Back Pain

GreenBeany

I get back pain when I sleep and I rarely get a good nights sleep anymore. On work days it's ok, because I go to bed really late and don't have long to sleep, but sleeping in on the weekends just kills my back. Is there anything I can take to help strenghen my back muscles?

Asturian

Is the mattress you use to sleep on too soft? It is recommended to sleep on a hard surface to relieve back pain. Sleeping on your side instead of your back may also help a bit.

Georgina

I feel your pain. I have back pain every day and there's nothing I can do about it. One thing that kind of relieves pain is a warmer/massager that I wear when I'm just sitting.

jason

Have a great day
I used to get really bad back pain on my old mattress. It was old and when I bought a new one I bought one of those foam mattresses. It has helped with back pain from that.

But all the yard/house work getting this place in shape has my back in pain most days.

Iben

Yeah, I worry it is the mattress you use to sleep on. Anyway, I think simple back stretching like forward and backward bending will help tone and strengthen your back muscles.

GreenBeany

It could be the mattress. It is a few years old, but I spent a lot on it so I was hoping not to get ride of it. I use to always sleep on my stomach actually, but I can't anymore. The pain only comes after sleeping a while. I don't have back pain at any other time, and it goes away quickly when I get out of bed and walk around. I suppose I'll have to buy a new mattress.

petunia

It sounds like you might not have enough support in your mattress. If you can't afford a new mattress you can always try putting a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring. I would also suggest that if the pain continues you might see a Doctor. You could have a herniation or some other spinal injury.

SoftRain

Yes, get a new mattress. My husband is very prone to back issues and even though we had recently bought a pillowtop, we bit the bullet and got a Tempur-pedic. It has helped him immensely.

jason

Have a great day
What about a topper for the mattress? I know they sell foam toppers you can buy. Not sure how expensive they are though.

MountainGirl

I am not recommending to you that you try this but it's just something a friend did. He had frequent back pains so he started sleeping on the floor. I think the hard floor helped him. Maybe a less extreme version of this solution is for you - just try to find a mattress that is a bit harder or a pad to put on the mattress.

mslianne

Ever since I had the opportunity to become a registered nurse, my friends and relatives often come to me for advice. One particular advice that I always give is in case of lower back pains, never use pain relievers as your first solution. You should always keep in mind that non-pharmaceutical methods should be used first. If ever you feel that your back is aching, stop working and take a rest first.
You can also ask someone to massage it for you. However, the most effective solution that I have found is using a lower back pad.

shaunche

You can't 'take' anything to strengthen your back muscles. You need to strengthen your back muscles using exercises. If the supporting muscles are weak, you are more susceptible to low back pain.

Mrs. Rogers

A backache is just absolutely miserable. I hope that you're able to figure out what the culprit is. Until then, maybe some back support in the form of a support belt?

misumaru15

Backaches are such a pain. They interrupt you life. They can often be a symptom of other things. Sometimes you can be overweight and it places stress on your back. It's a good idea when you can to strengthen you ab muscles and your back muscles through exercise. I hope you find relief soon.

chabella

All Lady
I will have back pain until the day I die unfortunately, but I have noticed that I can lessen the pain both by exercising daily and also from not over sleeping. The biggest issue I face is over sleeping on the weekends, everyone thinks its cute to finally let me get a full night's sleep but then I wake up the next day hobbling around.

shaunche

I will have back pain until the day I die unfortunately, but I have noticed that I can lessen the pain both by exercising daily and also from not over sleeping. The biggest issue I face is over sleeping on the weekends, everyone thinks its cute to finally let me get a full night's sleep but then I wake up the next day hobbling around.
Sleep can cause backache if you are sleeping on a dilapidated bed. I would recommend investing in a orthopaedic mattress if you have problems with back pain.

Somniate

Everyone's said what I was going to say about your bed...

On another train of thought, what about your shoes? It's possible that if you're wearing shoes that aren't fitting properly or aren't well made you could be causing yourself back pain. Maybe you could try different shoes? I know that my mother wears Z-Coil shoes, and that they've helped her back and knees a lot.

The only downside to them is that they're expensive and that you might have trouble finding them. We had to travel about an hour to get to the store that sold them. They've lasted quite a while, though, so you won't have to go back and buy another pair after six months or so.

Randomhero

I get back pain when I sleep and I rarely get a good nights sleep anymore. On work days it's ok, because I go to bed really late and don't have long to sleep, but sleeping in on the weekends just kills my back. Is there anything I can take to help strenghen my back muscles?
I get this issue when I try to sleep on my futon. Very uncomfortable but its either than or the floor. Also when I tweak my back from working out by doing squats. I think we need to change our mattress honestly :)

shaunche

Everyone's said what I was going to say about your bed...

On another train of thought, what about your shoes? It's possible that if you're wearing shoes that aren't fitting properly or aren't well made you could be causing yourself back pain. Maybe you could try different shoes? I know that my mother wears Z-Coil shoes, and that they've helped her back and knees a lot.

The only downside to them is that they're expensive and that you might have trouble finding them. We had to travel about an hour to get to the store that sold them. They've lasted quite a while, though, so you won't have to go back and buy another pair after six months or so.

The best way to walk and run is barefoot, our feet are designed for movement. Shoes and trainers can actually cause more harm than good.