Ok with any doctor?

chabella

All Lady
I tend to research a new doctor before I visit them or even before I pick them as a doctor. I found very little about my current one but as a first time visit he is great. I have never had luck with any female doctors. How many only see a female doctor only, I know a few of my friends are that way but I am not.

Pinkle

If you're talking about gynecologists, then yes, I'm one of those that will only see a female doctor. However, for a general physician, I don't really care about gender.

Lyra

I do prefer a female gynecologist for my comfort. But otherwise I don't care at all if I see a man or a woman. It is more important to me that the doctor listens and respects me.

Valerienne

The first time I went I also only considered a female doctor, but during the actual visit she made me feel uncomfortable with rude remarks about my personal choices. Then I did some research and found that three most recommended doctors in my area were men. My current gynecologist is a man and I'm comfortable with him.

Greenwoman

Honestly, in the beginning I wasn't too crazy about having a male gynecologist, but he wasn't so bad. A female nurse was there as well. Also, it gave me a little bit of comfort that he was elderly.

Luvkenny

I have had both male and female doctors. Honestly I think the male gynecologist listened to me more and was also a lot more gentle. He has retired now and I am back to a female doctor.

chabella

All Lady
My first gynecologist was a man so that may have been where it started from and he was also a family doctor (we were in a very small town at the time). I had a few female doctors when I was pregnant the last go around and while they were nice it really seemed like they did not listen nearly as much as the guys did. I guess if you pay a man to listen, he will. :D

Greenwoman

Luvkenny, I find it ironic that it was the male doctor that listened to you more because of the constant association with men and the inability to listen to women. In any case, you are lucky.

I am curious, why do so many people have problems with the female doctors?

Pinkle

Greenwoman - I have some friends that will only see male gynecologists, and I've asked them all that very same question. (What's your issue with a female doctor?) They responded by saying it made them uncomfortable to think about a woman being between their legs instead of a man. (Forgive me if that sounds crass.) Personally, I'm exactly the opposite. I feel more comfortable with a woman gynecologist because I don't feel like she'll be hitting on me or trying to take advantage of me sexually.

SoftRain

I don't really care if my gynecologist is male or female. I've had good experiences with both, although I have to admit so far the males have a better track record. My current one is male and he's awesome.

Hedda

I was in the military for 21 years and saw many doctors, both male and female for my health care. Male or female, their concern and mine was my health. Since we both had the same goal, it didn't matter who was male or female.