Obese and healthy

Asturian

Yes, it is medically believed that the more your weight, the greater risk of being prone to serious health problems (like diabetes and heart diseases) you are at. But I have an obese friend who is perfectly healthy. He said that the key is exercising regularly.

Marjorie

I do believe some people can be classified as obese and yet be healthy, especially when the criteria is the BMI chart, which has major issues. However, most people with extra weight are at greater risk for disease.

Georgina

I agree with you. Many people who are overweight are at risk for diseases, injuries, and issues like heart attacks. That does not mean they are essentially unhealthy though. I think that's something a lot of people are confused about. They automatically equate overweight with unhealthy.

chabella

All Lady
Your friend is lucky then as I know very few who are in the same boat. Right now I can think of two that I worry about dearly and neither want to do anything to change for the better.

Georgina

The more I think about it, the madder I get. Skinny does not equal healthy, overweight does not equal unhealthy. Some people eat perfectly healthy and exercise and are overweight. Every body is different.

Asturian

Georgina I agree with you, different people have different metabolism speed. Some people are lucky enough not to gain weight while they eat like "normal people" do.

Equinox

You guys are totally right. A skinny person who eats nothing but junk and greasy food, smokes, and drinks a lot is far from healthy. They may have a high metabolism and burn food off, that stops them from gaining weight, but they are still taking all those toxins in and health is not all about fat or skinny. It's about what you are putting in your body.

Novembre

I can't agree more with you. You are what you eat, how you eat, and not just how much you eat. Your health is not necessarily determined by the amount of fat you have in your body.

Iben

I agree that being obese is not necessarily being unhealthy. Some people were born 'big' and it is normal for them to be a little bit overweight and stay healthy.