Scars and Cold Weather

Cassia

Can cold weather make old surgical scars hurt? I have a two-year old scar as a result of lumpectomy, and I have noticed that during the winter, I get this sharp pain. It quickly disappears though.

Lyra

I think that can happen. I know that old bone breaks can flare up due to weather or other factors. I broke my wrist once and for the next few years, even though it was completely healed, every once in a while it would just give out when I was leaning on it.

Penelope

Yes, scars can hurt with cold weather. I don't know why that is, to be honest, but I've noticed it with my surgical scar. I actually thought I had developed adhesions a couple of years ago, because it hurt so much, but it went away when the severe cold snap did.

Aletha

I haven't heard of it, but I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't had any trouble with any of my surgical scars but I'm sure any site of an injury of any kind would be subject to inflammation if the weather conditions are right.

Alli

Oh my yes. I can usually predict the weather better than the weatherman can. It has to do with the barometric pressure. At least that's what my doctor says. I just know if all my broken bones hurt at one time, we had better get prepared for a major snow storm.

freshfoodie

I am pretty sure that happens. I know all of my old bone breaks hurt when the weather gets really cold or really damp. I think it has something to do with lack of blood circulation in the scar tissue.

Luvkenny

Makes sense to me. My bones ache when it is really cold out. Sometimes they ache when it is really humid out too. I would think scars would be the same.

chabella

All Lady
I have never had a scar that did that but I am sure it could happen. Cold tends to bother my hands and my back a great deal, I don't see any reason why a scar would really be much different.

SoftRain

I've never experienced anything like that with my c-section scar, although I do have occasional pains. However, I don't live in a cold area so that likely has something to do with it.

Trudy

I have an appendectomy scar resulting from an operation when I was five years old. It gets tender once in a while, but I've never known the cold to affect it. I generally keep it warm, however.