Tubes tied

Luvkenny

How safe is it to get your tubes tied? How long are you out of work? Is it 100%? I heard there was another way for permanent birth control but they had to dilate your cervix to insert something into the tubes? Sounds pretty scary to me.

beallsam

I'm not too positive, not having domes this myself. I believe it requires a hospital stay, or at least it did when my Mom had hers done in 1989. Things may have changed since then, though! She believes that it caused her to go into menopause earlier. She went through it years before her older sister. I'm not sure if this is valid or an old wives tale, but you might want to look into that as a possible side effect, as well. (Although, she still went through menopause in her mid-40's, so it's not like it caused it to be super early, even if it did cause it. And her older sister also lives a much healthier lifestyle and has a very clean diet.) No birth control is 100%. I played field hockey in high school with a girl who was a tubal ligation baby:)

Beth23

It's a one day surgery now. I don't think its totally healthy and should be used only as a last option to other methods but thats just my opinion. My sister in law had it done and has had problems ever since with painful intercourse and digestive problems as well as bloating that wont go away in her stomach area.

misumaru15

Oh wow I didn't know they had reduced the surgery time. I can see why you see it as unhealthy in your sister in law's case. I don't relish painful intercourse. I dealt with that for Years and wouldn't want to repeat it.

blessedbe

Having a tubal ligation now is a day surgery. You're only in the hospital for 2-3 hours. They told me that I could go back to work after 2 days when I had mine done but I am really glad I took a week's vacation because I was sore for the entire week.

Getting your tubes tied is pretty close to 100% but there is a risk of pregnancy down the road. The doctors told me that a few women end up with tubal pregnancies after about 10 years. It's not that common, but it does happen.

Lyra

There are long term health effects to having a tubal. Then again, there are negatives to all forms of birth control. Many of the side effects reported by women are blown off by doctors as not being related to the surgery. However, this is often the way with women's ailments. 20 years ago women with fibromyalgia were told it was all in their heads. I recommend reading up on the side effects reported by women who have had the surgery. That will help you make your decision.

plsargent

There are long term hormonal side effects for a women to get her tubes tied. There are no long term side effects for a man to get snipped :) my husband is getting snipped.

Greenwoman

My mother was complaining about feminine discomforts, and I looked online for some studies on the affects of having one's tubes tied. Ironically, there aren't many; however, a lot of women have complained about weird bleeding issues later on after having their tubes tied.