Olive oil for makeup removal

EarthGirl

This is a tip I learned a few years ago. Olive oil is a great makeup remover!

Since most makeup is oil-based, you need an oil to remove it. But what is really surprising is that the olive oil has an astringent effect. You would think that putting oil on your face would make it more greasy, but it has the opposite effect! It really tightens the skin and softens it.

Here's how you do it. Put about 6 drops of olive oil in your hand. Use your fingertips to spread it all over your face. Then get a wash cloth as hot as you can stand it under the faucet. Lay the hot, wet cloth on your face for 30 seconds or so. Then wipe the oil off your face.

It really works well!

igotthyme

Awesome tip, I had no idea. I knew olive oil was good for your skin, but never thought it would be used in that way! It's got to be better than those store bought removers that dry out my face. Thank you.

freshfoodie

Wow, that is a really great tip! I buy olive oil for cooking anyway so this would be a money saver. I will be giving this a try tonight before bed, because my skin is really dry on my face.

Twinny

I have never heard of using olive oil to remove makeup. How does it smell? It just seems like it would smell weird on your face. Do you use another cleanser after using the olive oil? Does it cause acne?

EarthGirl

Well, I'll admit that when I have the hot washcloth on my face, I do start to crave a little pasta. But the smell doesn't linger after you wash it off.

It does not cause acne. You will be so surprised at how tight your skin is after, and not greasy. Just give it a try once and see what you think!

LoveNature

This is an excellent tip though I would personally recommend unrefined coconut oil over olive oil. You can do a `coconut cleanse` that uses the hot wash cloth in the way you described, except you would reheat the cloth 5-6 times and repeat the steaming. I`ve used this to improve my skin with excellent results.

Both are great as a makeup remover too, of course. And much more natural!

Healthy4us

Thanks for the awesome tips on both the olive oil and the coconut oil! Honestly, I have not heard of using either one before. Does this also act as a pore minimizer, since it leaves your skin tight?