What are Skin Tags?

Lena51

I have skin tags and would very much like to get rid of them. Do anyone know how you get them and how to naturally get them to go away?

chabella

All Lady
Would insurance cover something like that or would that be considered more of a cosmetic removal? I know someone that has two and needs to look into it.

sandooch

I've used the Compound-W Freeze Off to take mine off. I works, but a cheaper and less painful way is to just quickly cut them off with a very sharp, sterlized nail clipper. I've only had small skin tags and would not recommend this on large ones. But it really does only pinch for a second, unlike the pain you will feel with some of those other methods mentioned. Then I clean it with some rubbing alcohol and I'm done. No waiting until it turns black and falls off like when you tie a string to it, no freezing it with the wart remover and waiting until it turns black and falls off. This way is fast and free. I cut off about 20 that I had.

Jessi

Would insurance cover something like that or would that be considered more of a cosmetic removal? I know someone that has two and needs to look into it.
It depends. If they give the person any issues (like being in a place where one rubs and causes physical discomfort), it's more likely to be covered by insurance. In general, I think it's considered more of a cosmetic treatment, though.

Lena51

I will try the Compound -W to freeze them bad boys off and hope they never come back. I don't dare cut them myself, I am to afraid to do that. I have so many that has come on me since I am up in age now and they say that's a show of old age, but I don't want that unwanted skin on me. Thanks Sandooch, and I will let you know how I am coming along so I have to go to the drug store to pick some up. I don't have insurance so I have to do this on my own.

I have had skin tags all of my life. They are super annoying. I have gotten a few frozen off by the doctor when I had insurance. Now that I do not have insurance I haven't been in to take care of them. I have tried the natural methods and they have not worked for me. I think maybe they are too big to get rid of naturally.

ohiotom76

They're gross, that's what they are, lol. I'm a little skeptical of the tea tree oil claims though - seems like that stuff gets mentioned as being a cure for just about everything under the sun. And it has a really strong smell to it. But who knows, maybe it does work.

I usually just grab a pair of tweasers and rip them off, then put some hydrogen peroxide on it for a bit.

sandooch

I will try the Compound -W to freeze them bad boys off and hope they never come back. I don't dare cut them myself, I am to afraid to do that. I have so many that has come on me since I am up in age now and they say that's a show of old age, but I don't want that unwanted skin on me. Thanks Sandooch, and I will let you know how I am coming along so I have to go to the drug store to pick some up. I don't have insurance so I have to do this on my own.
Lena, I promise you...cutting them off is a lot less painful than freezing them. When you cut them, the pain lasts for one second and it is totally tolerable, like if you pricked yourself with a needle. Once the tag is cut off, it doesn't hurt any more. With the freezing of the tag, you have to hold the tip of the large q-tip containing the Freeze-Off on the tag for something like 10-20 seconds (can't remember how long exactly since it's been years since I last did it) and it will burn all that time. It, too, it a bareable pain, but why suffer for that long when you only feel the pinch for 1 second when you clip them? Also, when you freeze it, it will burn for up to 15 minutes, sometimes longer, afterwards, get red and swell up. And then you have to keep it covered with a bandaid (because it'll look gross and hurts if you accidentally touch it if you don't cover it up) until it turns black and falls off, which can take anywhere from 3-4 days. When you clip them, there is no waiting time. There may be a tiny dot of blood, but one swipe with an alcohol soaked cotton pad and it is gone.

In the end, it's up to you of course. If you feel chicken to do it yourself, see if you can get a family member or good friend to do it for you.

Sage

They use to be covered by insurance, but I think a lot of companies now just consider the removal to be cosmetic. I know there is a big sign up at my dermatologists office that states they no longer file insurance on them and that payment will be due on the day of treatment.

Nina

My husband goes to the dermatologist once or twice a year. She usually just clips them off. I was surprised the first time he had one taken care of. They didn't need stitches or anything. He has had a few little places that required a little more. Mostly, it's an easy thing.

Waynefire

Wow, I never knew these were so easy to take care of! Now I will have to get some Compound-W to take care of mine on my own. I have a ton of them and want to get rid of them!

SifuPhil

I've seen a lot of commercial OTC preparations for skin tags; just today there was a commercial on TV for some compound, "Tag Free" or some such, two bottles for $19.99 (+S&H of course!) - I think it was just a Melaleuca extract.

As has been said here, clippers or scissors work well. Tea tree oil, Compound W, a paste of castor oil and baking soda, fingernail polish ... even duct tape!

The only caveat would be if the tag is unusually large or is changing size - then you might want to consider professional care.

sandooch

Oh, definitely, Phil. I would never clip or freeze off a tag that was bigger than a half grain of rice. You do need to pay attention to what is a tag and what may be a mole.

artistry

I would only allow a doctor to cut one off, not sure what the outcome would be otherwise.. So, perhaps I will try the Compound W, thanks very much for the information.

Lena51

Oh jatelo2, thanks for the link. I had seem a advertisement today on TV about a natural solution to make them go away. So I ordered it and hopefully it works fine for me. But thanks anyway, I will read this and see what it say about them. I just really wanted to know where they come from and how you can prevent them from coming on you. Thanks again.

kayhill

Since my pregnancy I have been plagued with some on my inner thigh. I never had any before then and that is the only spot I have them. I saw a commercial for a product called "Tag Away" but I think I will try the more reliable product first and get some "Compound-W".

Apparently I've heard and read from a few sources that one way you get rid of them is by tying dental floss around it and leaving it there for 2-3 days. Apparently if you cut circulation off to "skin tags" it will make them fall off in a few days. I've also heard that skin tags is an early sign for cancer later on. But both are to speculation. Why not give it a shot?

Hope that helps.