Teaching yoga

Asturian

I think it is a great way of encouraging and motivating yourself to practice yoga regularly and incorporate it in your daily life. Of course, to teach yoga professionally, you would need a certificate. But if you just wanted to share what you have learned in the yoga classes with some friends, I don't think you would need it.

Novembre

There is nothing wrong with teaching some basic yoga poses to your friends. But if I wanted to learn yoga seriously, I would go to regular yoga classes held by a competent instructor.

gina121

I always felt that yoga and dance teachers and fitness instructors are at an advantage. They not only get to teach something they are passionate about, but also get to practise alongside and improve their own fitness. I have a friend who is a personal trainer at a gym. She is passionate about fitness and enjoys teaching. She earns a living out of it. At the same time, every time she takes her client for an outdoor run, she gets her own workout too.:)

Pushhyarag2000

It is a good idea to create a group of interested friends & close community and share what has been learned. It not only is enjoyable for everyone but far more beneficial for the one who teaches. Of course, there are video CDs that can be used to get things right.

SifuPhil

Certification in yoga, as it is in martial arts, is in my opinion one of the most silly things to ever come along. It's done mainly as a profit center for the certifying organizations, but it also gives the students the idea that just because you have a piece of paper it means you're qualified to teach.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Here, want to become a yoga instructor? Send these people $69.99 and boom - you're a yoga instructor.

There are no established certifying boards in yoga, so any "certification" your instructor has really has no meaning.

Pushhyarag2000

Certification in yoga, as it is in martial arts, is in my opinion one of the most silly things to ever come along. It's done mainly as a profit center for the certifying organizations, but it also gives the students the idea that just because you have a piece of paper it means you're qualified to teach. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Here, want to become a yoga instructor? Send these people $69.99 and boom - you're a yoga instructor. There are no established certifying boards in yoga, so any "certification" your instructor has really has no meaning.
The whole concept of certification seems to have come into existence because of a large number of people in the West looking to get yoga training and certification from India and schools imparting such training courses. The Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT) and Certified Yoga School (CYS) have been promoted by Yoga Alliance and everyone in this value chain seems to make commercial capital: the seekers from various countries visiting Indian cities, the schools that are registered with Yoga Alliance and the YA itself?

SifuPhil

The whole concept of certification seems to have come into existence because of a large number of people in the West looking to get yoga training and certification from India and schools imparting such training courses. The Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT) and Certified Yoga School (CYS) have been promoted by Yoga Alliance and everyone in this value chain seems to make commercial capital: the seekers from various countries visiting Indian cities, the schools that are registered with Yoga Alliance and the YA itself?
Very true, and that's what scares me, because I've seen the same thing happen in my own career fields: more emphasis is placed on materialism than spirituality.

Sometimes I wonder if the West doesn't poison everything it touches ... :(