Skin flap

chabella

All Lady
I am not sure what these are called but they look like the same color of skin, but its not flat, more like its a flap of extra skin. What is this, what causes it and how can it be removed? A cousin has one and while hes in the medical field (a navy med tech) he refuses to even have it checked out.

Sugarhill

It sounds like a skin tag. I wouldn't suggest it, but I had one, got tired of it and just pulled it off. It took some time before I worked up to that and I watched over a period of time to ensure that it wasn't a mole.

For the most part, they are benign and just develop due to skin rubbing against each other, but also if the person is overweight or has diabetes. Does you friend have any of these things? He may know what it is, but doesn't feel like talking to you about it. Who is more annoyed by it? You or him?

Lyra

Yes, my understanding is that skin tags are no more then an irritant. They do not pose a danger. However, they can be cut off easily in the doctor's office if they are in a bothersome location or are otherwise uncomfortable.

Luvkenny

I actually have a couple of these too. They are irritating as my bra rubs on them. They are not dangerous to me though - I have had them checked out. Don't pull them off!

Sugarhill

Why not? :D I pulled mine because it was getting on my nerves. It bled more than I thought it would, but after a minute or so, it stopped and healed up. It's never come back either. I'm glad I did it and wish I had sooner. Why didn't you have them removed when the doctor checked them out?

Jessi

If he doesn't want to get it checked out, then it obviously can't be bothering him too much and he might as well just leave it alone. If he decides to see a doctor, they can do a quick outpatient snippity snip snip and he'll be out of there in no time. The doctor can give him some anesthesia so it's not as painful and can make sure there's not much bleeding if it's in a place that might bleed.

Sugarhill

For some reason, they always bleed. My mother also had one and it was hanging by what would seem like the thinnest piece of skin. I told her to just snatch it off, that is how thin the connecting skin was in between the eyelid and the bulb that it turned into. The doctor snipped it off and it still bled for a bit. But, that ridiculous tag was gone.

freshfoodie

I have had skin tags and they are more irritating than anything else. The ones I have had I have clipped off with fingernail clippers and cleansed the area after. I think your cousin probably understands that and it is why he isn't getting it checked.

Sage

If you keep it covered with a liquid bandage for a week or so it will eventually die and fall off. You can also tie a small piece of dental floss around it and it will shrink, dry up and fall off. I got those two tips from Dr. Oz.

Parker

I have never know or heard of a doctor who just pulled on a skin tag to remove it. It is usually removed by freezing it. I can't imagine just pulling it off.

Sugarhill

No, a doctor better not pull on a skin tag. A doctor cut my mother's off, but I told her way before she went to just pull it off as it literally looked like a cherry with a stem on her face, but dramatically smaller. The stem part of her tag looked so thin, that I didn't think it would bother her. She refused to do it.

xenon

I had a small one on my eyelid. I had it checked out and the doctor just pulled it off. Bye bye skin tag.

shaunche

It does sound like a skin tag. I had a skin tag on my neck, at the bottom of my hairline. I had it removed when I was a teenager. Having a skin tag removed surgically is a very simple and short procedure, but you don't need to have it removed if it doesn't bother you.

Lena51

It does sound more or less like skin tags and not flaps. I have them myself and I hate them. I had really smooth skin until that started to happen. But I see that there is a natural product that you can get that is called "Tagaway" and you can go to the website to read about it and see what you think of this, the site is: mytagaway.com, so try that.

I've never had one of these but I've seen them on people before and always wondered what they were. None of them ever got them removed so I have always assumed that they are not a significant cause for concern. It won't cause serious problems but it can be removed if he so desires.

Lena51

Yes that's what they are and they are not a big deal. They will not harm you as I know but your doctor can remove them or you can remove them yourself. I have ordered a natural product that says that it will remove them. So I will let you know how it works for me and you may want to try it after I give it a go and get results.

shaunche

Incidentally, the skin tag I had removed over a decade ago is showing signs of returning. I feel a small bump on exactly the same spot and I'm sure the skin tag is growing back. Has anyone else experienced the regrowing of a removed skin tag?

Jessi

They don't usually come back in exactly the same spot, but it's not uncommon for them to pop up elsewhere. It's possible you're just noticing it in a place that's close by.

I have a couple of them and they are from skin rubbing together and causing that flap. My wife looked it up and said it is common in diabetics for some reason.

It sounds like a skin tag to me too. Is it near the armpit or on the chest area? Those are the most common places. You can get these removed at the doctors office. There are also natural methods you can use. You could probably do a simple search and find ways to get rid of them right on here.