Oils On A Sandwich

iampeebs

What type of oils or mixes would be good to use on a veggie sandwich in place of mayo? I am working on losing weight and figured cutting the mayo out and replacing it was an oil would be better for me. Am I crazy? I just don't want a crappy , dry sandwich.

bettyblue

Well, to be honest I think that you should greatly reduce carbs if you want to lose weight, so if I was in your place I would just ditch the sandwich and ate something else instead. For instance those veggies with a nice dressing of extra virgin olive oil and some meat or eggs to make it more filling. It's not oil or fats in general that make you fat, it's mostly fructose and simple carbs.

pafjlh

Mustard is actually a good condiment to use because its mustard powder and vinegar. However, I have to agree with the individual who told you that eating sandwiches aren't a good ideawhen losing weight. Especially if you are using white bread, not whole wheat or multigrain. The thing is when trying to lose weight I have been told by my physician that limiting yourself to one carb per meal is recommended. Two slices of bread equal two carbs. So if you really mush have the sandwich cut it in half, and have something else such as a side salad, raw vegetables, no potato chips though once again a carb. b

iampeebs

Do you just do plain olive oil or do you spice it up with some herbs? I do the sandwich because it is easy and portable and fills me better than a salad. For some reason, I hate salads if I can't use fattening dressings.

bettyblue

Do you just do plain olive oil or do you spice it up with some herbs? I do the sandwich because it is easy and portable and fills me better than a salad. For some reason, I hate salads if I can't use fattening dressings.
I don't recommend eating salad without a dressing. Actually it's quite easy to prepare healthy salad dressing without any harmful additives and certainly not defeating your goal. Just make sure to use a high quality extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed and natural spices like garlic, pepper, whatever you like. It's actually proved that when you eat vegetables with dressing it helps to absorb nutrients from them.

You can spice it up with some herbs if you like. Rosemary, garlic, basil, etc, are all good ones. I usually don't. Extra virgin olive oil mixed with a good balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar is usually good enough for me for salads, and for sandwiches, plain extra virgin olive oil is good enough.