Is there any vegans or vegeatarians out there?

TheCause

I myself have been a vegetarian for about a year and a half. I try and stay away from eggs and milk as much as possible. I used to think it would be impossible to give up meat, but if you put 5 minutes of thought into the death of a living creature that is almost just like us (except no voice box, so its a lot harder to get smarter and evolve), just so we can have a 99 cent cheeseburger and be hungry again in an hour or two is really sad. We only get one life on Earth :\
Not to mention, THE SOY BURGERS TASTE THE EXACT SAME!
Ok I'm sorry I'm ranting. The lifestyle has grown on me a lot I guess.
But yea, a lot of the vegan and vegetarian meals taste the same.

Anyone other veg heads out there?

If that seemed a little harsh let me know, I'll be happy to edit it. It's just surprising that an actual life, cost less than a plant.

gar

I for once tried to be a vegetarian for about a three days and I couldn't last. Eventually, I ate a grilled pork. I thought I can survive just eating carrots, bananas and fruits. I didn't even avoid eggs from the start since I cook a Bitter melon with eggs on it.

Its really difficult when you get to have no companion and dedication when you want to become a vegan. :D

dissn_it

The reason a lot of folks become vegetarian is because they feel the same way that you do. I have a daughter who has been a vegetarian since she was a teenager. We learned a lot from her and supported her decision. A meatless meal can be delicious and nutritious. We noticed after eating a meatless meal, you feel full but not bloated.

TheCause

I for once tried to be a vegetarian for about a three days and I couldn't last. Eventually, I ate a grilled pork. I thought I can survive just eating carrots, bananas and fruits. I didn't even avoid eggs from the start since I cook a Bitter melon with eggs on it.

Its really difficult when you get to have no companion and dedication when you want to become a vegan. :D
Its totally different. You dont just eat carrots and stuff haha. I couldn't handle the Bugs Bunny deal (it's called being a Raw Vegan). They have soy burgers, which taste just as good as real burger (the same pretty much). They have vegetarian buffalo wings, chicken nuggets, BBQ Pork Rib (Its like a better version of the McRib), the list goes on and on. It all taste the exact same, it is just a little more pricey.

Suzie

What is in these burgers that make it taste exactly the same? Are you just trading one flaw for another? Sometimes I have the same thought about animals.

peacenik

I have to admit to being an unashamed carnivore. I don't eat a lot of meat per portion but I don't think I could ever go completely meatless more than a couple of times per week.

I have to admit to being an unashamed carnivore. I don't eat a lot of meat per portion but I don't think I could ever go completely meatless more than a couple of times per week.
Me either. I neec to have meat a few times a week, and I have animal products every day.

Also, I don't understand the humanitarian argument. Plants are also alive, but nobody ever talks about the inumane farming and consumption of plants. Studies have been done, and plants feel pain just like animals. The only way out of murder for consumption is to eat chemically created food that was never alive... and I'm sure its obvious why that's a bad idea.

TheCause

What is in these burgers that make it taste exactly the same? Are you just trading one flaw for another? Sometimes I have the same thought about animals.
I don't have enough posts to post a link, but do a google search for Morning Star burgers. Some of them have egg in them, but they are surprisingly good. I would give them a shot, they have 58% less fat than a normal ground beef burger, and a good source of protein as well.

I totally understand. There was no way I would have ever dreamed of giving up meat. It is all I ate. I just came to the realization that I could just as easily be a cow instead of a human. I mean seriously, it sounds weird but it really isn't like we have much of a choice, you know? I still wouldn't have thought I could do it, but as I said the food tastes very similar. They have a bran of deli meat called "Tofurkey". It tastes the same as normal deli meat. In fact they have an item called "Peppered Tofurkey". It is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Originally Posted by peacenik
Me either. I neec to have meat a few times a week, and I have animal products every day.
Also, I don't understand the humanitarian argument. Plants are also alive, but nobody ever talks about the inumane farming and consumption of plants. Studies have been done, and plants feel pain just like animals. The only way out of murder for consumption is to eat chemically created food that was never alive... and I'm sure its obvious why that's a bad idea.
I have never heard of a study like this. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but do you have a link?

SoftRain

I like meat and disagree that soy burgers taste just the same. Besides, I prefer to avoid soy products as much as I can. I have made an effort to eat less meat though and have found some wonderful vegetarian recipes to eat a few times a week.

I don't have enough posts to post a link, but do a google search for Morning Star burgers. Some of them have egg in them, but they are surprisingly good. I would give them a shot, they have 58% less fat than a normal ground beef burger, and a good source of protein as well.

I totally understand. There was no way I would have ever dreamed of giving up meat. It is all I ate. I just came to the realization that I could just as easily be a cow instead of a human. I mean seriously, it sounds weird but it really isn't like we have much of a choice, you know? I still wouldn't have thought I could do it, but as I said the food tastes very similar. They have a bran of deli meat called "Tofurkey". It tastes the same as normal deli meat. In fact they have an item called "Peppered Tofurkey". It is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

I have never heard of a study like this. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but do you have a link?
Here's the wikipedia page for the book I was referencing: The Secret Life of Plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He did experiments on plants and found that they had reactions to stimuli that could be monitored with a machine.

TheCause

I like meat and disagree that soy burgers taste just the same. Besides, I prefer to avoid soy products as much as I can. I have made an effort to eat less meat though and have found some wonderful vegetarian recipes to eat a few times a week.
Have you tried Morning Star brand? You might be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCause

Here's the wikipedia page for the book I was referencing: The Secret Life of Plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He did experiments on plants and found that they had reactions to stimuli that could be monitored with a machine.
That't interesting, I'll have to check it out. I just know that they don't have a brain to process pain, or a central nervous system. They don't have emotions though, eyes to see, or anything that makes up a mammal.

I do think it is kind of weird that (cow or human) it cost more to buy a burger, than a plant based burger.