Kava Kava for social anxiety?

Monique Seibel

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. But I recently decided to stop taking medication for my social anxiety disorder, and it was a decision support by my psychologist. Therefore, I've been looking into more natural remedies and I came across Kava Kava. I was just wondering if anybody has had any success with it? Or any other herbal supplement that is known to be helpful for anxiety? Thanks so much!

shaunche

St John's Wart can help with anxiety. Kava Kava will make you feel more relaxed if it is good quality Kava Kava. i think the best remedy for social anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy. Taking Kava Kava every time you go out will not solve the problem.

Lyra

St John's Wart can help with anxiety. Kava Kava will make you feel more relaxed if it is good quality Kava Kava. i think the best remedy for social anxiety is cognitive behavioral therapy. Taking Kava Kava every time you go out will not solve the problem.
Good post. I think that you can use some herbs to help you along, but they will not solve the problem ultimately.

I've taken Kava Kava a few times, but it makes me a little too relaxed. It might be because I was already tired when I took it, but it made me pretty sleepy. But I have it in an herbal blend with some other things and that does seem to help smooth out anxiety when I need it.

Monique Seibel

Thank you both for your answers. And I agree, wholeheartedly, about CBT. It is something I'm always pursuing and have done multiple groups for. I will look into St. John's Wart though, I have heard the name before. But I think Kava Kava might be good for those times I'm just anxious and can't relax when I'm just sitting at home anticipating something. Although, I would always use it in conjunction with my CBT exercises.

shaunche

Thank you both for your answers. And I agree, wholeheartedly, about CBT. It is something I'm always pursuing and have done multiple groups for. I will look into St. John's Wart though, I have heard the name before. But I think Kava Kava might be good for those times I'm just anxious and can't relax when I'm just sitting at home anticipating something. Although, I would always use it in conjunction with my CBT exercises.
I would have thought the best time to use it would be prior to the social event, to help you feel relaxed in the social environment. CBT should teach you how to stop worrying about the event beforehand, it is an essential part of overcoming social anxiety.

Carolynn

St. John's Wort is supposed to be really good for relaxtion and anxiety, and I know some other people who use Valerian root for the same thing. I have yet to find kava kava alone, but I have found it in blends with CQ10 before. I am just not sure what the CQ10 is for yet. :)

Monique Seibel

St. John's Wort is supposed to be really good for relaxtion and anxiety, and I know some other people who use Valerian root for the same thing. I have yet to find kava kava alone, but I have found it in blends with CQ10 before. I am just not sure what the CQ10 is for yet. :)
Thanks for your response! Its very interesting you mention Valerian root. I have herbal tea I drink before bed from David's Teas that has Chamomile and Valerian root in it. Therefore, it must be some form of calming agent. I do find the tea helps me fall asleep.

HealthyS7

I would drink this Kava Kava apricot juice in high school and it worked wonders, but was pulled off the market in my area. Now I take GABA chewables and that works instantly. Look into GABA to calm you down.

Carolynn

Valerian root is actually the herb that Valium is derived from so yes it is a calming agent. :) Healthy, is GABA the name of the supplement or the ingredient that I am looking for?

shaunche

Valerian root is actually the herb that Valium is derived from so yes it is a calming agent. :) Healthy, is GABA the name of the supplement or the ingredient that I am looking for?
Valerian root is a common natural remedy for insomnia. It can make you feel sleepy, something would need to be aware of if you work with machinery etc. Have you ever used Valerian root? Did it make you feel calm and sleepy or just calm?

beckyv1265

What is it that makes you anxious? I am just curious because I don't have an anxious bone in my body so its hard for me to relate with this disorder. I am always excited to go out to a party or event. I am such a social creature. I take valerian root to help me relax after a stressful day of dealing with teenagers. They are such dramatic individuals with poor self control issues. lol I was just curious about what makes you nervous?

thatgirl

I was just asking about something similar. I'll second the recommendation for Valerian and CBT techniques. Someone helpfully suggested Passion Flower to me. I've heard that too much Kava can be dangerous for your liver, though, so I would do some more research on it.

Parker

Kava Kava is used for anxiety but it does have a possible side effect. There is a slight chance that it will affect your liver. Also, when taking St. John's Wart it's best to avoid direct sunlight.

I much prefer to use herbs over prescription medications, but just because it's an herb doesn't mean that it has no side effects.

kensclark15

Kava Kava rarely affects your liver. The FDA says it can cause liver damage but that is only if you OD or you use the leaves of the Kava plant. Only use the roots.

natastic

I've been wondering if there was anything natural to help my anxiety. Thanks for the suggestions. Most of the things I have taken don't help the anxiety. They simply make me sleepy.

I try to control the anxiety with deep breathing and focusing on other things, but nothing helps and I don't want to take prescription pills. I'm hoping kava kava will help a bit.

leyash

Are there any supplements that can be used for anxiety (more particularly, health anxiety) that will NOT make you tired?

SweetPea

What is it that makes you anxious? I am just curious because I don't have an anxious bone in my body so its hard for me to relate with this disorder. I am always excited to go out to a party or event. I am such a social creature. I take valerian root to help me relax after a stressful day of dealing with teenagers. They are such dramatic individuals with poor self control issues. lol I was just curious about what makes you nervous?
It depends. I suffer from generalized anxiety and sometimes social as well as triggered panic attacks. Its awful and can really take a toll on you because you become afraid to experience the attacks. Pretty much generalized has no rhyme or reason. Social hits me occasionally. I also have things that will trigger, places with lots of commotion, screaming kids pretty much Chucke cheese is hell to me and not just in the normal sense. Im in the understanding that it is an adrenaline disorder. Your body goes into fight or flight mode at the wrong times or for the wrong reasons.

Beth23

Thats your neurotransmitters. If they are not balanced outside stimuli can send you into the fight or flight response.

Along with the Kava Kava and Valerian root suggestions make sure your diet is really clean and high in amino acids. Lack of any one amino can put them out of balance for some people. I use braggs aminos that you can buy in most health food stores and just add to your food.

Beth

shaunche

Thats your neurotransmitters. If they are not balanced outside stimuli can send you into the fight or flight response.

Along with the Kava Kava and Valerian root suggestions make sure your diet is really clean and high in amino acids. Lack of any one amino can put them out of balance for some people. I use braggs aminos that you can buy in most health food stores and just add to your food.

Beth
You don't need to buy amino acids. Meat, eggs and fish supply a full profile of amino acids. I've seen Valerian root mentioned a few times for anxiety. Does it actually work? How do you take it?

I've started using chamomile tea, it makes me feel more relaxed and drowsy.

beckyv1265

It depends. I suffer from generalized anxiety and sometimes social as well as triggered panic attacks. Its awful and can really take a toll on you because you become afraid to experience the attacks. Pretty much generalized has no rhyme or reason. Social hits me occasionally. I also have things that will trigger, places with lots of commotion, screaming kids pretty much Chucke cheese is hell to me and not just in the normal sense. Im in the understanding that it is an adrenaline disorder. Your body goes into fight or flight mode at the wrong times or for the wrong reasons.
Lol I hear you on the Chucky Cheese. I won't even go in the place. Not out of fear I just can't stand the noise levels and the crowds. I am not big into crowds though not out of fear but because I just get annoyed when I can't get around easily. Thats why I prefer to shop on off days and at night when others are not around. Have you tried facing the fears? Forcing yourself to deal with it? I seem to have been born with a lack of fear. That can be as problamatic as healthy fear. My mother always said that I would run into where Angels fear to tread. It has gotten me into a scrape or two. lol I find though that as I get older I am less inclined to do things that I know will cause pain. I no longer race motorcycles or ride bucking broncs. I also no longer have the desire to jump from airplanes. I would say that I have become more cautious. lol Good luck in treating your fears. I really feel for you and hope you find what works.