Toothpaste

StingingNettle

Okay, so it's not technically soap. :p

What kind of toothpaste do you use? I use the Tom's of Maine fluoride-free, but I've heard that their quality has gone downhill recently since Proctor and Gamble acquired them.

Does anyone make their own? How bad is the taste?

SoftRain

I've only heard of people using Dr. Bronners or baking soda, both of which sound disgusting to me. I'll be interested to see if there are some more palatable ideas on this thread.

DanikaM

I make my own. I add coconut oil and baking soda and mix it until it makes a smooth paste. The ratio doesn't matter so much. I add tea tree oil and orange oil. About 5 drops each. Sometimes I do a little more on the orange for the flavor. You can add any essential oils for the flavor. I was a little hesitant on it though. My boyfriend made it and I'm not always up for something new and it was a little weird though but I got used to it quickly.

I saw a hazelnut oil and was like hmmmm coffee flavored toothpaste? haha

BivBev

I just use a mix of baking soda and peroxide. My teeth are pretty white so I think it works pretty good. Of course I avoid smoking, sodas and coffee (for the most part) and I get regular cleanings as well. So far in my life I have had one VERY minor and superficial cavity.

mamajen

Huh, I guess I didn't realize that people make their own toothpaste, but it makes sense.

Do you keep it in a container? Or do you make it up each time you brush? How does that work?

I've used baking soda and the taste is horrible. I'm going to try the coconut oil and baking soda. That should be a lot better. I stopped buying toothpaste with fluoride a long time ago because fluoride is supposed to be so bad for us.

Marjorie

Why is fluoride bad? I thought it was supposed to be good for our dental health and that's why it's in toothpaste. I guess we do get some in our water anyway though.

DanikaM

I store mine in a glass container. I just make about a cups worth each time and it lasts pretty long. You can add as much of the essential oils as you'd like for the taste. The tee tree oil isn't for taste though so I wouldn't put a lot of that.

Bianca

Sodium fluoride is industrial waste. It is added to our water and put in toothpaste because someone discovered that a side effect of *small* amounts *appears* to strengthen teeth. So they say. However, it is the same thing that Hitler put into the water supply to keep the people from uprising against him, from what I understand.

I had a friend tell me about using magnesium oil for toothbrushing. I have used it ever since. It is very good for you and helps keep the mouth very healthy. I add a little peppermint oil to it for flavor and freshening. I keep it in a 2-ounce spray bottle and just spray it on my toothbrush.

StingingNettle

Fluoride is useful topically, only. The fluoride we drink is poisonous and not helping our teeth. Bianca got it right. Municipalities were convinced to put in in the water supply by industries that wanted to be able to get rid of it easily. Over-fluoridation can cause things like weak bones.

Thanks for all the tips!

heytacos

I have tried just about everything on the market for sensitive teeth after learning of a nasty hereditary issue our family has. A few years back I gave up and ended up getting two sets of partial plates (somewhat like bridge work).