I hate when . . . (sort of a rant)

AnonaMoss

I hate when I go out to eat with friends who want to taste my food all the time. It's okay to do that sometimes, but when you've just got to try everyone else's dinner it's so annoying. I went to dinner with a couple of friends, and there was all this reaching over the table to get a sample of dishes. One of my best friends is the main culprit. Everytime we go to a restaurant she's asking "What did you get? What is that? What's in that? May I taste it." The period behind "May I taste it?" is intentional. Usually her fork is already in flight before anyone can answer. Maybe i'm just unreasonable, but I find it rude. If you really wanted what I ordered, you should have ordered it. Don't take the fork that you've already tasted your own food with, then use it to "sample" other people's dishes. Ugh! :eek: Like I said, it's okay from time to time, but my entree is not an appetizer.

jovan107

I think your friend was being very rude. I also believe that you guys encourage this behavior from her, because no one has said anything about it. You should talk to your friend about this and how it affects you, if she doesn't stop then I do not go to dinner with her.

dissn_it

That is pretty rude and you are not being unreasonable. I think you do need to do something about it or it will simply ruin eating out with them altogether. Perhaps suggest getting a spare, clean plate to have everyone put a sample of their order for others to sample bites from may help.

jovan107

Dissn_it, I agree with you, I was about to edit my post when I saw your comment. My family and I always put a sample of what we ordered on a separate plate. I think this would work perfectly in this situation.

artistry

I think it is rude also, but I do agree that you should tell her, so she knows it is annoying to you. Otherwise she will continue to be a pest. Tell her by herself, that you would appreciate it if she would stop, or you will tell her what you are ordering, so that she can order the same. Your food should be yours to enjoy. Or else you all should start going to Chinese restaurants and get the family style meal, so everyone can taste everything. Cheers.

HealthyS7

I hate it when people come between me and my food. Unless we plan to split plates beforehand, it annoys me when friends are constantly trying to taste my food (especially expensive/small portions of it!). You have my full support on this one!

sandooch

I don't mind too much if they want to taste my dinner. But Lord help them if they try to get their spoon near my dessert. They might just lose a finger or two. :mad:

SweetPea

I really dont like that, my SIL is like that grosses me out. Next time ask for some extra forks and just give her a sample on a clean fork.

srj

My friends never do that. I wouldn't mind if they did though, I am a generous person :) You just need to say No to your friends.

Esperahol

You can ask for a small plate to put bits on - or you can just say no... The reason for why you're saying no can be whatever - it can be the truth or you could say you're coming down with a cold.

misumaru15

Hmm, I think you should say something to her. She might be clueless. I know sometimes my boyfriend will offer me a forkful of his food. I might do the same. However I don't go diving into his plate, nor he mine.

kayhill

Wow. These "friends" would not be my friends for long. I think that is rude and disgusting. If they insist on doing that and you insist on remaining friends with them, be sure to ask the server for extra plates and silverware so they will not be in your plate like that.

marchese

i guess if it happens all the time it could be annoying but I don't know if I would find it as annoying as you do. But then again, if I was annoyed I would just tell them to piss off and leave my meal alone. I;m just blunt like that, lol.

I don't think it was rude, especially considering you let it happen every time. You have now set a precedent and he thinks it is okay to do since no one has told him otherwise. You need to change it up without being rude to him about it; since this is partially your fault as well.

I would suggest trying to maybe get some family style meals that everyone can sample or put a small portion onto a side plate for anyone who wants to try.

xenon

I find this kind of trial tasting a bit disconcerting. If the meal is not an intended share style meal that is common at Asian restaurants then I feel the flying fork should be put away. Your friend sounds as if she is a touch greedy and wouldn't want to miss out on something that may be better. I have in the past ordered something new and when it arrived wondered why I had bothered and should have ordered the same as my friends. But I don't go asking for samples or commenting on my bad choice until maybe when the meal is completed.

Lena51

That is so annoying for someone to reach over and get your food from your plate to taste. I would have to let them know that they can order the same thing that I have and please don't touch my food. I can't stand it when someone does that because I don't know if there hands are clean enough to be reaching for my food. It make me sick to my stomach and I don't want it afterwards.

AnonaMoss

I don't think it was rude, especially considering you let it happen every time. You have now set a precedent and he thinks it is okay to do since no one has told him otherwise. You need to change it up without being rude to him about it; since this is partially your fault as well.

I would suggest trying to maybe get some family style meals that everyone can sample or put a small portion onto a side plate for anyone who wants to try.

You're right. I should've said something earlier. I guess i'm too nice, and she has this way of being the victim all the time so usually I try to decide if i'm just being unreasonable/uptight. After seeing these responses I don't feel so bad about my feelings.

ohiotom76

We've done this at work lunches when welcoming new employees, but we all agreed to it at the beginning of the meal that we would order a bunch of items and share with everyone. It was more of a team building thing. Some restaurants do serve items "family style", meaning you can order everything individually and larger side dish portions that are meant to be shared. She might just be doing it as an over anxious way of trying to bring everyone together.

On the other hand, if I were eating at an expensive restaurant that served more modest portions, and someone was doing that I would put a stop to that. I don't want samples of everyone elses food, I might not even like what they ordered and the flavors don't pair well with my meal. And I agree, it is rude to be shuffling plates and scraping food off of everyone else's plates like that. Makes a mess at the table, and makes a spectacle in the restaurant - disturbing other guests too.

Lena51

Yes, you should say something about her habit. I do not want anyone reaching for my food. If she wants to taste everything, she should go to a buffet style so she can taste all she wants, but stay away from my plate because you are not sanitary enough for me, to be reaching for my food. So speak up and let her know, AnonaMoss.

claudine

I find it rude too. I think the only solution is to be firm and tell her that you don't like it. Don't do this with an angry voice, just calmly and shortly explain that it annoys you. I'd be annoyed too. I also don't like when I have a bottle of water with me and my colleagues who I don't know that well ask me if I could share. In situations like this I always tell that I have a cold.