The Placebo Effect

writer811

With the placebo effect becoming more and more common in our time, do you think that for smaller things like colds and headaches it is more important to believe that whatever you're using is working than to take it and still be doubtful of it's effects? I've had some experience with the placebo effect before, feeling much better and having pain go away very quickly after taking "medicine" that basically has no medical properties.

beckyv1265

I don't take many drugs or natural remidies. I only know if I have pain I take a medicine for it. If it goes away it worked and the pain is gone. If it doesn't I try another until I receive the benefit desired. I also try to figure out what is causing the issue in the first place and correct the underlying problem.

gina121

Interesting post!
Well, it really depends what we are using the placebo on. Like they say, the common cold lasts a week if left untreated and lasts seven days if treated. So, it is best left untreated. If placebo works, then the treatment is all psychological. However, if it is the flu virus, it is best treated with antibiotics or flu medication. I am not sure if placebo will work here... not tried it myself nor read any research on it.

Also, when we try placebo on ourselves and we know beforehand that the medication we are consuming does not have any 'curative properties', it fails to fulfill the criteria of a placebo, since it is not a 'blinded' exercise!

rosie

The placebo effect is very effective. That's worrying to me because I'd hate to think I'm taking placebos and being told I'm on medication. (Shows you how much I trust my doctors, huh?)

xenon

Children are classic for the placebo effect. You've heard of Kiss it Better and the use band aids to make problems go away.
If it works why not.
I loved this quote
Interesting post!
Like they say, the common cold lasts a week if left untreated and lasts seven days if treated. So, it is best left untreated.
But I'm unsure of
However, if it is the flu virus, it is best treated with antibiotics or flu medication.
Flu or colds are not treated with antibiotics but secondary illness caused by them is such as pneumonia.

jason

Have a great day
The mind is a wonderful thing that I think can be more powerful then a drug. I see nothing wrong with a placebo if it works.

writer811

How prevention of the cold in the first place by keeping your immune system healthy.
I don't think you know how the common cold works. There are over 200 viruses that cause it. Most are completely harmless. The symptoms of sickness are caused by your immune system overreacting to their presence. Even thought it can't hurt you, your immune system will fight it as if it could. Once it has realized the virus is harmless, it stops and you'll never get sick from that specific virus again. It has nothing to do with being healthy. A person in perfect health can get it.

Beth23

I feel for non life threatening conditions it doesn't matter if its placebo or not. Of course I would rather take something thats not a placebo. The point of taking something for pain or illness is to clear the pain and illness up so you feel better. If it works, whether its from belief or from the actual medicinal properties the bottom line is it did what you intended it to do. The mind is a powerful healer and sometimes belief is the best medicine.

Beth

writer811

Very wise, Beth. But do you think it's possible for the placebo effect to help with major ailments? After all, the reverse placebo effect can potentially kill you. So why couldn't the placebo effect save your life?

Beth23

Very wise, Beth. But do you think it's possible for the placebo effect to help with major ailments? After all, the reverse placebo effect can potentially kill you. So why couldn't the placebo effect save your life?
I suppose it could but I don't know if I could honestly encourage someone to go with a placebo or decide against modern medical treatment for a serious illness. I think its something each individual has to decide. I would make them aware of their options of course. I love alternative meds and therapies and I see a functional med practitioner but for something serious I am heading for the hospital.

That's just me though. :p

writer811

Oh, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I don't think that we should abandon modern medicine for the placebo effect (Otherwise, wouldn't bleeding people out in the middle ages have worked? They all believe it would). I'm just saying that it might work better if people believe it will. If your subconscious knows for certain that a drug can help you, then maybe it won't try to fight that drug (I know people's own immune systems sometimes fight beneficial drugs) and other examples like that.

beckyv1265

I don't think you know how the common cold works. There are over 200 viruses that cause it. Most are completely harmless. The symptoms of sickness are caused by your immune system overreacting to their presence. Even thought it can't hurt you, your immune system will fight it as if it could. Once it has realized the virus is harmless, it stops and you'll never get sick from that specific virus again. It has nothing to do with being healthy. A person in perfect health can get it.
People with a good immune system will fight the cold and never get sick. Eating a good diet will help keep your immune system healthy. People who are not healthy generaly do not have great immune systems. Since I studied microbiology and have worked in health for 27 years I think I have a great grasp on how viruses work.