esperahol

Beets are great in juice. You can juice a half a beet with carrots, and you can't even taste the beets. Be careful, too many beets can act as a laxative. Also, you will have reddish pee and poo. So do not become alarmed, if you see this.
Oh, well none of that for me then. I'd forget and start spazzing because I'm a bit of a hypochrondiac.

Parker

If you do it correctly, you won't even have to worry about pairing them up because the base of your drink should overpower the taste, if not the color. A lot of people throw in baby spinach, but never really taste it. If you have enough almond milk or even regular milk with the protein powder that you might throw in there, it should all work. It may take a little experimentation on the ratios.
I made a beet smoothie with almond milk, spinach and apple. I also threw in a packet of powdered wheat grass. It was delicious. I also like the purplish color of the smoothie. Purple is my favorite color. ;)

My sister tried it made it with kale instead of spinach. She added spirulina instead of wheat grass. It's her new favorite smoothie.

beckyv1265

Beets were originaly cultivated for their nutricious leaves.which can still be eaten much the same way we eat spinach. Beets also come in white and gold varieties so you don't have to eat the purple ones. Although the purple-red ones do have the most nutrients. Betaine,which gives them their deep color is more potent an anti-oxident than polyphenols in its effect of lowering blood pressure. The high nitrates in beet juice work like aspirin to prevent blood clots and help protect the lining of the blood vessels. Red beet is also high in anthocyanins that help prevent colon and other cancers. Beets don't have any real flavor of their own. Its very mild and slightly sweet. I love them with a simple olive oil dressing with orange juice, fennel and salt and pepper. I also love them in a salad with a vinigrete. Soaking in white vinegar and baking soda removes the stains. lol