Removing cat stains

Lyra

While my cat was sick, she had a few accidents outside the box. I've scrubbed with soap and water, then with Resolve for Pet Stains and doused liberally with vinegar. I've always had good success with vinegar before but it wasn't enough this time; there is still a faint odor. Should I just keep applying vinegar? Any other ideas?

Jessi

If it's on carpet, chances are, it has soaked down into the padding. In that case, yes, you're going to want to try again and leave it for a bit longer.

Also, try baking soda. Pour on a fair bit and let it attempt to soak up some of the odor.

writer811

It depends on where the cat peed, I guess. The poster above me has the right idea about the carpet. If it's your clothes or towels, try the vinegar a few more times and try washing in both hot and cold water. Have you considered maybe getting your carpet or clothes steam cleaned? Some people have good results with that.

misumaru15

I think you should try it again. Perhaps sprinkle the stained area with baking soda. Then douse with vinegar. It will probably bubble and fizz. When dry you should vacuum it up.

Luvkenny

I agree with the others here, keep on trying it. Maybe if you keep doing it the smells will go away. I once had to rip up the carpet because I could not get rid of the smells.

If you have carpet just get rid of it; you will be better off. Nothing works on it; the only thing that sort of worked was when the carpet guys shot the carpet with some big ass syringe that got all the way down to the pad and then they cleaned it and sucked it up with a super wet vac type thing.

hunysukle

Whatever you do, don't use vinegar. While vinegar is wonderful for removing most stains, it actually doesn't kill cat pee odors, so cats are likely to revisit the area and piss there again. Your best bet is to use enzyme-based odor neutralizers designed for removing cat odors. The enzymes actually break down the odors and stains, restoring your carpet. Or, you could try this - It has great reviews!

sandooch

I've found the only thing that worked for me when we had carpets is Nature's Miracle Advanced Formula. It has a very pleasant scent to it. I felt it did a great job at not only removing the stain, but at eliminating the odor.

Waynefire

I have found that tea tree oil will do a wonderful job of removing the smell. It can be strong at times, so you want to be cautious in how much you want to use. However, you will find this can work great as well at helping with the stain removal if the stain is still present.