Methods for splinter removal

Lyra

I learned a new method of splinter removal. Apparently a paste of baking soda and water applied to the splinter area will draw the splinter out.

Other methods I know of are putting duct tape on it and pulling it out, swabbing the area with tea tree oil, and soaking in Epsom salts to pull the splinter out. What methods have you tried?

Valerienne

Unfortunately I don't know any, but do those methods you mention also work with glass shards? I'm a klutz and I broke three glasses over the last month, one of them in the middle of the night. I had to pick tiny shards from the carpet using wet tissues because I had a cat in the room and I couldn't vacuum it when everyone in the house was asleep.

I had breaking a glass, especially on a tile floor. It seems like you are always finding pieces and it is usually with your foot if you are barefoot! Lyra, I'll have to try that baking soda trick for a splinter, never heard of it before.

Primrose

That might just work Lyra! The only way I've ever been able to get splinters out is by digging with a needle. Painful but effective. I'll try the baking soda next time. Thanks!

Luvkenny

Those are great ideas. When I get a sliver I usually just take a needle to it. I like the baking soda paste idea. Do you really think the duct tape idea would work?

chabella

All Lady
I have never know of any either but I doubt I would try the duct tape, I would be too worried it could split off and end up worse than it started. We have always just used a good pair of eyes and tweezers.

Lyra

I really do think the duct tape works if any part of the splinter or shard is outside the skin. It has to have something to grab onto. Yes, these methods can work for glass shards as well. Though an easier method for glass may be to invite me over to walk barefoot in your house. If there is even the tiniest piece of glass missed in cleanup, it is my foot the shard will end up in. I don't understand why I attract broken glass to my poor, bare feet!

Greenwoman

My method is a bit primitive. Whenever I was a kid and I had a splinter, I, or my parents, would get a needle and tweezers to pull it out. Actually, as sad as it sounds, just thinking about doing this sounds fun. It must be the scientific side of me trying to come out.

SuzyQ

My husband is very accustomed to picking splinters out of my fingers with tweezers, as I seem to pick them up very easily. He has used a needle, but always sterilizes it with a flame first.

SoftRain

We use needle and tweezers too, although I read recently that it's usually best to let the splinter work itself out. That's not always practical though.

I want to try the baking soda paste idea next time. That sounds pretty cool.