Learned something new

freshfoodie

Today I learned that tomatoes are not annuals but perennials. I came across a random tomato plant in the garden area, but I didn't plant any this year. It is a leftover from last year. how weird is that? I am pretty excited about having fresh tomatoes this year though.

lolli

They are called voluntary plants. I bet a seed took root and now you have a plant. We have these too. We also have pumpkins and gourds. They just grow sometimes in a spot where one rotted into the ground.

chabella

All Lady
I have never managed to get a surprise like that in a garden. Most of the ones I get are moles, the neighbors cat or random tree branches that fall over during the storms. :D

StarGazer

Tomatoes are annuals, but apparently you got lucky. I wouldn't mind having that kind of luck once in a while, but I'm pretty sure it will never happen as long as I'm doing container gardening for my tomato plants. ;)

freshfoodie

Actually, StarGazer, I Googled it and from what I gathered they are called "tender perennials". In most zones in the US they are grown as annuals. There is more information about it here. I was surprised too because I had always thought they were annuals. I guess I will quit pulling my plants every year.

rayne

This can also happen with herbs if you let them go to seed. I have a random basil plant in my garden this year. I know this because I planted peppers over the spot this year and right there in the middle is beautiful little basil plant. Surprise!

Lyra

Wow, how fun! I once had a lemon balm volunteer, and, of course, mint will take over the garden. But I've never had anything as exciting as a bonus tomato plant appear. Enjoy your unexpected bounty!

Cobbler

It's a good surprise indeed when this happens with a food plant. It doesn't happen a lot from what I hear, but when it does it's a pleasant surprise.