Smiling and Stress

Cassia

We all have heard of the old adage 'Laughter is the best medicine' and many might have been convinced of its truth to a certain extent.

Psychological researchers of the University of Kansas did a study to find out the possible effects of smiling and the type of smiling on stress. The findings suggest that smiling might have a positive effect on the body's response to stress.

Sugarhill

Well, your link doesn't lead to anywhere, but I can definitely believe that smiling helps. If nothing else, it takes your mind off of the stress and your insistence to try to keep calm. The smile will help you and may even turn into a bit of a chuckle. I've done it.

xenon

Putting on a genuine smile really does lighten the situation. Suddenly whatever the problem was just isn't so bad anymore. In my experience, though, putting on a fake smile just makes it worse.

Luvkenny

I once did a study in college about how to relieve/reduce stress. Laughter and smiling was the top thing to do. We practiced it and it did work. I seriously keep funny email jokes and read them when I'm miserable.

aphil

I like this study because it is very true and real. In order to smile, you have to hav something good or relaxing on your mind or the effort to smile brings you an inner smile. When I see other people smile, it always makes me feel better and brings a smile to my face.
I think about all the people who are depressed or feeling low and stressed and how I can genuinely smile and somewhere within them they can feel it and it will help them feel better.

chabella

All Lady
I bet that is why they sometimes tell you to just grin and the bear the bad news? I have to say when I get stressed to the max most times I take a few extra minutes to fully absorb the information and then I end up smiling, after that its a cake walk.

I would have to agree with you. I definitely think that smiling reduces stress. I'm not sure if it is in your mind, or if it tricks your body into thinking you are happy and not stressing out about something. Thanks for this reminder!

gina121

This could explain why Laughter Clubs (practising laughter yoga) are quite popular in some parts of the world. According to science, the body does not know the difference between fake and real laughter, and we tend to reap the physiological and psychological benefits of laughter even by faking a smile! I've noticed that people who smile a lot appear much younger than their real age. This could be because smiling relaxes facial muscles and even exercises those muscles. :)

Smiling is a activity passed down to us by our ape ancestors. Apes use it as a very important social signal to indicate friendship and other feelings. It's no wonder this plays a part in our health as homo sapiens, it's been hardwired into our brains though millions of years of evolution.

artistry

Laughter and smiling are the best things you can do on a daily basis. If there is nothing to smile about, just smile until there is, seriously, we do not smile or laugh enough. I love to laugh, I laugh at the stupidiest things. Whenever and wherever, try to smile more, it is a destresser, laughter is ever better.

ohiotom76

It's so hard to smile though when you're stressed, comes off as fake or manic. If I have nothing to smile about I cannot really fake it.

Nina

I wonder if studies have been done on people whose faces don't smile easily. I know some really happy, positive people, but their faces don't always show it. Then I know some people with smiles on their faces even when they are negative and even angry. It's something in the muscles and designs of their faces.

It's so hard to smile though when you're stressed, comes off as fake or manic. If I have nothing to smile about I cannot really fake it.
Yeah, I can relate to this. It's kind or irritating when I deal with people who are obviously forcing a less than genuine smile, there's something unsettling about it. Just being aware of smiling and making an effort to do it a just little more might be the kickstart you (and I) need.

HealthyS7

In that case, I am going to have to listen to some stand up comedy while I am working because that is what is stressing me out the most these days.

sandooch

I've always believed in that saying "Fake it 'til you make it". So even if you have to force yourself to smile when you least want to, over time you can't help but just start to feel happier. And like others have mentioned, when you see someone smile, it makes you smile, too, or at least feel a little happier inside. Imagine if everyone smiled for a better part of the day! This would be a very happy, stress-free world.

Jatelo2

We all have heard of the old adage 'Laughter is the best medicine' and many might have been convinced of its truth to a certain extent.

Psychological researchers of the University of Kansas did a study to find out the possible effects of smiling and the type of smiling on stress. The findings suggest that smiling might have a positive effect on the body's response to stress.
I have believed this notion all along. I'm most pleased that there are studies confirming my practice since I have always practiced smiling whenever I felt stressed and often the stress is reduced or gone! Can you share the link please!

hunysukle

Smiling can actually trick your brain into believing that you're happy, which in return actually causes you to become happier. I can definitely see how smiling can reduce stress, even if it's just a placebo.

Lyra

I've heard this many times. My natural facial expression is not one with a smile. I've been trying to do better. I posted a sign under my mirrors saying, "Put on a happy face!" to help me remember to put a smile on my face. It does seem to help.

Esperahol

I wonder if studies have been done on people whose faces don't smile easily. I know some really happy, positive people, but their faces don't always show it. Then I know some people with smiles on their faces even when they are negative and even angry. It's something in the muscles and designs of their faces.
That is a good question, because honestly I look like a sad or angry person most of the time. However, I am a generally content individual - in fact I am sometimes a very happy person, I just don't show it.