Staining over paint

We have some white trim in a room that I am wanting to put a stain over. I think it will work ok but was wondering if anyone else had done something like this before? It would be a light brown colored stain.

Lyra

Will that work? I would think it wouldn't, because the wood is sealed by the paint. Doesn't stain actually sink into the wood? Though maybe it sits on top of the paint and dries for a nice effect of some kind?

SoftRain

You will need to remove the paint before you can apply the stain. Yes, stain does sink into the wood. I have no idea how it would look if you tried to apply it on top of the paint, or if it would just sit there.

Aletha

I honestly don't think it would look right. The paint may bubble up too, when you put the stain on. I would take the paint off first.

Carolynn

My husband used to have a painting company, and he said that it won't work. You will have to chemically strip it and then sand it, and it still may not look right.

chabella

All Lady
I always thought you had to sand away the old before you put anything new on it, stain or more paint. I know when we repainted they still sanded the old off due to the age of the (old) paint.