Least Annoying Bird?

Melissa

My husband wants to get a bird but I cant stand the darn things. I for one think its cruel to lock them up in a cage and I dont like all the chirping. Is there any breed of bird I could possibly tame? We have a large home so I would be making a bedroom for the bird in stead of keeping it in a cage.
Thanks!

sandooch

I don't understand what you mean by tame. It sounds like you want to train it not to chirp, but that would be impossible. But if you are looking for a quiet bird, a canary or a finch have a soft, delicate chirp. I would recommend also, since you don't want to put it in a small cage, to put it in an aviary outside of your home. I'm not one for keeping birds near small children, and I noticed in our profile picture that you have a baby. Many infants can get allergies caused from birds, so please be aware of this and maybe bring it up to your husband.

Esperahol

I would definitely steer you away from Parrots and the like. They are large, loud, need a great deal of attention, and their great beaks will mess you up should they decide to bite. I second the notion of informing your husband that birds tend to carry some health risk to their owners, especially if there are children about.

A bird is the worst choice you can make based on the first post in this...you want it to be tame and not chirp? Bird owners love birds because they are pretty free-spirits and bring a completely different element than a cat or dog.

You should see what else he likes and get more information about that because birds are really awesome pets but you need to want to take care of one.

Waynefire

If you want a bird not to chirp then you should not even begin to look at a bird as a pet. I know for me I have had a parrot in the past and she was a great companion bird, but even then she would chirp if something startled her or she was not getting enough attention. So parrots would be out if you want to have a bird which is quiet. However, if you want to have a bird which is somewhat quiet and more tame then most then I would have to recommend a finch. They have the normal finch type of songs, but they only sing if they have a partner with them or they are located around other birds.

Luvkenny

If I were you I would not get a bird. You have to be a special kind of person to wants birds as pets. I don't like birds and I wouldn't agree to get one even if my hubby wanted me to.

writer811

Yeah, you really shouldn't get a bird if you don't want chirping. Birds are gonna chirp. It's what they do. If you insist though, my grandma used to have a pet canary and he had a very quiet chirp so we never really had any noise problems with him. I don't know if this is a trait all canaries share but a poster above mentioned them so it's worth a look.

Birds chirp naturally and this is something you will have to deal with when you have any birds around your home. Just remember birds are a naturally chirping animal and this is how they will communicate. So you should make sure you have this in mind when you are buying your bird and if the chirping will annoy you, then you may not want to get a bird at all.

xenon

My husband wants to get a bird but I cant stand the darn things. I for one think its cruel to lock them up in a cage and I dont like all the chirping. Is there any breed of bird I could possibly tame? We have a large home so I would be making a bedroom for the bird in stead of keeping it in a cage.
Thanks!
You need to convince him you are not interested in birds. If you can't stand them then it is a bad choice to keep them as a pet.
Will your husband do all the cleaning feeding and caring? Possibly not.

writer811

Maybe we're all going about this the wrong way. Is there a soundproof room in your house or a way for you to soundproof one of the rooms? Or even just to manipulate the acoustics so they sound has a harder time escaping? A friend of mine did that to her bedroom (I wonder why the bedroom) by covering the walls in some kind of weird paper (I don't know specifically what, sorry) and after it was all put up, you could hardly hear anything from the room, even loud noises.

Melissa

Maybe we're all going about this the wrong way. Is there a soundproof room in your house or a way for you to soundproof one of the rooms? Or even just to manipulate the acoustics so they sound has a harder time escaping? A friend of mine did that to her bedroom (I wonder why the bedroom) by covering the walls in some kind of weird paper (I don't know specifically what, sorry) and after it was all put up, you could hardly hear anything from the room, even loud noises.
This is kind of along the lines what I was looking for :) Yes we can soundproof the spere room and thats a lovely idea!! Thank you! You were correct as in I am not expecting a bird not to chirp, thats impossible. I just wanted to minimize the chirpping as I know some birds make more noise than others.

Melissa

I don't understand what you mean by tame. It sounds like you want to train it not to chirp, but that would be impossible. But if you are looking for a quiet bird, a canary or a finch have a soft, delicate chirp. I would recommend also, since you don't want to put it in a small cage, to put it in an aviary outside of your home. I'm not one for keeping birds near small children, and I noticed in our profile picture that you have a baby. Many infants can get allergies caused from birds, so please be aware of this and maybe bring it up to your husband.
This cage is a wonderful idea and I will definitely consider one for the summertime :) It gets a bit chilly here in Canada in the winter months so I would liek to keep my Bird indoors until its nice and sunny out ;) I figured letting it have its own room would be a great idea!

Melissa

I guess by tame I didnt mean in quieting the bird up, I meant that could I possible train one to maybe sit with me so I can bring it outside? Ive seen a few parrots do it and was wondering how to go about it, Id hate to keep a pet cooped up all day..

sandooch

Just keep in mind that parrots are LOUD, sometimes deafeningly loud. If you want to keep it on your shoulder or arm without flying away, you need to know how to clip its wing feathers to prevent it from flying away. This doesn't hurt the bird. It just keeps them from flying away too far. The feathers grow back, so you'd have to clip them regularly. Here's a video showing how to do it:

Did you talk to your husband about the potential health risks of having a bird around with a small child?

writer811

You can clip your bird's wings to make it so they can't fly well. That way if they try to escape, it'll be a lot easier to catch them. I wouldn't try to do it yourself, I would see if you can find a vet that knows how to do it. And I'm glad I could help you out with the soundproofing advice! :)

artistry

I had a finch once, which had a beautiful song. Otherwise he was very quiet in his cage. Compared to other birds, finches are relatively quiet. A parrot is loud and raucous. Not a quiet bird.