Make Your Own Potpourri

Pat

I have used wild flowers, pine cones, apples, lemon peels and weeds to make my own potpourri over the years. I have added cinnamon, cloves and ginger to increase the aroma.

Has anyone here made their own potpourri?

I have used wild flowers, pine cones, apples, lemon peels and weeds to make my own potpourri over the years. I have added cinnamon, cloves and ginger to increase the aroma.

Has anyone here made their own potpourri?
Sounds like a winner, actually!

I don't usually make potpourri. I'd like to, but I feel like I'd have nowhere to put it. I do make my own perfumes, though, with essential oils and such, and spray them around the room.

Hickorycottage

I think this is great. I'm thinking about pine cones and lavender together. Maybe some dried orange peels. My grandma makes her own potpourri all the time.

btatro

Nope, I have not done so. I am not a big "scent" person though. Anything too floral(ry) or strong is too much for my nose. I usually go for either a light lavender or fresh linen type scent.

Mrs. Rogers

I tried boiling some oranges, cinnamon sticks, etc. on my stove top thinking it would have the scent all over my house and I could only smell it when I was standing next to my oven...lol. I haven't tried my hand at it since.

ivylaz

This is a lovely idea, how do you go about preparing/drying the various ingredients? Which work best?

hunysukle

That sounds like a great recipe for natural potpourri. I have heard that orange peels retain their scent for a long time. Pine cones are plentiful where I live, so I would love to use them in a potpourri. I think that any dried flowers would be great additions to potpourri. Thanks a lot for posting this.

DixieMarie

I've never tried this before. We are planning on planting a lot of different Herbs in our garden this year so I may give it a try and see how it goes.

dissn_it

I have never tried to make my own before. These are some really good ideas. I may have to try this! I have used just sprigs of lavendar in my bathrooms before and they smell wonderful.

Hyacinth

I have tried making my own potpourri. It has actually been a long time since I made one. For my potpourri, I remember using orange peel, cinnamon stick, and clove.

chabella

All Lady
I have tried dozens of times but I must be doing something wrong. They never seem to keep that fresh smell that everyone else has going on. What am I missing?

CityGirlLuv

I haven't tried to make one, but I always thought it'd be nice if I could. I honestly thought they'd be impossible to make. Seems like I'm gonna have to let my creative side come out and actually create one for a change.

livingreen2012

I was just thinking about making my own potpourri the other day. I have no idea on how to get started though. I was thinking just get some fake flowers and spray some mixture that smells good on it and put them around my apartment.