Oat Soap

enthusiast

I think oat soap is really good for the skin and would love to make my own. I've never made soap before, though. Does anyone have a recipe for oat soap? Is it hard and time-consuming to make?

NLMomma

I have done it a few times. It's fun and always feels great. Here is the recipe I use the most often. Good luck and enjoy.

You will need the following raw materials for this oatmeal soap:

1. 4 cups of water

2. 16 ounces of essential oils; it would be best to mix coconut and olive oils. However make sure that the coconut oil will just form 25% of the oil solution.

3. 12 ounces of lye powder

4. A quarter cup of honey

5. 1 cup of ground oatmeal

First, you have to dissolve lye by mixing it slowly with water. Be very careful though because this solution will get too hot it would be best to mix it in a heat proof bowl. After thorough mixing, let it sit and allow the solution to cool.

The next step involves cooking the essential oils (coconut and olive) at 100 degrees. Set it aside after wards and wait for the oil; to cool down a bit.

If the oil mixture is not so hot already, slowly pour the lye solution. Mix continuously until the soap mixture achieves its tracing point. This means the liquid is thicker just like your favorite pudding.

Then add honey and the ground oatmeal while mixing to evenly distribute the additional ingredients. Pour the soap mixture into prepared molders and leave for 24 hours. You can now remove the soap from the molder. Cure it for a month.

TonicForMe

My wife bought some soap a friend had made with oats and roses. It had pieces of rose petals in it and it also had rose scent. She loved it and said it made her skin feel very soft.

enthusiast

Thank you for the recipe! Adding rose petals to it sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try it. I love oat soap and making my own will be wonderful.

Joyce

I will have to try this as well, it looks simple enough. I have all the ingredients in my house, so once I get the others done I will have to try this one.

CrunchyMama

Side note: the first 3-4 times I saw this thread's title, my mind saw "Oat Soup" instead of "Oat Soap" LOL! This does look like a pretty simple reciple; thank you for posting it!