Replacement of Coffee or Tea

Natural

Is there anything I can drink that could replace coffee or tea? These are healthy when taken on moderation but I'm getting addicted to tea and that is bad for me.

SuzyQ

I drink one cup of strong coffee in the morning before breakfast, then a glass of milk and the rest of the day I drink sparkling water. I don't like tea although I do have an urge for a cup maybe once or twice a year!

wanderingherb

Ya i have a coffee problem too. My aunt made a great suggestion that has actually been working.

Drink your normal two cups or three via in the morning. On that third when the cup is about 1/4 down, fill with hot water. Continue doing this until...its water you are drinking! Weans you off slowly. You can do the same with tea. And actually there are awesome teas out there such as green tea and herbal teas you could replace the tea with.

You can use a replacement coffee. Check in health food section.

Garden Ginny

Green teas have caffeine in them, and if it's the addiction to the caffeine you're trying to break, you're best to avoid them.

One thing that I enjoy is a pot of NON-tea: hot water with a citrus twist to it.

Chicory was used by the Natives of North America as a coffee; it's sometimes used in coffee to decrease it's bitterness (and if it's good coffee, it's not bitter to begin with).

And if you want the definition of a headache, go cold-turkey on the coffee drinking: you'll have a monstrous headache by day 3 that simply will not quit pounding.

wanderingherb

Green teas have caffeine in them, and if it's the addiction to the caffeine you're trying to break, you're best to avoid them....
(cut to save room)....
And if you want the definition of a headache, go cold-turkey on the coffee drinking: you'll have a monstrous headache by day 3 that simply will not quit pounding.
Boy isn't that the truth. Coffee headaches are bad and they don't hit til days later.

Green Tea has caffeine, but very little and its high content of antioxidants far outweigh the content of caffeine. Caffeine is not bad its our overindulgence. Or a medical situation.

IMO, Having a glass of wine is fine, having a lotta wine is not! With caffeine green tea is real good for keeping the headache at bay. Plus you are getting some excellent antioxidants. Its far better than drinking something that has been decaffeinated. Also herbal teas, and that is actually at about 3:00 in the afternoon what I begin to drink!

wanderingherb

Hedda

Some health food stores sell dandelion root coffee and tea. I have not tried it as yet, but from what I understand, it tastes like coffee without the effects. Dandelion root is a good liver detoxifier as well.

Natural

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The type of tea that I'm addicted with is iced tea. It's the ready-drink tea and that is sweet and keeps me going throughout the day.

I will try to replace this tea with citrus and see how it works on me.

CrystalHugger

You can use roasted chicory for coffee. It's what they used here during WWII when coffee was in short supply. It doesn't taste exactly the same but it does contain a bit less caffeine than the regular. I also wanted to mention that even decaffeinated coffee and tea have a bit of caffeine in them. It' s not as much but there is some. I would recommend a strong tasting tea such as peppermint. You have to be careful though because some are a mix of tea and peppermint. Just don't replace it with soda. :)

wanderingherb

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. The type of tea that I'm addicted with is iced tea. It's the ready-drink tea and that is sweet and keeps me going throughout the day.

I will try to replace this tea with citrus and see how it works on me.
If you're used to the "sweet" put stevia in it. You may like it and stevia also has some benefits. Just make sure its real stevia.

wanderingherb

Maternal

I am with you about stevia, it's a good alternative to sugar and other (chemical) artificial sweeteners. A friend of mine have ever brought me tea, whose ingredients are dried apples and some other herbs except the real tea.

shyness

My parents enjoy drinking Sassafras Root tea, but me, not so much. If you enjoy Root Beer, then you may like the taste of Sassafras tea.