Shopping Pet Peeves

ohiotom76

No matter where I park, or how far away I park, someone always pulls up next to my drivers side door and happens to be getting out of their car the exact moment I'm trying to get into mine. Then they take their good old time doing it, leaving me standing there like mr. creepy or something when all I'm trying to do is just get into my car.

If you're walking incredibly slow for whatever reason, have the common sense to step to the side and do that. On that note, some guy actually made a crack to me one time when I walked past him in a wide open shopping mall, and said "I'm sorry I'm not walking fast enough". I wanted to turn around and tell him "Are you kidding me?"

Credit card machines have been at the registers for well over 15 years now. There's no excuse if you don't know how to operate one. It doesn't take a computer science degree. Similarly, if you struggle with automated check outs, just go to a cashier instead please.

claudine

It's rather a small thing, but I don't like when people smell vegetables and instead of buying them, they put them down. I always wonder how many people smelled my vegetables before I've bought them.

Jessi

I hate when someone stops right in front of me. Similar to the slow walkers, if you decide you want to look at something, just step over in the aisle and look. You don't need to suddenly stop and have people almost run into you. :S

Luvkenny

Amen! I hate it when people pull out a checkbook to write a check. Hello! Get a debit card. I am usually in a hurry when I shop and I don't like to be slowed down by other people.

Esperahol

Eh, I don't shop if I don't have time so I have very few peeves. Then again I'm that person who stops and helps the elderly individual trying to find their favorite brand or the cheapest whatever. I am also that person who actually adds up how much everything will cost before I get to the register so I don't have to put anything back. I don't like stress and really shopping should not be an especially stressful activity. I also write checks on occasion if I need to float something until payday.

sandooch

I am a big coupon user and usually have anywhere from 20-30 coupons for my weekly shopping trip. I am always considerate in writing in the amount of the product when I have one where I get a free item. Every time I do this, the cashier always thanks me and usually says, "Most people don't do that, and then I have to look through the receipt to find the price." I know...I can't stand being in back of those coupon people. It's bad enough to make people wait while you look through your purse for your twenty-five-cent-off coupon you just know is in there somewhere, but then you don't write down the price of a product on a free item, too? I really hate holding people up behind me, so that is a big pet peeve of mine.

Lena51

I know the story, I hate it when people hold up the line also, it's like they have no where else to be and don't care about you may be in a hurry to get some place. They take there own sweet time with those coupons or wic-vouchers they have and that irritates me. Why can't you go to the store when it's not crowded and do your shopping.

sammilynn

People not watching where they're going, and just randomly stopping while walking without paying any attention to their surroundings. Drives me INSANE. It's not that hard to pay attention, if you did, we wouldn't have people running into each other like fools all the time. I just hate it when I'm paying attention and being all careful, and then some oaf runs right into me without apologizing too... that's another thing... so basically, my shopping pet peeves are just a lack of common sense and rude people.

ohiotom76

So I was just reading this recently, but apparently Wal-Mart is testing out some new system where people with smartphones can scan all their items in their buggy themselves, then just walk up to a kiosk to make a payment for them. This sounds like an awesome idea! I would love to do something like this and not have to stand in lines at the store. They didn't specify if they would also accept mobile payments, because if they do, then that means no line at all.

AnonaMoss

I hate when someone leaves their basket in the middle of the aisles while they are off deciding between products. I also hate when people come flying off of the aisle they were on like a bat out of heck. Driving rules still apply. Yield or stop when you're coming off of an aisle. You could hit someone with your basket.

rayne

I have a different pet peeve. I hate to get behind someone on food stamps and see what they buy with those food stamps that my taxes helped to pay for. They buy brand name everything, the best cuts of meat, the best and freshest vegetables and fruits and they always have the cash to pay for their beer and cigarettes. Why?

Jessi

Amen! I hate it when people pull out a checkbook to write a check. Hello! Get a debit card. I am usually in a hurry when I shop and I don't like to be slowed down by other people.
I don't mind that so much when they actually do it the RIGHT way. As in, they pull out their book as soon as it's their turn. They write in the date, sign the check, fill in who it's being written to, etc. That way, as soon as the cashier finishes, all they have to do is write in the total amount and hand it over. That doesn't take any longer than swiping and getting a card approved. I don't know why more people don't do it that way.

jovan107

I hate when I'm shopping for produce and someone is squeezing and poking the produce and they know they are not going to buy it. I also hate it when people smell vegetables and put it back.

My biggest pet peeve is when I am standing in line waiting to check out and then the people walk up behind me to get in line and then stand like 4 inches away from me. Give me some damn personal space, I don't want you breathing on my neck while I am trying to check out.

sandooch

I know the story, I hate it when people hold up the line also, it's like they have no where else to be and don't care about you may be in a hurry to get some place. They take there own sweet time with those coupons or wic-vouchers they have and that irritates me. Why can't you go to the store when it's not crowded and do your shopping.
Honestly, if it's done right, giving coupons to the cashier shouldn't hardly take any extra time at all, even when it's busy. I normally have 20-30 coupons and it takes the cashier less than one minute to scan them all. But I completely understand the frustration when couponers aren't prepared.

marchese

items in stores being priced. Honestly, how is it that there are items in stores that have no price tag on them! Drives me nuts. Then when you go to the cash register and ask for a pricing on something they look at you like you have a third eye! Frustrating!

Aletha

Wal-Mart seems to be a pet peeve with a lot of us. I hate playing dodge carts with the other wild driving shoppers. At the first of the month when everyone on government assistance get their checks, you take your life in your hands when you go there. I agree with Anona about everyone not having common sense when they are pushing the carts. They will never yield the right of way and look at you like you're the problem. I also hate to see some people get those little driveable shopping carts for people who have problems getting around. I've driven them myself when I had knee surgery and it took me forever to get around the store because of people being pushy and rude. But, some of the driver's will kill you with those things! They try to run over you and get you out of their way. I always say it's like playing dodge ball with the pedestrian's as the balls. The food stamp issue is a pet peeve of mine too. When the person is checking out with food stamps and they have the latest iPhone with a full mani/pedi, a Channel purse and Abercrombie clothing with Nike Airs that cost tons, I am a little peeved when I have to buy hamburger and macaroni to feed my family with behind them. I go to the pharmacy and pay out the nose for medications while people I know make much more than I can get their prescriptions for $3 each just burns my buttons. I honestly think that there needs to be a ruling that if people can afford to buy cigarettes and other luxury items, they can't have food stamps. I have no problem with helping someone when they're down on their luck but to support that type of lifestyle AND allow us to pay for their groceries and subsidize their rent is ridiculous.

chabella

All Lady
Parking, idiots that can not drive their carts, cashiers that do not hand over Catalina coupons. Take your pick I have many! My most recent issue today was walking into my local food store to see one line open at 8AM, one other person behind the "help me" desk and zero of the six self check outs open. o_O

Sage

I guess I have a rather odd list of pet peeves. I hate buying chicken leg quarters when there are five in a pack and there are only two of us. Why can't they package them in groups of two or six? I also can't stand to buy ground beef and it be way under a pound or way over a pound. I want a pound. I will buy a pack that weighs 1.01 or 1.05, but I don't need a pound and a half of ground beef!

ohiotom76

I just remembered another one: When all the checkouts are backed up with people waiting in lines, please stop trying to cut through all of them to get across several aisles.