Quick home remedy for fleas!?

We have an inside cat that has decided she now wants to stay outside all the time. Our dog is now staying out all the time too. So, of course you know what has happened! Fleas every where! I have been spraying with flea spray over and over but can't quite seem to get rid of them. Are there any quick remedies besides calling pest control?

Aletha

We use pickling salt at our house. I sow it as I do fertilizer in the garden and just leave it. It will work it's way down to the bottom of the carpet as you walk on it. I leave it on there all the time and my carpet is still OK, but I don't know about yours. You can also use it on bare floors. Sprinkle it on and then take a broom and try to work it into the minute cracks in flooring and under the baseboard. The salt nicks the carapace of the flea and the flea will dehydrate, of course killing them. It also does the flea eggs the same way. So far we are having good luck with it, but then the animals come in and out so they are still bringing fleas in, but they are a lot better and I think after the first hard freeze we'll be OK.

Primrose

The first thing I do is treat the animal so the fleas will stay off. There are detergents out there that will drown the fleas when you bath the animal. Second thing is get flea spray that will work. Either go to the vet or Pet Smart or Pet Co and get a high end flea spray for the carpet. After a day or two, vacuum like crazy and that should take care of your pests.

Lyra

Good luck. We've never had a flea problem until this summer and it has been a pain in the rear. I've tried everything natural. Really, I think you just have to keep at it. Don't forget to vacuum at least once a week and dump the bag/canister as soon as you finish.

Well we don't have carpet. Our floors are mostly wood or tile. I think I am starting to get them under control now (hopefully) and have bathed the dog. I've just been spraying and spraying and have vacuumed a good bit. It's a pain to do but can't be helped I guess.