Women get informed!

Isn't forcing you to give birth to an unwanted pregnancy a form of rape? When you impose your will on others its always a form of rape. Woman generally think long and hard before they choose to have an abortion. Its usually a momentous decision. I don't see how anyone has the right to dictate or decide what is best for us. I usually support many of the Republican views but I am afraid that as long as its run by a religious reich I will vote for the another party.
Hell yes it is! I couldn't agree more. I choose to have an abortion once, many years ago. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one, for many reasons which I will not go into here. I can't even imagine what would have happened had I not been allowed to make that choice. Many people would have suffered, including the child, who would have likely been born with severe health problems.

jovan107

Hell yes it is! I couldn't agree more. I choose to have an abortion once, many years ago. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one, for many reasons which I will not go into here. I can't even imagine what would have happened had I not been allowed to make that choice. Many people would have suffered, including the child, who would have likely been born with severe health problems.
I have never gotten pregnant because I'm not ready to become a mom, but my sister has had an abortion and its one of the most difficult decisions she had to make. Luckily, she became a mom a few years later. She has three amazing sons now. I have been a long supporter of the Republican party and I am very disturbed by the decisions they want to make in regards to what a woman can do with her body and how much she can earn for equal work.

jovan107

Isn't forcing you to give birth to an unwanted pregnancy a form of rape? When you impose your will on others its always a form of rape. Woman generally think long and hard before they choose to have an abortion. Its usually a momentous decision. I don't see how anyone has the right to dictate or decide what is best for us. I usually support many of the Republican views but I am afraid that as long as its run by a religious reich I will vote for the another party.
I agree with you, my sister had an abortion and it was one of the most difficult decisions she had to make. I have been a life long supporter of the Republican party and I have voted for Democrats before. The thing that puzzles me the most is what does the Republican party have against women.

jovan107

It seems that no matter which party gains office, women, minorities, poor, very young and the very old will be the ones to suffer.

While I never was under the delusion that our congressmen and women weren't exactly deep thinkers, once in a while I can be astounded by just how stupid some of them are. Akins will probably be best remember for his explanation of legitimate rape.
Excellent point, I do not know what Akins was thinking and there is no excuse for rape. Rape is rape there is nothing legitimate about it. However, he still could possibly be elected in Missouri.

The most disturbing part about it is that these creeps are still going to get votes, and some of them will be women. I read in a comment on an article about Ann Romney's speech at the rnc, something like "Romney and Ryan are really pro women and they have some very good policies, but the Democrats keep spreading misinformation" etc. Of course, there was no example or link to any example of any pro women policies or ideas. I wanted to be like, do you know anything about their voting records when it comes to womens issues, or did you just get all weepy because Ann Romney said "I love women"?

SweetPea

Im just saddedned by the whole situation. There are NO good candidates this time. Is Ron Paul running? At this point Id vote for him or someone from the Green party.

shaunche

One of the Republicans has basically condoned rape. The Republicans are a nasty party for all workers, especially women. Their aim is to divide and conquer, they want men against women, immigrant against native, unionised against non-unionised.

beckyv1265

I agree with you, my sister had an abortion and it was one of the most difficult decisions she had to make. I have been a life long supporter of the Republican party and I have voted for Democrats before. The thing that puzzles me the most is what does the Republican party have against women.
Its not the party itself but the control of the religious extreamist that have tainted it for me. When the "Tea party" fudamentalist decided to unite with their antiquated views of womans roles that I started to object.

beckyv1265

I also had to have several abortions in my life. I do have 8 natural children and 2 adopted children. My abortions were very necesary for me at the time. I still stand by those very tough decisions that I had to make and I don't feel that anyone but me has the right to decide what I do.

One of the Republicans has basically condoned rape. The Republicans are a nasty party for all workers, especially women. Their aim is to divide and conquer, they want men against women, immigrant against native, unionised against non-unionised.
And black against white. And heterosexual against LGBT. And religious against secular.

chabella

All Lady
I have always been registered as an Independent while my husband is listed as Republican, this is slowly changing his mind here. I will never pick a side, too many crazies are out there and sadly they are the ones that want all of our votes.

shaunche

And black against white. And heterosexual against LGBT. And religious against secular.
Indeed. The Republicans are the political representatives of the ruling class and the ruling class are a tiny minority exploiting and living off the labour of the majority. An exploiting minority obviously needs to divide the exploited majority to maintain class rule.

freshfoodie

I have always been registered as an Independent while my husband is listed as Republican, this is slowly changing his mind here. I will never pick a side, too many crazies are out there and sadly they are the ones that want all of our votes.
Chabella, that is me. I will never choose one side. I listen to both sides and do my own due diligence to vote based on the facts.

Whether or not Republicans can actually overturn Roe v. Wade is not the issue though because they can pass a law that makes abortion illegal without actually overturning it. Someone would have to disagree with it and get the Supreme Court to hear it but, that could take years.

It does sicken me that they will actually get women's votes. My SO keeps coming back with all these sound bites he hears on TV like Paul Ryan says he is for abortion in the case of rape or incest. I responded yes if you can prove the rape or incest was "legitimate". That these issues are even being discussed in the 21st century is ridiculous. I think Susan B. Anthony and other suffragists would be rolling in their graves.

Chabella, that is me. I will never choose one side. I listen to both sides and do my own due diligence to vote based on the facts.

Whether or not Republicans can actually overturn Roe v. Wade is not the issue though because they can pass a law that makes abortion illegal without actually overturning it. Someone would have to disagree with it and get the Supreme Court to hear it but, that could take years.

It does sicken me that they will actually get women's votes. My SO keeps coming back with all these sound bites he hears on TV like Paul Ryan says he is for abortion in the case of rape or incest. I responded yes if you can prove the rape or incest was "legitimate". That these issues are even being discussed in the 21st century is ridiculous. I think Susan B. Anthony and other suffragists would be rolling in their graves.
You're absolutely right. The republican ticket this election is nothing but backward motion, as if they're trying to undo all the work that the suffragists and the feminists have done.

Carolynn

Im just saddedned by the whole situation. There are NO good candidates this time. Is Ron Paul running? At this point Id vote for him or someone from the Green party.

I absolutely agree with you about that Sweetpea! I will probably still vote, but in my mind neither candidate is suitable for the job that needs to be done.

Jatelo2

I've voted in every election since I was 18 and for the first time every this year I'm seriously contemplating not even going to the polls. I'm just downright disgusted and saddened by the state of things and what the candidates choose to support. smh
Voter apathy wouldn't solve the problems. On the other hand, choosing the right people to correct the situation might just prove very rewarding. Whatever has motivated you to vote all these years shouldn't be let to die. It is called HOPE my dear!

Jatelo2

Make no mistake about it, the Republicans are gunning for us. They would take away affordable access to birth control, mammograms, and cervical exams. They would reverse the decision that makes coverage of female reproductive services mandatory by insurance companies. And most dangerous of all they would redefine what it means to be raped to make sure that federal money isn't being used for abortions, something which has been protected against since the mid-1970's by the way. So no matter who you plan on voting for in this years election, make sure you know what you are voting for. All of these statements can be proven by checking Ryan's voting record and reading HR-3.
Wonderfully put political sentiments. I hope this falls under women's social health or something close to that. Even though I feel that this thread isn't related to women's health, I'll still go ahead to say that it was very informative to the voters. Thanks for this!

Sage

If I could have a do-over I would have voted for Hillary. I don't think the country would be in half the mess it is in and then there wouldn't be an issue as to who to vote for. I can't stand her, but I think she would have been better than what we've got.

Greenwoman

I was planning on voting for Obama, and I WILL vote for him. I miss having respectable officials representing me, and I miss at least being able to compare and contrast the visions of the democratic candidate with the republican candidate. Now things have truly gotten well beyond out of control.