Overwhelmed

Sage

Do you ever just get the feeling that you have so much to do that you are never going to get caught up? This week has really been rough for me. I can't decide if I am taking on too much, or if I am just so disorganized that I keep letting myself get overwhelmed.

Parker

All the time! I know it's because I set unrealistic goals. I also know that I spend too much time worrying about something instead of taking action. I keep telling myself awareness is necessary before you can change your behavior. My friend tells me to have some compassion and to forgive myself.

Sugarhill

It could be all of those things. So, what you should do is to take a step back and look at all of it. Are these things that can be prioritized? Are they things that can be broken up into shifts or smaller tasks? Are they things that really need to be done or can only be done by you? Are you really maximizing your time?

Since you feel like you aren't getting anything done anyway, take a couple of hours to really assess what it is that you are doing and trying to do. It may be easier for you to sort everything out than you think it is. Don't spend your time feeling sorry about the situation, spend your time looking at it realistically.

gina121

Ohh.. many of us seem to be in the same boat, it appears! I feel this way especially during weekends when I feel even 24 hours aren't enough in a day.
You are right, Sugarhill. Probably many of the tasks can be prioritized and postponed or even delegated. Sometimes, I just feel that things can done faster if I did them myself. I wish I could change that about myself.:(

Sugarhill

If they are things that can truly be done quicker if you did them yourself, then hurry up and do them. Get them off your list and move on with the rest of the things on your plate. Don't waste time with trying to get someone to do what they are supposed to do. It's a distraction that you just don't need, so eliminate it.

Don't spend too much time on what you can change, use it for what you can change.

Carolynn

All the time! I know it's because I set unrealistic goals. I also know that I spend too much time worrying about something instead of taking action. I keep telling myself awareness is necessary before you can change your behavior. My friend tells me to have some compassion and to forgive myself.
I do this a lot too Parker, but I am trying to get better about getting things done and trying to simplify my life. Less stuff and less people in my life seem to be the best ways for me to achieve this.

misumaru15

I have been feeling that way too. I have to stop and take a breath. I then try to break up all I have to do into bites. This seems more manageable.

Parker

Since you feel like you aren't getting anything done anyway, take a couple of hours to really assess what it is that you are doing and trying to do. It may be easier for you to sort everything out than you think it is. Don't spend your time feeling sorry about the situation, spend your time looking at it realistically.
This will probably help me tremendously. I am master of lists and flowcharts. I need to prioritize better. I have so much on my plate and nothing really gets done because I am diffusing my focus and efforts. Tomorrow after services, I'm going to spend a few hours at the park and get my thoughts and priorities in order.

Completely off-topic: My store has been out of chia seeds for a week so I haven't been able to make the chia-jello concoction. ;)

Sugarhill

I'm glad what I suggested sounds like it can help you. Realize that the list doesn't immediately get done and the flowchart isn't a bad thing. Not trying to make a list or a flowchart because you don't believe it will done is a problem.

Make the first list and flowchart and start working on it day by day. As you start with the plan, you will see what works and what doesn't work. As you continue to work it, you'll see things that you "should've seen" from the beginning and incorporate that. Just keep tinkering and working with it.

Look at how different parts of your plan unfolds in an hour, two hours, etc. See if that is a satisfactory amount of time for you, if it is, keep going to become more efficient. If it isn't see what what it is that isn't allowing you to be efficient. You have what it takes to do this, you just have to give yourself a chance to do it.

You'll have that Chello soon enough and you'll be running up and down the streets of Cali trying to sell it in an ice cream truck! :D

sandooch

You are definitely in the majority here. Every day I write out a to-do list, and I know it's a ton of stuff that I most likely won't be able to get to it all. But at the start of the day, it seems doable. I am lucky if I can get almost half of done. It just seems like these days, more than ever, there are not enough hours in the day.

Esperahol

I write lists, because that way I managed to accomplish at least one thing for the day. Seriously though, just pick five things that have to be done and leave the rest as bonuses. If you get to them then yeah! Celebrate with cake! If not - still celebrate with cake! Either way at least you get the big five done and you're not ready to start carving dolls out of other people's bones while cackling. Everyone wins.

artistry

Best to categorize what the most important things are, list them. A second list would be all the other things, in order of importance, then do them in accordingly. Nothing is that important that you must stress yourself out over, unless someone is sick and needs attention. Then too, you should make sure you take care of yourself.

Lena51

Take a stress break when you feel overwhelmed, nothing is that important that you can't do another day or time. Make yourself a to do list each day and only do those and you will feel better as you get each chore done in a orderly and timely fashion. Do not take on more than you can do and you will be fine.

Yes! We all get like that from time to time. It is important to remember that it will all pass. Take a deep breath and take a few minutes to yourself. In order to get everything done, your body needs to function correctly. This may mean that you need some time to yourself before you complete the tasks. Keep your goals reasonable and remind yourself that you will feel less overwhelmed after everything you are stressed about is over.

Oh, man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like every day I try to bite off more than I can chew. I've tried just making shorter to-do lists, and usually I'm more successful at completing them, but then I feel like I didn't do enough...

Parker

I'm glad what I suggested sounds like it can help you. Realize that the list doesn't immediately get done and the flowchart isn't a bad thing. Not trying to make a list or a flowchart because you don't believe it will done is a problem.

Make the first list and flowchart and start working on it day by day. As you start with the plan, you will see what works and what doesn't work. As you continue to work it, you'll see things that you "should've seen" from the beginning and incorporate that. Just keep tinkering and working with it.

Look at how different parts of your plan unfolds in an hour, two hours, etc. See if that is a satisfactory amount of time for you, if it is, keep going to become more efficient. If it isn't see what what it is that isn't allowing you to be efficient. You have what it takes to do this, you just have to give yourself a chance to do it.

You'll have that Chello soon enough and you'll be running up and down the streets of Cali trying to sell it in an ice cream truck! :D
I did work on my priorities yesterday (Sunday). My main problem was that I was trying to do five major projects at once. I was really diffuse my energy and focus. I decided to order the projects in terms of importance. I promised myself that I wouldn't start another project until I completely what I was working on.

Now, I need to stick to it. :D

classicnyer said:
Oh, man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like every day I try to bite off more than I can chew. I've tried just making shorter to-do lists, and usually I'm more successful at completing them, but then I feel like I didn't do enough...
You are so not alone!

Sugarhill

I did work on my priorities yesterday (Sunday). My main problem was that I was trying to do five major projects at once. I was really diffuse my energy and focus. I decided to order the projects in terms of importance. I promised myself that I wouldn't start another project until I completely what I was working on.

Now, I need to stick to it. :D
Okay! You've seen what it is that you were doing to trip yourself up and now you have your ducks in a row. Just chip away at everything and even if you don't officially start another project, you can take an hour break away from your current ones to brainstorm on a new one.

That will help you in two areas: one it will give you a little mental break from the current ones and two, it will allow you to put all of your ideas down on paper, walk away from it and then come back to it later with fresher eyes.

Lena51

If you are going to make a to do list, why not do it this way. Whatever you have to do for the whole week, make a list for the week and go about it each day and as you finish each one check it off and if you haven't done all your to do list in the week then just put it on your list for the next week starting on Monday, do as many as you can and start your check off list again as you do them and that way the things that you need to do for the following week will begin after they have been finished and then you start over with what you need to do that next week and you will always have a list of what's next. That way you won't get overwhelmed and do them at your leisure as long as they get done. You don't necessarily have to do them in order, that way you will be changing up.

Sage

If you are going to make a to do list, why not do it this way. Whatever you have to do for the whole week, make a list for the week and go about it each day and as you finish each one check it off and if you haven't done all your to do list in the week then just put it on your list for the next week starting on Monday, do as many as you can and start your check off list again as you do them and that way the things that you need to do for the following week will begin after they have been finished and then you start over with what you need to do that next week and you will always have a list of what's next. That way you won't get overwhelmed and do them at your leisure as long as they get done. You don't necessarily have to do them in order, that way you will be changing up.
That is an interesting idea. I might have to try this. I do "To-Do" lists, but it seems like there is always too much on them to get done. Maybe thinking about it for the week will help. Thanks for the idea.

freshfoodie

I am always trying to do 50 things at once it seems. I don't let myself get overwhelmed because I know that even though all of these things need to be done, I am only one person and I can only do so much. If you just take a step back and realize you can only do so much then you should be fine.