Things that kill fleas

boobah

I know we have all been facing terrible fleas this year. All the threads here about it shows me so. I am learning a lot about flea control. Like the fact that you can use salt to treat furniture and carpets. What about herbal remedies or oils. Are there any that can replace a chemical flea dip?

enthusiast

I sprayed white vinegar on my dogs and it made the fleas jump off. It didn't seem to have any long lasting effects, though. I've tried brewer's yeast, which someone recommended, but I didn't find that it worked well. There has to be something natural that works for a period of time. Does anyone know what it is?

Tazlina

I use a product called flicks spray. It says it's for horses but I have used it for years on my dogs and it was recommended to me by a person that raw feeds her dogs and uses all natural and homeopathic cures for her animals. I mail order it from Jeffers pet supply.
here it is,

Flicks Essential oil spray

(Animal Legends) All-natural & biodegradable - concentrated horse fly spray. Contains: lanolin, (for coat conditioning), Oils of cedarwood, eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, cajeput, pennyroyal (which are offensive to fleas, ticks, mosquitoes & flies). Contains no dyes. Available in 4 oz with empty 32 oz bottle (4 oz mixed with 28 oz water equal 32 oz) or 16 oz refill that makes a gallon.

I lived in northern calif on the beach and we had what we called super fleas, very hard to kill. I mixed it up and kept a spray bottle on my porch and encouraged all the pet owners to use as much as they needed. One lady told me after she used Advantage to kill fleas her dog was disorientated and staggered when he walked. Thats whaen I started putting it out for my neighbors and the dog never had to go through that again. At any rate those are the ingr. it will give you a starting place to make your own.

Tazlina

P.S,
I live in Alaska now and luckly we dont have fleas but I still use the Flicks spray, but on me and the dogs against the giant mosquitos we have up here. Regular mosq. dope will take off nail polish and melt plastic, think I'll pass on that and use the Flicks myself.

Nature

Chillin Under SummerLight
if you look for my post on herbal flee repellent, you will all be quite happy with the results :D

Tazlina

Hey Nature, I've done 3 searches and cant find your post, I admit my computer is not up to speed after it got a virus, but perhaps you could post a link? Thanks.

boobah

Yeah, I saw that thread after I posted this. I am planning on getting some. I am glad flea season is almost over. Next year I am going to be more diligent about flea prevention.

Jasmyne

I'm researching marigold as a means for flea-control. There's something about it that they don't like, it doesn't hurt the pets if they ingest it, and it deters ants when it's grown near the house (among other things).

ThymeforRodney

I've never heard of Flick's Spray but I'm going to try my best to find some. I have three cats and two dogs and I've used Advantix for years. I don't like to but I have to because they all live in the house with us. Thanks for the recommendation!

wanderingherb

If you are using this for animals please use caution and stay away from products with pennyroyal. It is effective to be sure, but our furry friends cannot tolerate it.

Wanderingherb

enthusiast

I'm happy to get some leads on natural products that work for fleas. This past summer was horrible and I hate using the chemicals. When flea season comes around next year, I'll be prepared with a product recommended on this thread.

Tazlina

There is such a tiny amount or the pennyroyal it isn't harmful and it is certainly better than the advantage and other very toxic flea products. My vet told me to use a tube of advantage on my little Scottie every week because the fleas found him especially tasty. Poor guy felt miserable and the skin on his back got tough and very irritated and lost the hair from just the monthly dose. There is no way you can tell me the little bit of pennyroyal in this product is worse than the commercial products. Lets face it, anything that repels or kills fleas that we use on our dogs might hurt the animal, it is up to us, the owners to research and find whatwe believe is best for our pets.

wanderingherb

Tazalina, I appologize if I've offended. Your right its your choice. I mean no offense, nor do i mean to imply a bad mom or dad would use it.

I only mean to warn as I would want someone to warn me. I don't give in to herbal scares very easy, in fact I abhor them. But, this is one I take seriously due to my background and experience of some very sad doggie owners.

It only takes the once to cause toxicity. Sometimes it takes a long term use. Do you know exactly the blend ratio? All breeds are different, all dogs are different. It is very sad when it happens. I know because I know who this has happened to because no one warned these folks.

I felt it my responsibility to bring it up. Especially when well practiced alternative veterinarians are not using pennyroyal product. I feel they know much more than I.

The point is, Dogs lick their coat. The build up in their system will cause the toxicity. Yes, I know of a few toxicity situations, one the dog went on dialysis, the other is gone. Its sad because we try to do the right thing.

I never said chemical was better. Please re-read.

However, there are infinite "natural" products on the market that do not use pennyroyal. So people do have choices. I would feel very bad if I kept my mouth shut knowing what has happened.

Wanderingherb

Tazlina

I am not upset or offended in any way and am sorry if you read that in my response. In a forum like this there are going to be disagreements and I would be a fool to get upset about them. We discuss things here and learn from each other.

You said:
I repeat, please stray away from products with pennyroyal E.O..

This is a very broad blanket statement and does not mention that the warnings were originaly meant for large amounts. To me this is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

wanderingherb

This is a very broad blanket statement and does not mention that the warnings were originaly meant for large amounts. To me this is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
No even small amounts build up over time and the damage is being done while licking. This is the concern. So even small amounts are not recommended.

I would put up many more references, but what is the use?

Wanderingherb