natural deodorant

bettyblue

Do you know some good recipe for a natural deodorant/antiperspirant? With years I grew very worried about aluminum content and I discovered that even supposedly natural antiperspirants contain this harmful substance. I've heard that you can make something amazing with coconut oil, but I guess there is something more in this recipe. :)

Yes, there would have to be something more in the recipe than just coconut oil, haha!

I've been using a mixture of lavender oil and tea tree oil in a spray bottle with witch hazel. It works pretty well, but I have to reapply it a couple times a day. If anyone has a recipe for something that will work all day, that would be welcome.

gina121

I found this, if it'll help > How to Make Natural Deo

Using plain coconut oil and/or plain baking soda(!) on their own have also been recommended by some, although I haven't tried these. Coconut oil, for one, would be too sticky especially in humid weather. Not for me, am afraid!

I found this, if it'll help > How to Make Natural Deo

Using plain coconut oil and/or plain baking soda(!) on their own have also been recommended by some, although I haven't tried these. Coconut oil, for one, would be too sticky especially in humid weather. Not for me, am afraid!
That's one of the reasons I try to stick with liquid recipes that aren't too sticky. Also, I know that baking soda is great for odors in general, but I would always feel like I'd have white powdery streaks under my arms, and that can't possibly be comfortable.

claudine

I've heard there are these deodorants made of crystalline rocks from Asia. Apparently it doesn't contain any dyes, preservatives or alcohol and it's completely odorless. I haven't used it, so I don't know if it really works though.

Aletha

Claudine-I have tried it and it does work but I'm not sure what's in it. My mother and I used to use plain alcohol before I hit puberty. It did work for us in the wintertime but I can't remember if we used it in the summer. That's been a loooooong time ago. :D

Hyacinth

When I was young, my grandmother used to tell us to use baking soda instead of the commercial deodorants. Sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth then apply it to your underarms. I just read that you can also add a few drops of essential oil to the baking soda.

Lyra

I made my own with coconut oil, baking soda and essential oil. It works wonderfully. Unfortunately, after I had been using it for a few weeks, I got a rash under my arms. After a little research, I discovered that some people are sensitive to the very low ph of baking soda.

I halved the ratio of baking soda to coconut oil, and I can use it longer before getting a much milder burn. It still works great for odor control. Now I only use it for a few days at a time, and fill in with commercial deodorant otherwise.

If only there was a perfect solution.