Nail polish?

ShelbyM

So a friend told me it is unhealthy to wear nail polish. I've never heard that before. Does anyone know anything about this? I must admit I hate to think of having to get rid of my nail polish.

DixieMarie

Well I'm with you ShelbyM, I have never heard of this one either. I'm beginning to wonder what is healthy and what isn't anymore. It seems like every time you turn around they have come up with something else to watch out for.

GlassSlipper

Well put it this way, any chemical you put on your body, including shampoos, facial cleansers, makeup and yes nail polish, is eventually going to make it inside of you. So when you look at it that way it makes it easy to figure out what is bad for you.

wanderingherb

True, minute amounts though. Sometimes its easier to start with the areas we feel comfortable with and work out from that. I would say, probably not healthy, I don't wear it for that reason, BUT, it was never part of my routine. ;)

Since it is yours, I would say work in a different area for "healthier" and continue. Maybe someday you won't want to use it. But if you do, then that is your right.

I believe what the concern is; nails are dead. Keratin. However underneath is thin and open skin. Now, even though our nails are "dead" per se, they do have pores. So the chemical of the polish can go through the nail reaching that exposed under area of skin. Hence how the chemicals get into your body.

Looking at it from your angle you probably maintain your nails and keep a base on. Then the rest is probably not going to be a problem since it won't seep through the base. If you let it dry. I believe you know what I mean! You can always ask around for a "safer" base. Yet you will still be able to do your nails. I like pretty nails, but haven't really ever put effort into mine. :)

Anyhow I believe that is where this "red health warning flag" is coming from.

Asturian

Wow, that makes a lot of sense to me. I am glad not to have to deal with this. My wife love to use nail polish though. I should tell her at least not to use it too often.

Claudette

I haven't heard this one, but I think your nails might need to breathe a bit. When I used to have long acrylic nails, my hands were not in good shape, and my cuticles itched all the time. It was probably from the chemicals, but I know my nails are healthier now that I don't wear polish.

ShelbyM

Thanks for explaining that, wanderingherb. What you say makes sense. I never thought twice about the chemicals being able to seep in through pores in the nails. I like your approach to the issue, too.

Greyhair

Of course I don't use nail polish, but I am curious if all nail polish of any brands is 'bad' and contains hazardous materials. Is there any "organic" nail polish using no chemical ingredients?

ShelbyM

Greyhair, I have heard of nail polishes that are water-based. Those are supposed to be much safer, from what I understand. The downside is that they are not as durable, I think.