What Happened To The Art Of Medicine?

jason

Have a great day
At times I feel like I'm practicing medicine in a tunnel, one where the only way out is to prescribe pharmaceuticals that have gone through double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. Modern medicine has brought us many wonderful advances -- and, believe me, I understand that controlled trials are important -- but what about the art of medicine?
Have we forgotten about the many modes of healing at our fingertips? And what about the individuality of each patient? The reality is that what happens in a laboratory or in a clinical trial is not always what we see in practice every day. Besides, the data we read in scientific journals may not even be reported accurately. I recently read Sherri Tenpenny, M.D.'s blog on fraudulent medical research, where she discusses researchers making up results and publishing them in prestigious medical journals. Yet we base so much medical advice on what this research reports.
I'm charging all of us to demand more from our health care providers. And for those of us working in the health care industry, step back for a moment and take an inventory of all that you know, inside and outside medical research. What have your patients taught you? What have you learned in your life? What studies have you read and put into practice that have made a difference? There is wisdom here that we've overlooked, and I think it's about time we come back to our black bags, our medicine chests and apothecaries, and take an inventory of all the tools we've been collecting.

more Marcelle Pick, OB-GYN N.P.: What Happened To The Art Of Medicine?

enthusiast

Bravo for you, Jason! I wish more people in the medical field could see beyond prescription drugs and look to the art of medicine that seeks to heal. Medicine today has become "Prescribe a pharmaceutical that treats symptoms" that never gets to the cause of the problem.

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
if your in the medical field why not open a herbal pharma store or company, it takes time just like everything else in the world. have to take a chance or it will fail before you put your mind and time to it.

StingingNettle

I applaud your commitment to HEALING, rather then to practicing medicine. You know, I don't care if my doctors don't agree with me, but the thing that really makes me mad is when they have no respect for what I know about my body and what works for my body. There is nothing worse at a doctor's appointment then to have a doctor dismiss what you know works, simply because he or she knows nothing about it.

I recently had a dental procedure done. I mentioned that I would take some arnica when I got home. My periodontist told me, "Oh, no! Do not take any herbals! They will make you bleed more!" Where to begin with this kind of unexamined ignorance?

chabella

All Lady
I am amazed at those who jump to the chance to grab some Rx med off a shelf to ingest it. All of those studies come with those lovely things we call warning labels too. The art was lost long ago and sadly those who still practice it are outnumbered by those who think we are all crazy bats.

jason

Have a great day
if your in the medical field why not open a herbal pharma store or company, it takes time just like everything else in the world. have to take a chance or it will fail before you put your mind and time to it.
That's not me, just an article I found. We do have a few herbal stores if you do not mind a drive.

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
!yea !

I am amazed at those who jump to the chance to grab some Rx med off a shelf to ingest it. All of those studies come with those lovely things we call warning labels too. The art was lost long ago and sadly those who still practice it are outnumbered by those who think we are all crazy bats.
yea doesn't it make you sick, it's like someone arguing to you that trees grow in the clouds, and your all "your a ****** stupid doctor..."

herbals are just amazing, one day the government will put something in the drugs to control us, so thats why i am sticking with herbals. also the whole zombie virus thing kinda has me iffy about drugs from the shelf lol

enthusiast

I'm the only one in my family that believes in herbal healing. It amazes me what others believe just because a doctor says it. One is on methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis. The doc told her that the reason she takes the methotrexate once a week and the Folic Acid is so the Folic Acid can flush the metho out of her system between the times she takes it, or something to that effect.

one day the government will put something in the drugs to control us
I think they might already be doing that in the water.