Where do you find glycerin?

Carolynn

I have a couple of homemade soap recipes I want to try, particularly for hand soap. The recipe said you could find glycerin on any bandage aisle at the pharmacy, but I cannot find it any where!

naturelady

I have found it at Walmart before. It was hard to find, though. Be sure to ask if you don't see it. I think you can sometimes find it at a craft store, too.

Brea

I have bought glycerin, for soap making, at Hobby Lobby. They also sell the beeswax stuff. I am sure any craft store will sell glycerin. Sometimes you just have to ask someone who works at a store, to help you locate it.

freshfoodie

Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn's all carry glycerin for soap making. I have never looked for it at the grocery store but I would think you might be able to find it in the organic department if they did have it.

I have only ever seen it in the craft stores. I don't recall ever seeing it in the grocery store but then again I never looked there either.

Carolynn

Thanks for all the great responses! I had never thought about looking for it at the craft store. I am making a trip to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, and I will look for it there.

misumaru15

I totally forgot about the craft store. That would be the perfect place. Plus I could also find molds to use. My kids have been begging to try making soap.

Carolynn

Do you know I have still not found it?!? I am just going to order some online and be done with it. I either forget to look or I can't find it everytime I head out to a store.

We buy glycerin oil from a Chinese pharmacy/herbal shop. Try looking for it at herbal stores. :) We apply glycerin oil directly into our skin, let it stand there for about 30 minutes before taking a bath and rinsing it off. I love how my dead skin cells are easily scrubbed, and my skin is very soft after bathing.

konstantina

Many bio stores sell it, but if you have an old green soap you can use this as well as the core. Just like making bread

webworkinggirl

It's strange because they sell glycerin in a lot of places but the first few times I went looking I had a hard time too! It's out there though, so just keep your eyes peeled and try looking in different sections.

It should be easy to find at a drugstore/pharmacy like Walgreens or RiteAid, look around for a small dark brown plastic bottle usually around the area where other first aid supplies are at. The bottles can be inconspicuous and easy to miss.

You can also try looking at the health food stores, Vitamin Cottages, Whole Foods, places like that. Of course there are plenty of places you can order it online too, but there are absolutely local places out there that have it so keep looking and good luck!

huullk

have found it at Walmart before. It was hard to find, though. Be sure to ask if you don't see it. I think you can sometimes find it at a craft store, too.

Ownageprankers

Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn's all carry glycerin for soap making. I have never looked for it at the grocery store but I would think you might be able to find it in the organic department if they did have it. I ususally can't find glycerin at the pharmacy. But I also find it usually at the fruit stand, or in a health food store.

misumaru15

Have you tried Whole Foods or an organic market? I would think you would want the vegetable glycerine. You should be able to find it if you ask around.

shaunche

Glycerin is widely available in health shops and there are lots of stores online where you can buy bottles of glycerin. It is quite cheap, you can buy a 200ml bottle for a few dollars.

It's amazing how widely available and yet difficult to find it is, isn't it, haha! With the exception of the health food store, where it was sitting on a shelf, everywhere else I've ever found it I had to go on a hunt, and then ask somebody for help.

Hickorycottage

I found glycerin at my favorite health food store. Just do a Yellow Pages search for the health food stores in your area. Call and ask. They probably will have websites also.

magickat

I have seen it in the baking aisle of the supermarket, I assume this can be used for other purposes than cookery.