Problem with homemade deodorant

Lyra

I have been using homemade deodorant recently. I love how well it works, and that it does not have aluminum or other harmful chemicals. However, after a few weeks I noticed a rash on my underarms. After investigating online, I learned that the baking soda is probably burning my skin a bit.

What is the solution to this? Should I just add more of the other ingredients to cut down on the proportion of baking soda to other ingredients? Is it safe to use in smaller doses? I hate to give up my new deodorant that works so well.

Sugarhill

Is it really working well, if you are breaking out in a rash? I understand the desire to go natural in many ways of your life, but it shouldn't be at the cost of your health and overall comfort. Some things you should let others do. If you really must use a natural deodorant, why not Tom's Natural deodorant?

What are the other ingredients? You might be able to get away with lessening or even eliminating the baking soda if it's causing you a problem.

Jessi

Do you need to use it every day? Could you potentially take breaks in between on more laid back days? Your underarms might need a breather in between at times.

Sugarhill

Jessi, do the natural deodorants make it easier for people to skip a day? Is it something that the body gets used to and starts producing a better or a neutral smell?

Cassia

If you think that the baking soda is the culprit then you'd better stop using it or at least give your skin a break? I just wonder if there is an alternative to baking soda. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Rogers

We gave it a shot about a year ago and had similar problems. Both of my daughters' have sensitive skin, with my youngest having severe Eczema. She had burns that looked very much like chemical burns. I got rid of it all and never tried it again. It might be a money saver, but it wasn't worth harming my children.

We gave it a shot about a year ago and had similar problems. Both of my daughters' have sensitive skin, with my youngest having severe Eczema. She had burns that looked very much like chemical burns. I got rid of it all and never tried it again. It might be a money saver, but it wasn't worth harming my children.
I've never tried using homemade deodorant, but now I kind of don't want to, as I have pretty bad eczema myself...

Sugarhill

This.

There is a reason why those companies have people in lab coats making all of this stuff for us and even then, there are some deodorants that one person can't use that another can. Everything in your house doesn't have to be made by your hand.

I didn't know that this could actually be done homemade because I'm afraid of the side effects that could occur if not done the right way. I do know that calamansi extract helps a lot when it comes to whitening the underarm though in case those deo (homemade or not) tend to create unwanted skin discoloration on your underarms.

Jessi

Jessi, do the natural deodorants make it easier for people to skip a day? Is it something that the body gets used to and starts producing a better or a neutral smell?
Well keep in mind that deodorant is different than antiperspirant. A deodorant isn't built to stop the sweat in the first place like an antiperspirant is. So if it's the former, then no, the sweat production is the same, but because you're not using all those chemicals, you may find that it doesn't smell as bad either. So even though you're sweating and it's still producing some smell, it may not be as horrible. Even just skipping it on weekends when you're not going to work might be enough of a break.

Esperahol

This.

There is a reason why those companies have people in lab coats making all of this stuff for us and even then, there are some deodorants that one person can't use that another can. Everything in your house doesn't have to be made by your hand.
This is a good point. Not all natural materials take into account the sensitivity of an individual. Sometimes it's better to dial it in and get the right stuff from the store.

freshfoodie

If it is giving you a rash I would definitely think twice about using it. Maybe washing your underarm thoroughly at the end of the day would help. I have very sensitive skin myself so I will probably have to skip this natural remedy.

Lyra

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've used Tom's of Maine in the past, but I didn't find it very effective. In fact, the one I used actually made me smell worse. I didn't want to spend more money on their other scents to find out if it was just that one that didn't work great.

I am actually very committed to finding a natural alternative to commercial deodorant. Aluminum in deodorants has been linked to some big health risks, such as cancer and Alzheimer's. It has been proven that aluminum builds up in in the tissue surrounding the armpit. Beyond that, I am very pleased with how well this deodorant fights odor.

If lowering the proportion of baking soda does not fix the problem, I may not have a choice. But I will keep looking for better alternatives.

That may be why baking soda hurts my gums after a while when I brush my teeth. My husband has used burts bees deodorant and I don't think it works as well as the stuff with the nasty chemicals in it, unfortunately. I would suggest switching off with the homemade deodorant and using it once every other day or so to give your underarms a break.

Lyra

I would suggest switching off with the homemade deodorant and using it once every other day or so to give your underarms a break.
That is a good idea. I may try that, if needed. I adjusted my recipe tonight and will try it with much less baking soda for the next week or so and see how it goes.

Jessi--THANK YOU! It might take me a bit of time to procure those ingredients, but I am so glad for an alternative.